Grades: NS - 8 | 160 students
The Waldorf School of Pittsburgh is located in the Bloomfield neighborhood of the city, housed in a Victorian-era mansion that is a city-designated historic landmark. The original residence, which was built circa 1867, was acquired by the Ursuline Sisters in the 1890s to be used as the Ursuline Young Ladies’ Academy, a Catholic girls’ school. The Ursulines made a number of additions to the original structure, including an auditorium/dormitory, chapel, and dining hall, but nonetheless maintained the integrity and beauty of the original building. The extensive walnut woodwork, decorative plaster ceilings, and other architectural details remain well preserved. The Ursuline Sisters finally sold the building in the early 1990s, leaving a nearly 100-year legacy of the building being used as a school. Our school serves children and parents coming from a rich variety of spiritual, cultural, social, and economic backgrounds. Indeed, this is an essential component of Waldorf education, where variety strengthens and enriches the spirit of brotherhood and community. Those drawn to the school find themselves and the world mirrored in the values and relationships that thrive here. The mission of the Waldorf School of Pittsburgh is to educate children using Waldorf curriculum and methods of teaching, which acknowledge and honor balance of the academic, emotional, and spiritual needs in child development while engaging families in education to create learning partnerships. The Waldorf School of Pittsburgh also strives to create a wider community of head, heart, and hands to create learning opportunities for the various audiences in the larger Pittsburgh area.