|School Type||Alternative School|
|Grades Offered||Grades Kindergarten - 12|
|Total Students||262 students|
|Student Body Type||Co-ed|
|% Students of Color||8%
State avg.: 45%
|Students by Grade|
Academics and Faculty
|Total Classroom Teachers||50 teachers|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||5:1
National avg.: 13:1
|% Faculty w/Advanced Degree||50%|
|Average Class Size||12 students|
|Number of AP Courses||14 courses|
|List of Courses Offered||Link to List of Courses|
|Advanced Courses||AP Biology, AP Chemistry, AP English Language, AP Latin, AP Calculus, AP Computer Science, AP English Literature and Composition, AP European History, AP Macroeconomics, AP Microeconomics, AP Physics B, AP Physics C, AP US Government, AP US History,|
|Average SAT score||1930|
|Matriculation DataMatric. Data||Link to Matriculation Data|
|Classroom Dress Code||Casual
(girls--knee-length skirts/pants; boys--pants & collared shirt)
Finances and Admission
|Admission Deadline||May. 5 / Aug. 1 / rolling|
|Tuition Notes||See varies with grade and whether full program or part-time program. Please see tuition posted on our website under Admissions|
|% on Financial Aid||2%|
National avg.: 85%
|Admissions Director||Judy Trehan|
|Total ExtracurricularsTotal Extra-curric.||9 extracurriculars|
|ExtracurricularsExtra-curric.||Art Classes, Choir, Geography Bee Club, Math Club, PE, Public Speaking I and II, Robotics, Spelling Bee Club, Yearbook Club Art Classes, Choir, Math Club, PE, Robotics, Yearbook Club, Geography Bee Club,
Public Speaking I and II,
Spelling Bee Club,
- EDUCATIONAL PHILOSOPHY OUR MISSION Live Oak Academy provides a Christian and classical education for homeschooling families. Elementary and middle school classes meet two days per week, while some high school classes require a third day. Partnering with parents in a loving, Christ-centered community, we provide students with an excellent education, helping them grow into wise, creative, and mature adults.
- A CLASSICAL EDUCATION
- In calling ourselves "classical," we mean that we find sound guidance in the ancient educational practices of the Trivium and Quadrivium, as adapted and interpreted by Christians of the Middle Ages, and as more recently described by Dorothy Sayers ("The Lost Tools of Learning") and Douglas Wilson (Recovering the Lost Tools of Learning).
- The Trivium characterizes three stages of student development. In the Grammar Stage, students acquire solid factual foundations. Next, in the Logic Stage, students learn sound reasoning and critical thinking skills. Finally, during the Rhetoric Stage, students develop their abilities to express themselves with clarity and confidence.
- We also rely on classic texts, those Great Books which have proven their usefulness to many generations. C. S. Lewis recommends "the reading of old books," as a pleasant and effective way to benefit from the best teachers in other ages, especially within the Christian Church. During the high school years, we may also critically examine the intellectual efforts and insights of those outside or against the Christian tradition, such as Euclid, Plato or modern atheists and secularists in the light of God's truth. In the end, we find that classically-educated students are well prepared to embrace the past, to discern the present, and to shape the future.
- FINE ARTS
- Our purpose in teaching fine arts is to foster in our students a love for what is good, true and beautiful, as befits a classical Christian and liberal arts education. Participation in the fine arts is encouraged at Live Oak, where students learn to read music and give praise and worship to God through song. Boys and Girls Elementary Choirs for grades 1-6, and Classic Choir for grades 7-12 are open to all skill levels. Students may also audition for the selective Ensemble Choir. Concert performances are scheduled throughout the year.
- Art enrichment classes are also offered throughout the year, giving students the opportunity to develop their skills in drawing, watercolor, oil painting, calligraphy, etc.
- From time to time, we offer musical theater and drama opportunities for students, ages 7 through 18.
- Our two annual Open Houses afford all students the opportunity to give class presentations on stage before Live Oak family and friends.
- ACADEMY PROFILE
- OUR CHRISTIAN FOUNDATION
- Live Oak Academy was founded in prayer; it is directed by Christians, operates according to Christian principles, and seeks to further the purposes of Jesus Christ in the lives of the students we teach. We aspire to a vital and saving knowledge of Jesus Christ, as revealed authoritatively in the canonical Scriptures, and as proclaimed in all ages by His Body the Church. Our board and our teachers give personal assent to the Nicene Creed, which for centuries has provided a common claim for all the major branches of the Christian faith. To read more: http://liveoakacademy.org/about/confessionoffaith.html
- The Academy exists to educate students through a reliable core of substantial subjects, including grammar, mathematics, logic, rhetoric, philosophy, history, Latin, Greek, Spanish, English literature, writing, various sciences, physical education and music. High school classes are taught at the college preparatory level, and several AP courses are offered. We aim to challenge our students, and we expect them to take vigorous responsibility for their studies.
- Our classes are taught by gifted teachers, who are eager to share their knowledge and enthusiasm for learning with their students. These include parent teachers who are highly educated or possess exceptional skills. Other teachers are also hired for their teaching skills and knowledge.
- ENROLLMENT AND CLASS SIZE
- Recognizing the value of small classes, the Academy aims to structure its class size to average a teacher/student ratio of one to twelve (1:12). The Academy currently enrolls approximately 250 students.
- Our campus is located at 2499 Homestead Road, Santa Clara, California (corner of San Thomas and Homestead) on property of First Presbyterian Church of Santa Clara.
- PSP is available for Live Oak families
- All Live Oak Academy students are homeschooled students. As such, each family is responsible to ensure they comply with state compulsory education requirements by filing an R-4 affidavit with the Santa Clara County Board of Education, or by enrolling in a qualified Private School Satellite Program (PSP, formerly ISP). For the convenience of our Academy families, we offer a PSP that maintains attendance and other required records. Academy families may enroll in our PSP for an annual fee. The annual fee covers the administrative cost of maintaining the records and ensuring compliance with California State Laws.
- NONPROFIT STATUS
- Live Oak Academy is a nonprofit 501©(3) public benefit corporation in the State of California, organized to provide educational services, to which contributions are tax-deductible. We may collect tuition and pay teachers, but no one collects a profit.
- Tuition Breaks
- In line with our mission to support the homeschool community, the Academy offers opportunities for scholarship and tuition breaks as follows: need-based scholarships, full-time ministry discounts, and teaching family discounts. Our pricing is designed to support families with multiple students and who have been with the Academy for many years.
Profile last updated: 10/21/2014
- School Location Miles Students Grades
Santa ClaraSt Justin Elementary School
2655 Homestead Rd
Santa Clara, CA 95051
(408)248-1094(Roman Catholic)0.3 mi | 306 students | Gr. PK-8
Santa ClaraAngels Mont Presch Of Santa Cl
1000 Kiely Boulevard
Santa Clara, CA 95051
(408)241-8434Montessori School (Non-sectarian)0.5 mi | 27 students | Gr. K
San JoseCarden Academy Of Almaden
5200 Dent Avenue
San Jose, CA 95118
(408)265-33920.7 mi | n/a students | Gr. K-8
Santa ClaraNeighborhood Christian Center
887 Pomeroy Ave
Santa Clara, CA 95051
(408)984-3418Daycare / Preschool (Christian)1 mi | 126 students | Gr. K-1
Santa ClaraCedarwood Sudbury School
2545 Warburton Avenue
Santa Clara, CA 95051
(908)286-2072Special Program Emphasis (Non-sectarian)1 mi | 13 students | Gr. 1-12