Grades: K - 7 | 297 students
St. John School was the first Catholic elementary school in the city of Lawrence. The school opened on September 6, 1956 as a parish school for children attending St. John the Evangelist Catholic Church. Offering a Catholic education for grades 1st-8th, the school opened under the leadership of Sister Owen Marie Falk, Principal, Sister of Charity of Leavenworth. In 1957, the first 6th grade class of 16 students graduated. Sister Joan These` Cunningham, SCL, became the second principal of St. John School until 1960 when Sister Angela Marie Domann, SCL, arrived. In 1961, the first 8th grade class of 31 students graduated. The St. John Catholic School Benefit Auction has grown into a 2 day event held at St. John School located at 1208 Kentucky, Lawrence, KS. The school is a 501 not for profit organization for the benefit of children attending St. John School, a Pre K - 6th grade, two section school with more than 260 students. St. John School is accredited through the North Central Association and the State of Kansas. All teachers and administration are state certified teachers.