Grades: PK-8 | 128 students
MDS is an independent day school for children PreK – 8.
Our innovative programming allows students to receive the individualized attention and immediate feedback that reinforce learning.
|School Membership(s)School Assoc.||National Association of Independent Schools (NAIS)
New York State Association of Independent Schools (NYSAIS)
|Grades Offered||Grades Prekindergarten-8|
|Total Students||128 students|
|Student Body Type||Co-ed|
|% Students of Color||
State avg.: 29%
|Students by Grade|
Academics and Faculty
|Total Classroom Teachers||22 teachers|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||6:1
National avg.: 13:1
|Classroom Dress Code||Formal
(Dress Code/No Uniform)
Finances and Admission
|Admission Deadline||None / Rolling|
|Tuition Notes||See Website|
|Admissions Director||Ms. Janet Schuman Andrew|
|Total Sports Offered||4 sports|
|Sports||Basketball, Field Hockey, Lacrosse, SoccerBasketball, Field Hockey,
|Total ExtracurricularsTotal Extra-curric.||11 extracurriculars|
|ExtracurricularsExtra-curric.||Art Club, Chess/Checkers, Concert Band, Homework Club, Knitting, Peer Mentoring, Reading Buddies, Select Chorus, Student Ambassadors, Student Council, Yearbook Art Club, Chess/Checkers, Concert Band, Homework Club, Knitting, Peer Mentoring, Select Chorus, Yearbook, Reading Buddies,
- Mizzentop Day School is an independent day school for students in Early Childhood through Grade 8. We offer a challenging program that focuses on each child's personal development and learning style. We are able to provide our students with this level of education because small class sizes. We have educators that create a caring environment and get to know each child, making sure every child reaches his/her potential. With this experience and knowledge many of our students continue on to successful secondary schools experiences.
- Students learn independence and self-confidence by being in this secure and structured environment. Our core subjects are supplemented with a strong “Special Areas” division including music, drama, visual arts, computers and physical education. Each of these Special Area classes work throughout the year to integrate what children are learning in core subjects so that their work is constantly overlapping and information is put into context.
- In addition to our strong academic core there is also much available outside of the classroom. Children in our Middle School are encouraged to participate in interscholastic sports throughout the year. We offer multiple enrichment programs as well as summer enrichment programming. Typical enrichment programs include art, science, mathematics and homework clubs. We work with local music instructors to provide individual and group instrumental lessons.
- We seek to reach our goal of providing a complete educational experience through our personal commitments as educators as well as through implementing a worldwide program developed through the United Nations: the Living Values Educational Program. In Middle School, our advisory program is held twice a week, where children are divided into smaller groups to discuss the non-academic issues of school. During this time teachers and students discuss social and personal topics and take time to create community service projects both inside and outside of Mizzentop. Every month we highlight a different Living Value and look for ways to incorporate it into academic and advisory lessons.
- Mizzentop provides a high level of education at a rate that is competitive with other independent education alternatives. Located in Pawling, NY, local New York school districts provide transportation to and from the school. For more information, please call our Admissions Office at (845) 855-7338, visit our website (www.mizzentop.org), or email our Director of Admissions, Janet Schuman-Andrew at email@example.com.
Profile last updated: 11/05/2013
- School Location Miles Grades Students
PawlingGrades: 3-12 | 10 students
16 Harmony Rd
Pawling, NY 12564
PawlingGrades: 7-12 | 291 students
700 Route 22
Pawling, NY 12564
HolmesGrades: PK-KG | 51 students
4101 Route 52
Holmes, NY 12531
BrewsterGrades: 1-12 | 136 students
400 Doansburg Road
Brewster, NY 10509
BrewsterGrades: PK-KG | 98 students
1515 Route 22
Brewster, NY 10509
Rental Market Monitor
October 04, 2015
This A-Z list is designed to make you aware of the many things involved in choosing the right school for your child.
September 20, 2015
It is easy to fall into the trap of not keeping your skill-set current. There's no time and no need anyway. We look at why you need to keep things current and offer some suggestions as to how to proceed.
September 07, 2015
Choosing the right school for your child is a major project. We look a five reasons why you might be looking at the wrong schools.