Grades: PK-8 | 254 students
St. Mark the Evangelist School has been serving the youth of Harlem for over 100 years.
Founded by St. Katharine Drexel in 1912, St. Mark's was the first Catholic school for African-American students in New York City.
The school is accredited by the Middle States Association and is a participant in the Extended Day program through the Archdiocese of New York.
Our school day runs from 8 a.m.
to 4 p.m.
with an optional After School Program until 6 p.m.
This additional time has led to an increase in standardized test scores across the board.
The school has an extremely dedicated, enthusiastic faculty and staff with a low teacher turnover rate. Because St. Mark's has a strong sense of community and a warm family feel, it is truly a home away from home for many of our students.
St. Mark's is a school where the students are loved, challenged, and encouraged to reach their potential.
|Religious Affiliation||Roman Catholic|
|Grades Offered||Grades Prekindergarten-8|
|Total Students||254 students|
|Student Body Type||Co-ed|
|% Students of Color||
State avg.: 29%
|Students by Grade|
Academics and Faculty
|Total Classroom Teachers||16 teachers|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||16:1
National avg.: 13:1
|Average Class Size||25 students|
|Classroom Dress Code||Formal
(Required school uniform)
|Total Sports Offered||1 sports|
|Total ExtracurricularsTotal Extra-curric.||10 extracurriculars|
|ExtracurricularsExtra-curric.||Art, Ballroom Dance, Boys and Girls Basketball, Cheerleading, Chess, Gospel Choir, Music, Physical Education, Robotics, Sewing Art, Ballroom Dance, Cheerleading, Chess, Gospel Choir, Music, Robotics, Sewing, Boys and Girls Basketball,
- Every student at St. Mark's has 90 minutes of instruction in both reading and math every day. Our emphasis on academics is demonstrated by our students' consistently superior test scores, surpassing public as well as charter schools' average scores in our own District 5.
- In addition to our core curriculum, St. Mark's offers a number of extracurricular and enrichment programs. Read on to learn more!
- Library - Our recently renovated library contains over 5,000 volumes and is staffed by a full-time librarian. Every year, well-known authors and illustrators visit St. Mark's through our Author Study Program to speak to and work with our students. Visitors include National Book Award finalist and Newberry Medal winner Richard Peck and Coretta Scott King Award winner Bryan Collier.
- Physical Education - Every student enjoys weekly Physical Education classes that emphasize health and fitness. Every year, our Physical Education program culminates in the much-anticipated Sports Day and Picnic. Our girls' and boys' basketball teams are open to students in Grades 5 through 8, and they compete regularly against other Catholic Schools in Manhattan.
- The music program at St. Mark's is offered in partnership with Education Through Music. Students enjoy music classes once or twice a week, and they perform twice a year in school-wide concerts. Students also have access to a variety of string, wind, and percussion instruments. Students in Grades 5 through 8 have the opportunity to audition for the school Gospel Choir, Voices of Praise, which practices twice a week after school and performs regularly at Mass.
- All students enjoy weekly Art classes through the Creative Classrooms studio art program. Students in grades 2-5 also participate in Learning to Look art appreciation classes.
- Students in 4th, 5th, and 8th grades participate in American Ballroom Theater's Dancing Classrooms program.
- St. Mark's is equipped with state of the art technology. We have SMARTBoards and video streaming in every classroom, as well as a computer lab with over 40 computers and laptops.
- School Location Miles Grades Students
New YorkGrades: PK-8 | 250 students
214 W 142nd St
New York, NY 10030
New YorkGrades: PK-8 | 229 students
223 W 132nd Street
New York, NY 10027
New YorkGrades: 1-7 | 13 students
9 W 130th St
New York, NY 10037
New YorkGrades: PK-8 | 169 students
70 E 129th St
New York, NY 10035
New YorkGrades: PK-10 | 30 students
2116 7th Avenue
New York, NY 10027
Rental Market Monitor
October 04, 2015
This A-Z list is designed to make you aware of the many things involved in choosing the right school for your child.
September 20, 2015
It is easy to fall into the trap of not keeping your skill-set current. There's no time and no need anyway. We look at why you need to keep things current and offer some suggestions as to how to proceed.
September 07, 2015
Choosing the right school for your child is a major project. We look a five reasons why you might be looking at the wrong schools.