|School Membership(s)School Assoc.||Association of Christian Schools International (ACSI)
Association of Classical and Christian Schools (ACCS)
|Grades Offered||Grades Nursery/Preschool - 6|
|Total Students||77 students|
|Student Body Type||Co-ed|
|% Students of Color||20%
State avg.: 27%
|Students by Grade|
Academics and Faculty
|Total Classroom Teachers||12 teachers|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||8:1
National avg.: 13:1
|Average Class Size||9 students|
Finances and Admission
|Admission Deadline||None / Rolling|
|Tuition Notes||Tuition can be based on your income. Call us for more info. 262-0062|
|% on Financial Aid||25%|
- Our philosophy of education is based on the premise that knowledge is impossible without God, the Creator of heaven and earth. God, who created all things, cannot be separated from history, literature, mathematics, science, or any other academic discipline. Therefore, the whole range and content of education is to be God-centered.
- In addition, since man was created in the image of God and is to glorify Him, Christian education must develop man's ability to explore, investigate, and discover truths about the universe in order to exercise dominion over it. Therefore, Christian education endeavors to develop the individual's God-given capacities in order that they may be used to God's glory.
- Each subject of study at CCS must be learned and properly integrated to its Creator and Lord, and to His written Word, the Bible. Although the Bible does not contain exhaustive detail on every subject, it does provide an authoritative frame of reference for all of life's truths. Biblical truth will never contradict truth wherever it may be found. Therefore, the study of the Bible is basic to the study and understanding of each academic discipline.
- Bible: Because Calvary Classical School unequivocally affirms the divine inspiration of the Scriptures, Bible education becomes the foundation for all other subjects. Truly it is the cornerstone of learning. The pursuit of truth in all areas of study is founded on the Scriptures. The Scriptures are revealed truth, and they illumine all other subjects (II Timothy 3:16, II Corinthians 10:5, Psalm 119).
- Mathematics: Mathematics need to be studied in light of God's unchanging character and attributes. In mathematics we observe the beauty and order of God's creation, a reflection of His image. We learn the descriptive power of numbers and concepts as they relate to creation and contemplate their higher meaning (Malachi 3:6, Psalm 90:2, Job 38:4-7).
- Language Arts: Because classical education is language based, heavy emphasis is placed on reading and writing. This is very consistent with biblical principles, because God communicates through words and The Word. A fundamental, deep, and comprehensive understanding of language will enable us to glorify God through our use of words and communicate His Truth to a fallen world (John 1:1-13, Hebrews 4:12, Colossians 4:6).
- Science: Science is the systematic study of God's creation using the gift of reason. Studied in light of God's Word, science is founded on the premise that creation is orderly and can therefore be properly evaluated and comprehended by reason. These ideas are rooted in our view of God being good, communicative, and orderly, resulting in His desire for us to know Him through His creation (Genesis 1:1-31, Romans 1:18-21, Colossians 1:16-17, Psalm 19:1-6).
- History: Fundamentally, history teaches us about what God has done in His creation and among His people. It is the progressive unveiling of God's redemptive work through the ages. Since God has called His people from every "tribe, nation, and tongue," we must study different cultures and their history in order to see God at work in the world. Through the study of history, we see God's providence, sovereignty, and judgments (Revelation 22:13, Acts 17:22-28, Proverbs 21:1, Psalm 78 and 103:19, Romans 15:4, Galatians 4:4).
- Latin: Calvary Classical School instructs its students in the classical language of Latin. Learning Latin is a rigorous mental endeavor. It improves English acquisition and opens the literary portals of the ancient Romans, the early church, and the Middle Ages.
- Music: God commands His children repeatedly to sing to Him and play instruments skillfully (Psalm 33:1-5; 98:4-6; 147:1). We strive to learn and improve the skills of musical performance, so that we can give glory to Him and worship Him fully.
- Art: The foundational elements of art were present at creation (Genesis 1:1); therefore, the proper use of art reflects truth about God (Jeremiah 18; Isaiah 64:8). We use artistic excellence to worship Him, to communicate, and to give glory to God (example in Exodus 31:1-11).
Profile last updated: 07/30/2013
- School Location Miles Students Grades
HamptonBig Bethel KinderCare
406 Big Bethel Road
Hampton, VA, 23666
(757)838-4978Daycare / Preschool0.8 mi | n/a students | Gr. NS-PK
HamptonFaith Outreach Education Center
3105 W Mercury Blvd
Hampton, VA, 23666
(757)838-8949(Pentecostal)1.1 mi | 76 students | Gr. PK-11
HamptonHolloman Child Development & Education Center
1520 Todds Ln
Hampton, VA, 23666
(757)838-3188Daycare / Preschool (Christian)1.2 mi | 8 students | Gr. PK-KG
Newport NewsWarwick Kids Academy
9288 Warwick Blvd
Newport News, VA, 23607
(757)247-3360Daycare / Preschool1.2 mi | 12 students | Gr. PK-KG
HamptonChild's Day Learning Center
1601 Todds Lane
Hampton, VA, 23666
(757)826-8759Daycare / Preschool1.3 mi | 15 students | Gr. PK-KG