Grades: PK-8 | 193 students
At The Boyd School, we embrace a Montessori philosophy of education and create a warm, welcoming and secure place for children to challenge themselves and excel.
In this environment, children develop their intellectual, social and physical abilities and talents to their fullest.
We welcome family involvement, helping parents better understand the learning style and temperament of their child-and work together to maximize childrens strengths.
Our programs serve children from infancy through middle school age, and cater to a wide variety of families' schedules.
The Boyd School is fully accredited by the American Montessori Society and the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Council on Accreditation and School Improvement.
The Boyd School is recognized by the Virginia Council for Private Education.
|School Type||Montessori School|
|School Membership(s)School Assoc.||American Montessori Society (AMS)
Southern Association Of Colleges And Schools (SACS)
|Grades Offered||Grades Prekindergarten-8|
|Total Students||193 students|
|Student Body Type||Co-ed|
|Students by Grade|
Academics and Faculty
|Total Classroom Teachers||21 teachers|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||9:1
National avg.: 13:1
Finances and Admission
|Admission Deadline||None / Rolling|
|Tuition Notes||Monthly tuition ranges from $817 - $1,855 depending on the program enrolled|
|Admissions Director||Kim Simmons|
- The Boyd School Westfields Campus has been a part of the Chantilly community since 1998. After several years of operating in Centreville, the custom-designed Westfields location opened in 2004.
- With programs for children 18 months through middle school, the Westfields Campus has the largest student population but maintains the familiarity of the small, intimate school. The cozy and inviting library complete with fireplace provides students with a rich experience for storytime and special presentations. The abundance of natural light in each classroom along with carefully prepared learning environments encourages learning.
- The large, secure outdoor environment features multiple, age appropriate playgrounds in addition to a track, soccer field, and basketball courts. An engaging wooden train encourages creative play and multiple garden plots welcome nature education.
- Toddler (18 months - 3 years)
- Early Childhood (3 - 6 years)
- The Early Childhood program at the Westfields Campus of The Boyd School offers children a unique opportunity to learn and grow. The accredited Montessori program guided by credentialed teachers promotes academic discipline through an individualized curriculum. We embrace our diverse student population and encourage parents to share their heritage.
- Children work with specifically designed materials to develop skills and are guided at their own individual pace. The class size at the Westfields campus is well below the FairfaxCounty average allowing for additional individual attention.
- The Early Childhood program is enriched with an arts program as well as additional instruction in foreign language, physical education, and music. The expansive outdoor education center lends itself to learning about our natural world and how to be good stewards of our planet.
- Kindergarten (5 years prior to Dec. 31)
- The accredited Kindergarten program at Westfields provides children with a full academic school day (8:30a - 3:00p). Students work in the mixed-aged Montessori classroom in the morning and are guided towards educational outcomes. The individualized curriculum allows for children to advance at their own pace while developing a strong sense of independent learning techniques.
- Because the children are in a mixed-aged environment in the morning, Kindergarten students develop a sense of added pride from beinging the oldest children in their classroom and often take on a roll of mentor to younger children.
- The afternoon of the Kindergarten program consists of the children working in a small group setting (typically less than 8 children). This environment provides our Kindergarten students the unique opportunity to explore more in-depth concepts and develop small group skills. The expansive outdoor environment provides children with a unique opportunity to not only read and learn about their environment and nature but to experience the world beyond their classroom first hand.
- Kindergarten students at the Westfields campus take numerous field trips to take advantage of the rich opportunities of the DC Metropolitan area. Each year the Kindergarten students attend a number of age appropriate musical performances by the National Symphony Orchestra at the Kennedy Center and guided tours at the National Gallery of Art. The school maintains a strong relationship with Ellanor C. Lawerence Park and children Kindergarten and older take several walking field trips to the park and learn from the naturalists on staff.
- Elementary (6 - 12 years)
- The Elementary program, in keeping with Montessori educational philosophy is divided into two levels: Lower Elementary (6 - 9 years or traditional grades 1-3) and Upper Elementary (9 - 12 years or traditional grades 4- 6).
Nearby Private Schools:
- School Location Miles Grades Students
ChantillyGrades: K-4 | 102 students
4455 Brookfield Corporate Dr Ste 201
Chantilly, VA 20151
ChantillyGrades: PK-KG | 73 students
14225 Newbrook Dr
Chantilly, VA 20151
ChantillyGrades: NS-K | 55 students
5001 Westone Plaza
Chantilly, VA 20151
ChantillyGrades: 4-12 | 24 students
14102 Sullyfield Circle Suite 350
Chantilly, VA 20151
ChantillyGrades: NS-PK | 82 students
14425 Albemarle Point Place
Chantilly, VA 20153
Rental Market Monitor
November 19, 2015
Myths, urban legends and just plain misinformation abound concerning private schools. We shed some light on the facts you may not have known.
October 04, 2015
This A-Z list is designed to make you aware of the many things involved in choosing the right school for your child.
September 20, 2015
It is easy to fall into the trap of not keeping your skill-set current. There's no time and no need anyway. We look at why you need to keep things current and offer some suggestions as to how to proceed.