|School Membership(s)||New England Association of Schools and Colleges
National Association of Independent Schools (NAIS)
The Association of Boarding Schools (TABS)
|Grades Offered||Grades 9 - 12|
|Offers Post-Graduate Year||Yes|
|Total Students||427 students|
|Student Body Type||Co-ed|
|% Students of Color||21% (ME School Avg.: 9%)|
|Students by Grade|
|Academics and Faculty|
|Total Classroom Teachers||43 teachers|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||10:1 (National school avg.: 13:1)|
|% Faculty w/Advanced Degree||64%|
|Average Class Size||14 students|
|Number of AP Courses||21 courses|
|List of Courses Offered||Link to List of Courses|
|Computer Science||Economics: Micro and Macro|
|English||English Literature and Composition|
|Government and Politics||History|
|Physics||Physics B &C|
|Average SAT score||1830|
|Matriculation Data||Link to Matriculation Data|
|Classroom dress code||Casual
(Business Casual )
|Finances and Admission|
|Admission Deadline||None / Rolling|
|Yearly Tuition Cost||$36,720|
|Tuition Notes||$3000 in fees|
|% on Financial Aid||5%|
|Average Financial Aid Grant||$5,000|
|Admissions Director||Chris McGary|
|Admissions Associate||To Be Named|
|Total Sports Offered||15 sports|
|Track and Field||Winter Track|
|Total Extracurriculars||15 extracurriculars|
|Bible Club||Chess Club|
|Dance Team||Drama Club|
|Environmental Club||French Club|
|International Club||Jazz Band|
|Key Club||Latin Club|
|Library Club||Math Team|
- Location The rural town of Dover-Foxcroft (population 5,200+) is situated in an area that provides opportunities for skiing, snowboarding, white water rafting, swimming, hiking, biking, ice skating, and snowmobiling. It is 80 miles from the Atlantic Ocean, Acadia National Park, Bar Harbor, 10 miles from the mountains and lakes of northern Maine and 3-4 hours from Portland and Boston.
- Academic Program The Academy offers a challenging college-preparatory curriculum, including 142 course offerings including 32 Honors Courses and 21 Advanced Placement courses. Foxcroft Academy's math and science programs exceed national standards and utilize state-of-the-art technology. Students in Foxcroft Academy's well-known humanities program understand the culture of an era through a study of its history, literature, art, and music. The foreign language program includes four levels of French, Latin, Chinese and Spanish. In addition to the traditional offerings, students may take courses in music composition, web-design, art history, economics, computer-assisted drawing, personal finance, vocational subjects, and ethics. Foxcroft Academy offers a comprehensive ESL program for the international student who is planning for a university education. Musical education at Foxcroft Academy is more than learning to sing or play an instrument. Music is a science, a mental discipline, and an art. Students are able to participate in a variety of programs and courses of study, including orchestra and chamber ensemble, band, jazz ensemble, select choir, and percussion ensemble. Art education takes place in the modern Ebersteen Art Center, where students are engaged in everything from the study of art history to pottery and jewelry making. Foxcroft Academy has 72 staff members, including 43 faculty, and a student-faculty ratio of 16:1. The faculty is committed to fully preparing students for college and university studies.
- University and College Counseling A long list of illustrious names testifies to the success Foxcroft Academy graduates have achieved in various fields, including law and medicine. One such graduate was Dr. Mary Chandler Lowell of the class of 1881, who to this date is the only known woman anywhere in the world to have earned the degrees of Doctor of Medicine, Bachelor of Law, and Doctor of Jurisprudence. Foxcroft graduates have gone on to such prestigious institutions as Harvard University, Boston College, Bowdoin College, Cornell University, Dartmouth College, Michigan State University, Middlebury College, Northeastern University, Purdue University, Smith College, Emory University, UC-Berkley, Worcester Polytechnic Institute, and Yale University.
- Boarding Facilities Students are housed in one of four residential-style dormitories, which have all modern conveniences, including wireless Internet hookups. Two Honors dorms opened in August of 2008 with single rooms. A 60 student and six faculty apartment complex opened in June 2009 and provides housing with 2 students per room. Most recently, a 36 student and four faculty apartment dormitory was completed (2012). On school nights, structured study sessions take place between 7:00 p.m. and 9:00 p.m., with lights out by 11:00. Breakfast, lunch and dinner are provided seven days a week in the student dining hall, which features a grill with a wide selection of food to choose from. A few students are placed with host families who live in proximity to the Academy.
- Athletics Foxcroft Academy's commitment to excellence extends beyond the classroom to the playing fields, where the school has a long and proud tradition in athletics. In recent years, the Academy's wrestling, football, baseball, field hockey and cross-country teams have won multiple state and regional championships. There are nearly thirty interscholastic sports teams, both girls' and boys'. All students have an opportunity to try out for any sport they wish. In sports like football, soccer, swimming, track, cross-country, and tennis, everyone makes the team at either a varsity or junior varsity level. Programs like basketball, field hockey, and baseball carry a limited squad, but even here, most students who try out make the team.
- Extracurricular Opportunities Foxcroft provides a rich environment—one that is intellectually challenging in and out of the classroom. The Academy offers more than twenty clubs and student organizations, including the Latin Club, the Key Club, the Gaming Club, the French Club, the Drama Club, and International Club. Other opportunities include musical theater productions, dance ensembles, art showings, photojournalism for all programs, theater productions and marching band.
- Weekend Life On Friday nights, many interscholastic sports teams have their games, and everyone cheers for the FA Ponies. Saturdays are often spent skiing or snowboarding at Squaw Mountain on Moosehead Lake or taking a trip to L. L. Bean, Boston, or the local YMCA for swimming. Spring and early fall provide opportunities to go to Portland, Acadia National Park, Bar Harbor, and Sebec Lake. An annual trip to New York City, Boston, or Washington, D.C., is scheduled for all boarding students. Foxcroft Academy encourages students to attend a few cultural events each semester. On-campus choices include the regionally recognized fall musical, usually a well-known Broadway show such as Hello, Dolly! or Fiddler on the Roof, and a fall or spring music concert.
Profile last updated: 05/16/2013
Related School News:
- UMaine professor to speak on FDR - Bangor Daily News
posted on December 26, 2012 at 04:50:26 pm
UMaine professor to speak on FDRBangor Daily NewsDOVER-FOXCROFT, Maine ? The Thompson Free Library and the Foxcroft Academy Social Studies ...
- Foxcroft Academy to sponsor Chinese students to come study in Maine - Bangor Daily News
posted on December 20, 2012 at 05:54:56 pm
Foxcroft Academy to sponsor Chinese students to come study in MaineBangor Daily NewsDOVER-FOXCROFT, Maine ? A trip to China last month by Foxcroft Academy Head of ...
- Foxcroft Academy 2012/2013 girls basketball preview - Examiner.com
posted on December 7, 2012 at 03:37:50 pm
Examiner.comFoxcroft Academy 2012/2013 girls basketball previewExaminer.comHigh School Sports ? Foxcroft Academy ? girls basketball. Advertisement. ...
Gr. 9-12 | 0 mi. away
Gr. 2-12 | 12.1 mi. away
Gr. PK-12 | 14.9 mi. away
Gr. 9-11 | 22.5 mi. away
Gr. K-12 | 22.5 mi. away
Gr. 9-12 | 22.6 mi. away