Grades: PK-12 | 560 students
Throughout the year, Head of School Sally Powell hosts monthly teas in her office for 5th and 8th graders, as well as lunches for the seniors.
Girls sometimes learn that the effect they predicted on paper isn't always what happens in the test tube, and that rethinking a reaction-- or learning about the world and coming up with a smart, new prediction-- is the real solution.
Each class at Baldwin is designed so that every student's voice is heard. In this trusting atmosphere, active communication and collaboration enhance a shared sense of excitement about learning for faculty and students alike.
The Lower School years are a time when children are open to exploring, learning and stretching their intellectual boundaries. In our all-girls environment, we see this natural learning process flourish even more as inhibitions are cast aside, the thirst for knowledge is quenched and the foundations for life-long learning are established.
Baldwin encourages each girl to use their time here as an opportunity for growth and discovery; the chance to define their talents and interests, develop confidence as individuals and take on increased responsibility as members of the school community. (Pictured: Baldwin and Haverford Middle Schools' co-production of "A Midsummer Night's Dream")
The Baldwin School, an independent college preparatory school, develops talented girls into confident young women with vision, global understanding, and the competency to make significant and enduring contributions to the world.
The school nurtures our students' passion for intellectual rigor in academics, creativity in the arts and competition in athletics, forming women capable of leading their generation while living balanced lives.
|School Membership(s)School Assoc.||National Coalition of Girls
National Association of Independent Schools (NAIS)
Association of Delaware Valley Independent Schools (ADVIS)
Pennsylvania Association of Independent Schools (PAIS)
|Grades Offered||Grades Prekindergarten-12|
|Total Students||560 students|
|Student Body Type||All-girls|
|% Students of Color||
State avg.: 22%
|Students by Grade|
Academics and Faculty
|Total Classroom Teachers||89 teachers|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||7:1
National avg.: 13:1
|Classroom Dress Code||Formal
Finances and Admission
|% on Financial Aid||
|Admissions Director||Sally Goebel|
|Total Sports Offered||14 sports|
|Sports||Basketball, Crew, Cross Country, Dance, Field Hockey, Golf, Lacrosse, Soccer, Softball, Squash, Swimming, Tennis, Track and Field, VolleyballBasketball, Crew,
Cross Country, Dance,
Field Hockey, Golf,
Track and Field, Volleyball,
- "From Thinking Girls ...To Accomplished Women" The Mission of The Baldwin School The Baldwin School, an independent college preparatory school, develops talented girls into confident young women with vision, global understanding, and the competency to make significant and enduring contributions to the world. The school nurtures our students’ passion for intellectual rigor in academics, creativity in the arts and competition in athletics, forming women capable of leading their generation while living balanced lives.
- The Baldwin School Philosophy The Baldwin School is a college preparatory, independent day school, Pre-Kindergarten through Grade XII, dedicated to a tradition of excellence in education for girls and young women. Each girl is encouraged to develop scholarship, leadership, and citizenship within a supportive community that emphasizes intellectual rigor, ethical integrity, and independence of thought and action.
- In a trusting atmosphere, active communication and collaboration enhance a shared sense of excitement about teaching and learning. Faculty and staff develop close relationships with students, helping each girl to achieve her potential. A broad liberal arts curriculum is the basis for all scholarly discoveries. Strong offerings in the arts encourage students to develop their individual talents. Through our athletic program, girls learn the value of resilience, fitness, teamwork, and pride. In the classroom, on the playing field, in the studio, and on the stage, each girl has the opportunity to acquire the confidence, leadership, and sense of responsibility she needs to be a thoughtful and constructive contributor to society.
- We believe that academic excellence begins with the ability to think logically, independently, and imaginatively. A delight in ideas, a sense of curiosity and humor, and a commitment to honoring the dignity of others are among Baldwin's highest values. We strive to foster an awareness of self and recognition of other perspectives as well as the knowledge and technical skills each girl will need to meet the challenges of our widening and fast-changing world. The Baldwin community has a long history of being open to differences, and as we continue to grow in diversity, it is our hope that our students approach life with the principles of justice, fairness, and equity foremost in their minds and hearts.
- Ultimately, Baldwin aspires to cultivate in its students the desire to remain learners throughout their lives, the compassion to extend themselves to others, and the strength of character to act on their beliefs. Learn more: Fast Facts
Profile last updated: 09/11/2015
- School Location Miles Grades Students
Bryn MawrGrades: NS-PK
750 Montgomery Ave.
Bryn Mawr, PA 19010
Bryn MawrGrades: PK-12 | 840 students
814 Yarrow Street
Bryn Mawr, PA 19010
Bryn MawrGrades: K-8 | 146 students
575 W Lancaster Avenue
Bryn Mawr, PA 19010
Bryn MawrGrades: NS-K | 28 students
1029 Wyndon Avenue
Bryn Mawr, PA 19010
HaverfordGrades: NS-8 | 137 students
851 Buck Lane
Haverford, PA 19041
Rental Market Monitor
September 20, 2015
It is easy to fall into the trap of not keeping your skill-set current. There's no time and no need anyway. We look at why you need to keep things current and offer some suggestions as to how to proceed.
September 07, 2015
Choosing the right school for your child is a major project. We look a five reasons why you might be looking at the wrong schools.
August 30, 2015
Scandals in private school are bound to raise questions for those of us thinking about sending our children to private school. Regardless of how sensational these scandals may appear, they are actually few and far between.