Upcoming Events and News:
- Open House - Tue., November 04, 2014 - get more information!
- Open House - Fri., November 14, 2014 - get more information!
- Open House - Wed., January 21, 2015 - get more information!
- Harford Friends School Changes Its Name - 10/14/2014 - Harford Friends School changes its name to Friends School of Harford.
|School Membership(s)School Assoc.||Friends Council on Education (FCE)
National Association of Independent Schools (NAIS)
|Grades Offered||Grades Kindergarten - 8|
|Learning Programs Supported||mild learning differences|
|Total Students||39 students|
|Student Body Type||Co-ed|
|% Students of Color||30%
State avg.: 31%
|Students by Grade|
Academics and Faculty
|Total Classroom Teachers||11 teachers|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||4:1
National avg.: 13:1
|% Faculty w/Advanced Degree||50%|
|Average Class Size||7 students|
|List of Courses Offered||Link to List of Courses|
|Matriculation DataMatric. Data||Link to Matriculation Data|
|Classroom Dress Code||Casual
(Neat, clean, appropriate to the occasion)
Finances and Admission
|Admission Deadline||None / Rolling|
|Yearly Tuition Cost||$12,895|
|Tuition Notes||Annual Activities Fee of $350 (LS)/600 (MS) in addition to tuition.|
|% on Financial Aid||40%|
|Average Financial Aid Grant||$3,365|
National avg.: 85%
|Admissions Director||Clare Pitz|
|Admissions Associate||Lisa Shue|
|Total Sports Offered||1 sports|
|Total ExtracurricularsTotal Extra-curric.||5 extracurriculars|
|ExtracurricularsExtra-curric.||Chorus, Community Service, Continental Math League, Destination Imagination, student government (committees) Chorus, Community Service,
Continental Math League,
student government (committees),
- Harford Friends School's curriculum is enriching, appropriately challenging, and intellectually stimulating. In addition, it addresses the particular social and emotional needs of students in order to maximize skill development and learning potential. The program utilizes a variety of teaching/learning methods and provides integrated hands-on learning experiences through which developing skills and knowledge are applied and enhanced.
- The curriculum is comprised of English/language arts and social science (Humanities), science and mathematics (Technology), art, music, physical education, Spanish, and wellness (Explorations). Service-learning, computer, library and media arts, conflict-resolution, and study skills are incorporated into each course to emphasize the universal applications of those technologies, skills and perspectives.
- Maryland State and National standards for content and skills attainment are included in the Harford Friends School curriculum.
- Through its comprehensive academic program the school helps each student to develop… unique talents and gifts global perspectives a sense of mastery and belonging responsibility and independence critical thinking and collaborative problem-solving life-long learning skills An advisory program serves as the cornerstone of the middle school. Faculty advisors serve as in-school advocates to their advisees, providing support and guidance, and assuring that each child at Harford Friends School is known well.
- Harford Friends School draws upon the rich tradition of Quaker education as well as existing best practices, which have been identified by proven educational research, to provide middle school students with a safe, sound, intellectually invigorating, and life-changing experience.
Profile last updated: 10/14/2014
- School Location Miles Students Grades
Forest Hill Advent Lutheran Elementary School
2230 Rock Spring Road
Forest Hill , MD , 21050
(410)838-4892(Lutheran Church -- Missouri Synod)0.1 mi | 19 students | Gr. K-5
Bel Air Awakening Child Montessori School
604 Yarmouth Ln
Bel Air , MD , 21014
(410)836-0833Montessori School2.3 mi | 24 students | Gr. K
Bel AirBel Forest Christian Academy
603 Vale Rd
Bel Air , MD , 21014
(410)838-6074(Baptist)2.6 mi | 101 students | Gr. K-9
Bel AirHarford Day School
715 Moores Mill Road
Bel Air , MD , 21014
Bel AirSaint Margaret School
205 N Hickory Avenue
Bel Air , MD , 21014
(410)879-1113(Roman Catholic)3.3 mi | 584 students | Gr. PK-8
- July 24, 2014 - Harford Friends has been an amazing opportunity for our son. We wanted a school with an integrated, interdisciplinary curriculum involving content areas as well as the arts. Students tackle real-world issues through exploration, inquiry, and problem-solving experiences! They are not handed a textbook and basically directed to teach themselves. Through the curriculum students regularly apply critical thinking, creativity, effective collaboration, research skills, and communication skills. My teenage son enthusiastically shares at dinner about the hands-on investigations. Students are encouraged to get down and dirty with their learning, make decisions, and test their ideas. The classroom environments are risk-free, where mistakes are treated as good methods of learning. Students are taught and expected to display successful team behaviors and personal interaction skills. For the first time ever our son gets up everyday without trouble to go to school and he was sad to see the school year end. Is there any better recommendation than that? - Posted by Parent
- February 28, 2012 - I am so grateful that we found Harford Friends School for our daughter. She was becoming lost in the public school environment in elementary school and blossomed at HFS. Here she found a supportive environment, personal attention, care and concern for the individual, and an interactive & engaged learning environment with promotion and understanding of personal learning styles and differences. Being a part of HFS is being a part of a school, a community and a family. It allowed our daughter to seek and meet challenges, to become a confident student and young woman, and to become more appreciative of her community, world and others. Her success at HFS allowed her to return to public school in a magnet program where she continues to excel. We are thrilled to now have the lower school available for our younger children so they may also benefit from the best education in Harford County – or anywhere else! - Posted by Parent
- February 28, 2012 - Excellent staff and curriculum. Far better than the blue-ribbon public school my children attended before. Individualized attention and creative experienced-based learning. - Posted by Parent
- February 28, 2012 - My daughter blossomed in the three middle school years at HFS, becoming an accomplished student, an independent thinker and a confident young woman. Now in high school, she maintains deep connections with the HFS community and her classmates. The opportunities for self-awareness, self-expression and growth available in with a Quaker education provide a solid foundation for lifelong learning. Both she and her former classmates are interesting teenagers I enjoy spending time with and are well on their way to becoming fascinating adults. - Posted by Parent