|School Type||Special Education School|
|School Membership(s)School Assoc.||Council for Exceptional Children
National Association of Private Special Education Centers
National Association for the Education of Young Children
Other school association(s)
|Grades Offered||Grades Prekindergarten - 12|
|Offers Post-Graduate Year||Yes|
|Learning Difference Programs||Yes|
|Total Students||199 students|
|Student Body Type||Co-ed|
|% Students of Color||21%
State avg.: 20%
|Students by Grade|
Academics and Faculty
|Total Classroom Teachers||43 teachers|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||6:1
National avg.: 13:1
|Average Class Size||7 students|
|Classroom Dress Code||Casual|
Finances and Admission
|Admission Deadline||None / Rolling|
|Admissions Director||Deborah Fell|
|Total Sports Offered||5 sports|
|Sports||Basketball, Cheering, Soccer, Softball, VolleyballBasketball, Cheering,
|Total ExtracurricularsTotal Extra-curric.||8 extracurriculars|
|ExtracurricularsExtra-curric.||Bowling, Ceramics & Pottery, Chess Club, Drama, Ecology, Fitness, Girl's Athletic Association, Photography Bowling, Chess Club, Drama, Ecology, Fitness, Photography, Ceramics & Pottery,
Girl's Athletic Association,
- The WPSD vision is for students to achieve at the same level as other children in society; to reach their highest potential in academics and citizenship; and to achieve independence, positive self-esteem and high personal aspirations.
- WPSD offers an all inclusive communication/language environment. Communication needs are met on an individual basis with emphasis on fluency in both English and American Sign Language.
- Over 25% of our student population has Cochlear Implants.
- The curriculum incorporates state and national standards.
- Mainstream opportunities are offered through a variety of local programs including the student's home school district, a local private elementary school and a public vocational training center.
- WPSD offers a complete after school program including a fully equipped fitness center, a variety of clubs and a comprehensive athletic program.
- Our staff includes speech language pathologists, audiologists, a school psychologist, a communication teacher, an occupational/physical therapist, guidance counselors and an art therapist.WPSD provides support services as needed.
- The Residential Program, open to students from preschool through 12th grade, is an integral part of WPSD. The residential staff provides care and guidance in a warm yet structured environment that includes clubs, social activities and athletic programs.
- American Sign Language classes are offered on-campus and at a variety of off-campus locations. Classes are also offered to the corporate community.
- The Choices for Children parent-infant program provides early intervention services through home visits and on-campus activities to deaf and hard-of-hearing infants, toddlers and their families through agencies across Pennsylvania.
Profile last updated: 01/17/2014
- School Location Miles Students Grades
PittsburghUniversal Academy Of Pittsburgh
2103 Hampton St
Pittsburgh, PA, 15218
(412)241-2124(Islamic)0.3 mi | 62 students | Gr. K-7
PittsburghTemple Childrens Center
5898 Wilkens Ave
Pittsburgh, PA, 15217
(412)521-5151Daycare / Preschool0.4 mi | 3 students | Gr. K
SwissvaleSt Anthony School
7436 Mcclure Ave
Swissvale, PA, 15218
(724)940-9020Special Education School (Roman Catholic)0.5 mi | 70 students | Gr. 1-12
WilkinsburgSister Thea Bowman Academy
721 Rebecca Ave
Wilkinsburg, PA, 15221
(412)242-3515(Roman Catholic)0.7 mi | 195 students | Gr. PK-8
PittsburghPittsburgh Urban Christian School
809 Center Street
Pittsburgh, PA, 15221
(412)244-1779(Christian)0.8 mi | 131 students | Gr. K-8