The Laurel Hill School
|School Type||Alternative School|
|Grades Offered||Grades Kindergarten - 9|
|Total Students||400 students|
|Student Body Type||Co-ed|
|% Students of Color||20% (NY School Avg.: 38%)|
|Students by Grade|
|Academics and Faculty|
|Total Classroom Teachers||28 teachers|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||8:1 (National school avg.: 13:1)|
|Average Class Size||16 students|
|Admission Deadline||None / Rolling|
|Total Sports Offered||3 sports|
|Total Extracurriculars||18 extracurriculars|
|Drama||Foreign Language club|
|Long Island Science & Engineering||Math Olympiads|
|Micro Society||Mock Trial|
|NASA Quest||Science Quest|
- The achievement of top academic performance is certainly a standard for each student, but learning how to achieve shares equal importance. We invite critical thought, welcome creative leaps, and encourage passion in learning and doing.
- Every grade employs a small-class size model to enable close student and teacher interaction, promote individualized studies, and to encourage independent learning. An educational assistant is assigned to each class.
- Students organize to help our local, national, and world communities. Boys and girls work with "outreach" organizations to relieve some of the most pressing social needs.
- Themes are school-wide curriculum enrichment projects that allow the entire student body to study together as a community. Some previous themes include Black History, Poetry, The Election, Classical Literature and Earth Day.
- Students are encouraged to act in accord with their values and to always consider the best interests of others in their decision making. Caring, kindness, respect, responsibility, honesty and trustworthiness are central character building virtues emphasized throughout.
- In our Preschool division, preschoolers live in a magic time. The Preschool is a wonderland of opportunity to explore, discover and encounter the world. The program includes reading readiness, math readiness, music movement, science discoveries, social studies explorations, art, and playtime fun!
Gr. K-9 | 0 mi. away
Gr. K-9 | 1.8 mi. away
Gr. 7-12 | 1.9 mi. away
Gr. PK | 2.2 mi. away
Gr. PK-K | 2.3 mi. away
Gr. Nursery/Preschool-K | 2.5 mi. away