Kimball Union Academy
|School Membership(s)||New England Association of Schools and Colleges
National Association of Independent Schools (NAIS)
The Association of Boarding Schools (TABS)
|Grades Offered||Grades 9 - 12|
|Offers Post-Graduate Year||Yes|
|Total Students||314 students|
|Student Body Type||Co-ed|
|% Students of Color||10% (NH School Avg.: 10%)|
|Students by Grade|
|Academics and Faculty|
|Total Classroom Teachers||53 teachers|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||6:1 (National school avg.: 13:1)|
|% Faculty w/Advanced Degree||70%|
|Average Class Size||12 students|
|Number of AP Courses||19 courses|
|Art History||Calculus AB|
|English Language||English Literature|
|Environmental Science||European History|
|French Language||Human Geography|
|Latin: Literature||Latin: Vergil|
|Physics B||Spanish Language|
|U.S. History||World History|
|Classroom dress code||Formal|
|Finances and Admission|
|Admission Deadline||Feb. 1 / rolling|
|Yearly Tuition Cost||$45,990|
|Tuition Notes||Day $28,850.|
|% on Financial Aid||45%|
|Average Financial Aid Grant||$18,000|
|Admissions Director||Rich Ryerson|
|Admissions Associate||Emme Duncan|
|Total Sports Offered||20 sports|
|Mountain Biking||Nordic Skiing|
|Total Extracurriculars||24 extracurriculars|
|Aerobics||Alpine Skiing (recreational)|
|Chess Club||Community Service|
|Dorm Proctors||Environmental Club|
|Fitness Training||Foreign Language Clubs|
|Gay/Straight Alliance (GSA)||Habitat for Humanity|
|Honor Council||Literary Magazine|
|Math Club||Model UN|
|Newspaper||Outing Club (canoeing, hiking, etc)|
- ACADEMICS We provide a challenging curriculum for students in grades 9–12 and PG.
- Small classes with an average size of 12
- Constant access to first-class faculty. Our student ratio is 6:1
- Strong advisor program with regular progress reports
- Traditional college preparatory curriculum
- ARTS The Arts have long held a prominent place in the life of Kimball Union Academy. This fact can be clearly seen in the breadth and depth of our class offerings, our numerous extra-curricular options, and through the creation and utilization of the “H Block”, a time slot designated solely for Arts ensembles. Whether your passion is instrumental or vocal music, dance, theater, or video, ceramics or woodworking, computer supported graphic design or traditional painting, Kimball Union offers the support of faculty, facilities, and opportunities to help your work flourish.
- The Flickinger Arts Center supplies not only the infrastructure to support your efforts, but a community of warm, committed students and faculty that make our work together joyous and sustainable. Come, visit, ask students, and see for yourself.
- ATHLETICS Whether you are playing ice hockey, soccer or lacrosse at the Division I level, playing football in the New England Evergreen League, or experiencing a sport such as tennis or Nordic skiing for the first time, you will be coached by highly qualified people who are engaged and passionate about the athletics they are coaching.
- The Whittemore Athletic Center houses the Akerstrom Ice Arena with a full complement of locker rooms, equipment and training facilities and indoor turf during the off season. Eight playing fields, including Pope Field, our lit artificial turf field, support our fall and spring programs.
- The KUA Fitness Center is open all day, everyday, where you can build a personalized program of fitness and strength training into your weekly routine.
- STUDENT LIFE Kimball Union Academy offers an open and safe community dedicated to stimulating intellectual curiosity while stewarding emotional and spiritual growth. Our Student Life Program is an integral part of a curriculum dedicated to educating the whole person. Furthermore, the Student Life Program is committed to discovering the most effective way to instill strong moral character, sound judgment, and individual integrity. Through a variety of opportunities, Kimball Union students will develop the necessary skills to reflect, critique and analyze in order to make a difference in the world.
- Living with your peers as well as your teachers strengthens your relationships with those in the community and enhances the academic experience.
- Residences range in size from small houses that accommodate as few as 5 students, to larger halls housing as many as 45 students.
- Kimball Union has a 6-day academic schedule with half days on Wednesday and Saturday to support extended student involvement in co-curricular programs those afternoons.
- The daily schedule includes designated office hours for faculty and advisor-advisee meetings to facilitate student-faculty interaction outside of the classroom.
- There are family style seated dinners weekly that promote community building and discussion.
- Morning meetings, run by the Student Body President, are held twice a week to inform the community about events and to celebrate student performances.
- Student proctors serve as liaisons between house parents and students. They are also a great resource for students with questions or concerns they would like to discuss with a peer.
- There are scheduled evening study hours six nights per week to help students manage their workload.
- All-school and special interest cultural events and social programs abound.
Profile last updated: 02/25/2013
Related School News:
- Through the Phog - A Kansas Jayhawks Site - News, Blogs, Opinion and more. - Through the Phog
posted on December 24, 2012 at 05:10:49 am
Through the Phog - A Kansas Jayhawks Site - News, Blogs, Opinion and more.Through the PhogAbu is a 6'7?, 210 pound power forward from Meriden, New Hampshire. He plays at ...
- School honors and graduates - Stowe Today
posted on December 20, 2012 at 05:45:14 pm
School honors and graduatesStowe Today... and Lindsey Landwehrle, daughter of Donald and Kathleen Landwehrle, all of Stowe, have achieved ...
- Plainfield Voters Reduce Kimball Union Tax Break
posted on March 13, 2011 at 01:15:55 pm
Meriden -- Residents yesterday trimmed a longstanding tax break for Kimball Union Academy, saying a corresponding deal ...
Gr. 9-12 | 0 mi. away
Gr. PK-K | 9.1 mi. away
Gr. K | 9.7 mi. away
Gr. Nursery/Preschool-12 | 9.7 mi. away
Gr. K | 9.7 mi. away
Gr. K-6 | 9.8 mi. away