First Lutheran School
|School Membership(s)||American Association of Christian Schools (AACS)
Evangelical Lutheran Education Association (ELEA)
Other school association(s)
|Religious Affiliation||Evangelical Lutheran Church in America (formerly AELC, ALC, or LCA)|
|Grades Offered||Grades Kindergarten - 8|
|Total Students||387 students|
|Student Body Type||Co-ed|
|% Students of Color||40% (CA School Avg.: 43%)|
|Students by Grade|
|Academics and Faculty|
|Total Classroom Teachers||19 teachers|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||20:1 (National school avg.: 13:1)|
|Finances and Admission|
|Admission Deadline||None / Rolling|
|Total Extracurriculars||6 extracurriculars|
|First Kids after-school arts program||LEAD student council|
|after-school Spanish language classes||after-school interscholastic sports program|
|church youth choirs||church youth groups|
- First Lutheran School, established in 1957, is owned and operated by First Evangelical Lutheran Church of Torrance.
- First Lutheran is accredited by the Western Association of Schools and Colleges (WASC) and provides instruction in all subjects required by the State of California.
- First Lutheran's daily curriculum includes enrichment courses in vocal music, religion and computer technology.
- The First Lutheran teaching philosophy includes critical thinking, cooperative learning skills, and the Open Court approach to reading.
- Our goals are to provide a caring environment to our school and the community, to prepare students intellectually with a strong academic program, and to nurture children and families in the Christian faith.
- First Lutheran offers a first-rate Christian education where Christ is taught in the classroom and where the Christian principles of love and forgiveness are taught and practiced in every arena of school life.
- A high level of parent involvement is found at every grade level throughout the school.
- First Lutheran School, rooted in Christian faith and the assurance of God's grace, provides our diverse community of children a quality education, preparing them to participate in the world through lives of service and leadership.
Gr. K-8 | 0 mi. away
Gr. Nursery School-PK | 0.3 mi. away
Gr. 9-12 | 0.3 mi. away
Gr. K-6 | 0.4 mi. away
Gr. 2-7 | 0.5 mi. away
Gr. Nursery/Preschool-6 | 0.6 mi. away