Grades: K-8 | 403 students
The Laurel Hill School is a vibrant learning community dedicated both to excellence in education and to improving the quality of individual student life.
With helping hands, Laurel Hill encourages students to initiate journeys culminating in the establishment of individuality.
|Grades Offered||Grades Kindergarten-8|
|Total Students||403 students|
|Student Body Type||Co-ed|
|% Students of Color||
State avg.: 29%
|Students by Grade|
Academics and Faculty
|Total Classroom Teachers||28 teachers|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||14:1
National avg.: 13:1
|Average Class Size||16 students|
|Classroom Dress Code||Casual
(Casual and dress uniforms K-8)
Finances and Admission
|Admission Deadline||None / Rolling|
|Total Sports Offered||3 sports|
|Sports||Baseball, Basketball, SoccerBaseball, Basketball,
|Total ExtracurricularsTotal Extra-curric.||18 extracurriculars|
|ExtracurricularsExtra-curric.||Broadway Babies, Chess, Chinese, Community Theater, Dalcroze Music, Debate, Drama, Foreign Language club, Intramurals, Lego Challenge, Long Island Science & Engineering, Math Olympiads, Micro Society, Mock Trial, NASA Quest, Science Quest, Soccer, Suzuki Chess, Chinese, Dalcroze Music, Debate, Drama, Intramurals, Lego Challenge, Math Olympiads, Micro Society, Mock Trial, NASA Quest, Science Quest, Soccer, Suzuki, Broadway Babies,
Foreign Language club,
Long Island Science & Engineering,
- The achievement of top academic performance is certainly a standard for each student, but learning how to achieve shares equal importance. We invite critical thought, welcome creative leaps, and encourage passion in learning and doing.
- Every grade employs a small-class size model to enable close student and teacher interaction, promote individualized studies, and to encourage independent learning. An educational assistant is assigned to each class.
- Students organize to help our local, national, and world communities. Boys and girls work with "outreach" organizations to relieve some of the most pressing social needs.
- Themes are school-wide curriculum enrichment projects that allow the entire student body to study together as a community. Some previous themes include Black History, Poetry, The Election, Classical Literature and Earth Day.
- Students are encouraged to act in accord with their values and to always consider the best interests of others in their decision making. Caring, kindness, respect, responsibility, honesty and trustworthiness are central character building virtues emphasized throughout.
- Our Preschool Center is specially designed for infants, toddlers and preschoolers from 6 weeks old to 5 years old.
- Preschoolers, our 3-5 year old children, live in a magical time and space. The Preschool is a wonderland of opportunity to explore, discover and encounter the world. The program includes literature, reading readiness, math readiness, music movement, science discoveries, social studies explorations, physical education, computers, art, and playtime fun!
- Toddlers from 2-3 enjoy a fun-filled romp with everything our preschoolers do but tailored to their development. Language and social and motor skills receive special emphasis, as well as, careful attendance to emerging interests and voracious curiosity needs. All done under the guidance of warm, sensitive and genuinely caring teachers.
- Infants are our babies from 6 weeks old to under 2 years. And yes, they too have a scheduled day that includes music, movement, language, and activities for cognitive development to grow on. Personal schedules and routines are created under parental guidance. Food, sleep, diaper changing and much more are individualized. Daily reports are sent home. A baby's needs for gentleness, love, comfort, trust, and quality relationship with caregivers remain paramount concerns throughout each and every day!
Nearby Private Schools:
- School Location Miles Grades Students
Port JeffersonGrades: KG-8 | 183 students
114-116 Myrtle Ave
Port Jefferson, NY 11777
Stony BrookGrades: 7-12 | 333 students
1 Chapman Parkway
Stony Brook, NY 11790
Port JeffersonGrades: NS | 96 students
450 Myrtle Ave
Port Jefferson, NY 11777
East SetauketGrades: PK-KG | 175 students
10 Research Way
East Setauket, NY 11733
Stony BrookGrades: NS-K | 118 students
218 Christian Avenue
Stony Brook, NY 11790
Rental Market Monitor
November 19, 2015
Myths, urban legends and just plain misinformation abound concerning private schools. We shed some light on the facts you may not have known.
October 04, 2015
This A-Z list is designed to make you aware of the many things involved in choosing the right school for your child.
September 20, 2015
It is easy to fall into the trap of not keeping your skill-set current. There's no time and no need anyway. We look at why you need to keep things current and offer some suggestions as to how to proceed.