|School Membership(s)School Assoc.||European Council for International Schools
Other special emphasis association(s)
Other school association(s)
Western States Association of Schools and Colleges (WASC)
|Grades Offered||Grades Nursery/Preschool - 5|
|Total Students||133 students|
|Student Body Type||Co-ed|
|Students by Grade|
Academics and Faculty
|Total Classroom Teachers||16 teachers|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||9:1
National avg.: 13:1
|% Faculty w/Advanced Degree||90%|
|Average Class Size||10 students|
|List of Courses Offered||Link to List of Courses|
|Matriculation DataMatric. Data||Link to Matriculation Data|
|Classroom Dress Code||Casual
Finances and Admission
|Admission Deadline||None / Rolling|
|Yearly Tuition Cost||$14,400|
|Tuition Notes||This is an average tuition amount. Tuition depends on grade.|
|% on Financial Aid||25%|
|Average Financial Aid Grant||$5,000|
National avg.: 85%
|Admissions Director||Juliette Lange|
|Total Sports Offered||12 sports|
|Sports||Ballet, Baseball, Basketball, Cross Country, Dance, Flag Football, Paddle Tennis, Soccer, Swimming, Tennis, Track and Field, VolleyballBallet, Baseball,
Basketball, Cross Country,
Dance, Flag Football,
Paddle Tennis, Soccer,
Track and Field, Volleyball,
|Total ExtracurricularsTotal Extra-curric.||10 extracurriculars|
|ExtracurricularsExtra-curric.||Soccer, basketball, baseball, cross country, track and field, dance, yoga, art, music, chess Soccer, basketball, baseball, cross country, dance, yoga, art, music, chess, track and field,
- LILA's core values are: first and foremost, academic excellence; collaboration, communication and community; commitment to the curriculum; utmost respect for all individuals within the school community; cultural diversity; and intellectual curiosity and open-mindedness.
- LILA teaches a bilingual immersion program from Preschool through 12th grade where students study subjects in both English and French. LILA follows the French Ministry of Education's academic program in a bilingual context. Teachers in each language are native speakers and the percentage of each language of instruction varies at each grade level. Beginning in Preschool, French is not simply a subject but also the language of instruction. English increases as the grade levels move up.
- Two teachers are assigned to every class, one a native French speaker and the other, a native English speaker, in order to support all students: LILA believes that ALL students should be supported to their full potential.
- Besides the scientifically proven benefits of bilingualism, LILA aims to gift students with the value of a constructivist education where students are actively involved in a process of meaning and knowledge construction as opposed to passively receiving information. Constructivist teaching fosters critical thinking, and creates motivated and independent learners. We aim to instill the love of learning in all our students.
- The vast majority of LILA's teachers hold Master’s or Ph.D teaching credentials, and at the minimum, hold a Bachelor’s degree. The core of the school’s faculty is French by nationality and/or origin; most teachers have been trained in France and are certified by the French Ministry of Education’s rigorous credentialing regulations. English is taught by well qualified native speakers.
- Because our children and teachers come from many nations (50 nationalities are represented on our campuses, with 39 languages), we stress social studies and the concept that we are all citizens of one world. Our small, nurturing classes and small student-to-teacher ratios facilitate this.
- 5 campuses: Los Feliz (Prek-5th) - West Valley:Tarzana (Preschool-5th) - Pasadena (Preschool-5th) - Orange:Santa Ana (Preschool-6th) - Burbank (6th-12th)
- Shuttles are provided for students from the Los Feliz, West Valley and Pasadena campuses to the Burbank campus secondary school.
- Each campus has its own director, staff, community and personality, but they all share LILA’s outstanding international education and commitment to a full immersion bilingual program.
- In addition to receiving the U.S. High School Diploma, ALL LILA high school students take one of two programs: the IB Diploma or the French Baccalauréat. All subjects in both Baccalaureate programs are considered pre-college and advanced level, and are highly regarded by University Admissions personnel. LILA further requires students in both programs to fulfill 150 hours of community service as part of their roles as world citizens.
- LILA grads who complete the entire school program are accepted to the world's top universities: Princeton, Columbia, Stanford, Oxford, Edinburgh, McGill, UC Berkeley, Dartmouth, Brown, and Sciences Po. They take with them what their years at LILA have taught them: communication, adaptability, problem- solving and agility skills; and the confidence to effect change in their communities, their professions, and the global society in which they live.
Profile last updated: 11/14/2014
- School Location Miles Students Grades
5901 Lindley Ave
Tarzana, CA 91356
(818)343-46000 mi | 168 students | Gr. PK-1
EncinoChilds World School
6100 Lindley Ave
Encino, CA 91316
(818)343-8122Daycare / Preschool0.4 mi | 31 students | Gr. K
18211 Burbank Blvd
Tarzana, CA 91356
(818)758-3838Daycare / Preschool (Jewish)0.4 mi | 172 students | Gr. PK-KG
TarzanaTierra Montessori School
18706 Hatteras St
Tarzana, CA 91356
(818)343-1794Montessori School0.8 mi | 31 students | Gr. PK-KG
EncinoBethel Lutheran Elementary School
17500 Burbank Boulevard
Encino, CA 91316
(818)788-2663Daycare / Preschool (Evangelical Lutheran Church in America (formerly AELC, ALC, or LCA))0.8 mi | 37 students | Gr. K