|School Type||Special Education School|
|School Membership(s)School Assoc.||Texas Private School Accreditation Commission|
|Grades Offered||Grades Kindergarten - 10|
|Learning Difference Programs||Yes|
|Learning Programs Supported||Attention Deficit Disorder, Dyslexia, Dysgraphia, Dyscalculia, Expressive/Receptive Language Disorder or Auditory/Visual Processing Disorder, Early or non-specific cognitive dysfunction and mild pervasive development disorders.|
|Total Students||68 students|
|Student Body Type||Co-ed|
|% Students of Color||10%
State avg.: 37%
|Students by Grade|
Academics and Faculty
|Total Classroom Teachers||8 teachers|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||9:1
National avg.: 13:1
|Average Class Size||8 students|
|List of Courses Offered||Link to List of Courses|
|Advanced Courses||Twice Exceptional Program - 2E|
|Classroom Dress Code||Casual
Finances and Admission
|Admission Deadline||None / Rolling|
|Yearly Tuition Cost||$22,000|
|Tuition Notes||Tuition includes all school supplies, workbooks, text books and use of laptop. HIgh School is currently &23,000.|
|% on Financial Aid||13%|
|Average Financial Aid Grant||$9,200|
National avg.: 85%
|Admissions Director||Amy Levin|
|Admissions Associate||Gila Arnoni Ph.D.|
|Total ExtracurricularsTotal Extra-curric.||4 extracurriculars|
|ExtracurricularsExtra-curric.||After-school Sports Camp, Arts Alive, Keyboarding, Science Investigators Arts Alive, Keyboarding, After-school Sports Camp,
Established in 1977, this innovative school is committed to serving students with a variety of Learning Differences. At Crossroads School, we teach wonderful, healthy children who have to learn in atypical ways in order to succeed. Crossroads School addresses each child’s unique educational needs and provides the skills needed for the eventual return to a traditional school environment.
Crossroads School maintains a safe and nurturing atmosphere in which each student feels a sense of support and belonging. This setting provides our students with the courage to explore and take academic chances.
Founder Carol Garnett, a Master’s Level special education teacher, held the belief that by providing a personalized curriculum, continuous encouragement, a low student to teacher ratio, flexibility, reward systems, humor and creativity, students with special learning needs could flourish. Ms. Garnett led the school from its inception to an expansion in 1990 and the school and its students prospered. Ms. Garnett retired in 2001; however she has continued to support the school with ongoing volunteer work, consultation and as a Board Member. Gila Arnoni, Ph.D., an alumni parent and psychologist, stepped in to uphold Ms. Garnett’s legacy. In 2003, Crossroads School became a not-for-profit institution and elected a prestigious Board of Trustees. The school continues to develop its cutting edge commitment and is widely recognized as a leader in specialized education.
Crossroads School’s philosophy provides a foundation for the success of its students. Given our mission to serve the educational needs of students with Learning Differences, “Teaching Outside of the Box” is a basic premise which supports the unique educational needs of our student body. The philosophy of Crossroads School is based upon the beliefs that:
- Each student is unique and each learns in different ways.
- Creative and flexible teaching strategies are required to accommodate different learning styles
- The interfacings of both remedial and compensatory skills are required for successful learning.
- Healthy interpersonal relationships are fostered.
- Students are encouraged to reach their highest level of achievement within the framework of their capabilities and talents.
- Positive self-esteem and confidence are essential to academic and social success.
- Each student is taught how to become “their own best expert” in advocating for themselves.
Based upon the above philosophy, the goals of Crossroads School are to:
- Prepare students to mainstream into traditional classrooms.
- Create an individualized academically complete curriculum for each student.
- Maintain a low teacher to student ratio of 1:8.
- Use personalized multi-level, multi-sensory teaching methods which allow students to learn at their own rate.
- Place emphasis on personal growth and development.
- Incorporate field trips as an integral part of the educational program.
- Promote learning through positive reinforcement.
- A low teacher to student ratio of 1:8 is maintained.
- Students are grouped according to approximate chronological age.
- Within each age group, students are sub-grouped according to the skills they are learning.
- Each student has an individualized curriculum by subject
Crossroads School prepares students with Learning Differences (K-10th grades) to return to a conventional school by facilitating their maximum academic and social potential in an emotionally safe and supportive environment.
TWICE EXCEPTIONAL PROGRAM
Twice Exceptional students are both Gifted and Talented and also have one or more Learning Differences . Like all students, Twice Exceptional children require teaching which keeps them engaged and stimulates their mind. However, because of their higher level aptitudes, twice exceptional students also require teaching that is “higher and faster” and/or “wider and deeper” in nature - while also meeting their remedial and compensatory needs.
Crossroads school accomplishes this by overlaying the individualized curriculum it develops for every student with the additional guided challenges twice exceptional students require.
Profile last updated: 08/16/2013
- School Location Miles Students Grades
HoustonMemorial Lutheran School
5800 Westheimer Rd
Houston, TX, 77057
(713)782-4022(Lutheran Church -- Missouri Synod)0.2 mi | 242 students | Gr. NS-8
HoustonSt Michael's Learning Academy
6420 Richmond Ave # 120
Houston, TX, 77057
(713)977-0090Special Program Emphasis1.1 mi | n/a students | Gr. 9-12
HoustonSt Michael Catholic School
1833 Sage Rd
Houston, TX, 77056
(713)621-6847(Roman Catholic)1.1 mi | 476 students | Gr. PK-8
HoustonAl-Hadi School Of Accelerative Learning
2313 S. Voss Road
Houston, TX, 77057
(713)787-5000,x2(Islamic)1.3 mi | 299 students | Gr. PK-12
HoustonBonne Vie School
4711 Ingersoll St
Houston, TX, 77027
(713)850-1803Montessori School1.5 mi | 37 students | Gr. UG