Grades: PK-12 | 538 students
Since 1961, the German School Washington, D.C. unites European traditions and values with American dynamics to give young people the ideal foundation for the future in a global world.
Because of our proximity to the U.S. capital, we can offer our students a truly unique environment.
Lectures and presentations by high-ranking diplomats, politicians, authors and scientists during the weekly Lecture Series are just as much part of it, as are visits to various embassies, world-class museums and the participation at a Model United Nations meeting for teenagers in Washington, D.C. The teaching philosophy is based on and incorporates the latest technological, scientific, cultural and pedagogical developments.
The excellent bilingual education – which leads to university access in Europe and the United States – is completed by holistic learning and the development of the whole person.
Respect and mutual understanding are not empty words here, but a part of daily life.
Of course, athletics, theater and many extracurricular activities also belong to the school life.
We have our own indoor swimming pool, three gymnasiums, an outdoor sports area, as well as a stage and an auditorium for theater productions and presentations.
Our students, parents and teachers know that the world does not end in the classroom – it only begins there.
|School Type||School with Special Program Emphasis|
|School Membership(s)School Assoc.||Other school association(s)|
|Grades Offered||Grades Prekindergarten-12|
|Learning Difference Programs||Yes|
|Learning Programs Supported||Dyslexia, Language based, LD|
|Total Students||538 students|
|Student Body Type||Co-ed|
|Students by Grade|
Academics and Faculty
|Total Classroom Teachers||75 teachers|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||7:1
National avg.: 13:1
|% Faculty w/Advanced Degree||
|Number of AP Courses||7 courses|
|Advanced Courses||1 Biology, 1 English, 1 French, 1 German, 1 Physics, 2 Mathematics,|
|Average SAT score||1858|
|Classroom Dress Code||Casual
Finances and Admission
|Admission Deadline||None / Rolling|
|Yearly Tuition Cost||$10,700|
|Tuition Notes||Tuition rates depend on the child\'s age and grade. Limited financial aid is available.|
|Admissions Director||Susanne Rosenbaum|
|Total Sports Offered||9 sports|
|Sports||Basketball, Indoor Soccer, Soccer, Softball, Swimming, Tennis, Track and Field, Ultimate Frisbee, VolleyballBasketball, Indoor Soccer,
Track and Field, Ultimate Frisbee,
|Total ExtracurricularsTotal Extra-curric.||9 extracurriculars|
|ExtracurricularsExtra-curric.||Big Band, Choir, Gymnastics, Karate, Model Train, Model UN, Science, Swim Team, Yearbook Big Band, Choir, Gymnastics, Karate, Model Train, Model UN, Science, Swim Team, Yearbook,|
- Established in 1961 as the first government supported German School in North America
- Accredited by the Conference of Ministers of Education, Federal Republic of Germany
- Approved by the Department of Education, Maryland
- Member of the Association of Independent Schools of Greater Washington (AISGW)
- Multinational student body representing approximately 15 different countries
- Instructional Languages: German; English program for native speakers; U.S. History is taught in English, while History and Geography have bilingual sequences in grades 7-9
- Other Languages: French, Spanish and Latin
- German curriculum (Free State of Thuringia)
- Approximately 75 teachers most with advanced degrees
- Students have the option of taking a variety of courses at the Advanced Placement (AP) level.
- Diplomas: Abitur, which qualifies students for entry into German and European universities. The Abitur is recognized worldwide, and American colleges typically grant students advanced standing.
- High School Diploma requires 24 academic units. • English: 4 credits • Math: 4 credits • Foreign Languages: 5 credits • Sciences: 3.5 credits • Social Studies: 3.5 credits • Fine Arts: 2 credits • Sports: 2 credits Universities that have accepted our graduates include: • American University • Brown University • Carnegie Mellon University • Catholic University • Cornell University • Duke University • Georgetown University • Harvard University • Johns Hopkins University • Princeton University • Stanford University • United States Air Force Academy • University of Virginia • Yale University
Profile last updated: 09/24/2015
- School Location Miles Grades Students
PotomacGrades: KG-8 | 258 students
9222 Kentsdale Dr
Potomac, MD 20854
PotomacGrades: 6-12 | 304 students
9029 Bradley Blvd
Potomac, MD 20854
BethesdaGrades: K-8 | 476 students
8821 River Road
Bethesda, MD 20817
BethesdaGrades: 1-8 | 223 students
9600 Seven Locks Rd
Bethesda, MD 20817
BethesdaGrades: PK-1 | 52 students
7730 Bradley Blvd
Bethesda, MD 20817
Rental Market Monitor
September 20, 2015
It is easy to fall into the trap of not keeping your skill-set current. There's no time and no need anyway. We look at why you need to keep things current and offer some suggestions as to how to proceed.
September 07, 2015
Choosing the right school for your child is a major project. We look a five reasons why you might be looking at the wrong schools.
August 30, 2015
Scandals in private school are bound to raise questions for those of us thinking about sending our children to private school. Regardless of how sensational these scandals may appear, they are actually few and far between.