- Neighbors Helping Neighbors - 06/03/2014 - West Sound Academy students are providing tutoring services at North Kitsap Fishline.
- Student Entrepreneurs Make a Difference with Lemon-Aid Day - 09/23/2014 - West Sound Academy students set up Lemon-Aid Day stands along the Kitsap Color Classic bicycle tour selling lemonade to riders and spectators on September 21, 2014. Proceeds from the sales of their lemonade will be given to three local charities.
|School Membership(s)School Assoc.||Other school association(s)
International Baccalaureate (IB) World School
|Grades Offered||Grades 6 - 12|
|Total Students||91 students|
|Student Body Type||Co-ed|
|% Students of Color||30%
State avg.: 27%
|Students by Grade|
Academics and Faculty
|Total Classroom Teachers||17 teachers|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||5:1
National avg.: 13:1
|% Faculty w/Advanced Degree||76%|
|Average Class Size||11 students|
|Number of AP Courses||1 courses|
|List of Courses Offered||Link to List of Courses|
|Advanced Courses||AP Calculus AB, IB Biology HL/SL (Group 4), IB Chemistry HL/SL (Group 4), IB English (Group 2), IB French HL/SL (Group 2), IB Literature in English (Group 1), IB Mathematical Studies (Group 5), IB Mathematics HL/SL (Group 5), IB Spanish HL/SL (Group 2), IB Visual Arts (Group 6), IB War & Peace in the 20th Century (Group 3)|
|Average SAT score||1822|
|Average ACT score||26|
|Matriculation DataMatric. Data||Link to Matriculation Data|
|Classroom Dress Code||Casual|
Finances and Admission
|Admission Deadline||None / Rolling|
|Yearly Tuition Cost||$16,120|
|Tuition Notes||$14,600 for Middle School and $16,120 for Upper School|
|% on Financial Aid||30%|
National avg.: 85%
|Admissions Director||Lisa Gsellman|
|Admissions Associate||Susan Trower|
|Total Sports Offered||4 sports|
|Sports||Bowling, Dance, Kayaking, Rock ClimbingBowling, Dance,
Kayaking, Rock Climbing,
|Total ExtracurricularsTotal Extra-curric.||10 extracurriculars|
|ExtracurricularsExtra-curric.||Crafting Club, Debate Club, Kayak Club, Knowledge Bowl, Literary Journal, Middle School Math Club, Middle School National History Bowl, Rock Climbing Club, Upper School National History Bowl, Yearbook Crafting Club, Debate Club, Kayak Club, Knowledge Bowl, Yearbook, Literary Journal,
Middle School Math Club,
Middle School National History Bowl,
Rock Climbing Club,
Upper School National History Bowl,
- Mission - West Sound Academy is a college preparatory school that graduates accomplished, creative, intellectually curious young adults prepared to contribute responsibly to the world.
- Type of School — West Sound Academy is an independent college preparatory school serving students in grades six through twelve. The International Baccalaureate Diploma Programme is offered for students in grades 11 and 12.
- Location and Campus — West Sound Academy is located on a wooded, twenty-acre campus overlooking Liberty Bay in Poulsbo, Washington. The school's four buildings include classrooms, a library, a computer lab, three science labs, three teaching studios (art, dance, and music), an art gallery, and a Commons. The outdoor setting and the magnificent views of the Olympic Mountains inspire students and staff. Outdoor facilities include an amphitheater, a playfield, and a sports court.
- Accreditation — IB World School, authorized to offer the International Baccalaureate Diploma Programme; Northwest Accreditation Commission (NWAC), and Subscriber School, Northwest Association of Independent Schools.
- Admissions — West Sound Academy admits students of any race, color, or national or ethnic origin. Qualified students are those who have sound academic records, a sense of individuality, are motivated toward discovery, demonstrate integrity, and have an abiding interest in their world.
- Students — West Sound Academy students typically come from all parts of the Kitsap Peninsula and Bainbridge Island, as well as from eastern Jefferson County. In line with our mission, approximately 20% of our student body is comprised of international students. West Sound Academy is a diverse community that affirms and values people's differences. We have a multiplicity of backgrounds and perspectives within our school family, and mutual appreciation and respect is encouraged in our students.
- Class Size — Class sizes vary according to grade level and course, but are always designed to insure individual attention to students. Average class size is 11, with classes ranging from 7 students to 18 students. Student to teacher ratio: 7 to 1.
- Faculty — West Sound Academy's faculty is comprised of seventeen full- and part-time teachers, with an administrative and support staff of seven. The Academy's enthusiastic faculty of talented professionals fosters curiosity and discovery and stress critical thinking and clear communication.
- Curriculum — Providing a rigorous
academic and art curriculum to prepare students for college, West
Sound Academy is an IB World School, authorized to deliver
the International Baccalaureate Degree Programme (IBDP) for
students in Grades 11-12. The curriculum for Grades 6- 9 is
centered on a pre-IBDP course of study, while Grades 10-12 have a
selection of challenging college preparatory courses in the six
academic areas of the Diploma Programme.
The curriculum stresses critical and disciplined thinking, effective communication and scientific analysis, and creative problem solving. Skills introduced and reinforced in the classroom, including critical reading, critical writing, and document analysis and evaluation, will prepare students for the rigors of the Diploma Programme and for success in college after their years at West Sound.
Graduates leave West Sound Academy with the intellectual, personal, emotional and social skills to live, learn and work in a rapidly globalizing world.
- Technology— A wide variety of hardware and software is available at West Sound Academy to assure that students learn appropriate use of technology to help them communicate effectively; collect, analyze, process, and present information; as well as master the technical skills necessary to succeed in college and later life. Technology resources include: Student to computer ratio: 2.5 to 1 The school has a state of the art 10 MB+ fiber connection to the Internet with a campus-wide LAN and WiFi service. Technology assets include an Apple file server for storage of student work, computer lab, mobile laptop cart, digital projectors, digital document cameras, digital still cameras and video Flip cameras. Software assets include applications from Microsoft (Office 2008), Apple (iWork, iLife,), and Adobe (CS3, Final Cut, Logic). Additionally, Upper School students are provided Google Apps accounts which include email and other online collaborative tools.
- College Placement — 100% of the Class of 2014 admitted to college; average merit scholarship per student applying to American colleges: $67,000.
- Leadership Opportunities — A host of leadership opportunities are available from serving as officers or grade representatives on the WSA Student Council to student leadership in community service, to performing arts, to publications (yearbook and literary journal), to recreational clubs, and more.
- Advocacy Program — West Sound Academy offers an Advocacy Program that pairs a small group of students with a teacher for one or more years. The advocacy groups meet on a weekly basis to discuss important issues and work together on service projects for the school. The advocate meets with students and their parents for occasional conferences during the school year.
- Experiential Learning and Outdoor Education — Fall and Spring Trips take West Sound Academy students into real world settings from remote wilderness sites, to working ranches, to urban museums all the while teaching leadership, environmental ethics, and technical skills. These challenging outdoor adventures are opportunities for both environmental education and personal growth. Trips in recent years have included: A sailing trip on a schooner across Puget Sound Biking and kayak trips through the San Juan Islands A rock climbing adventure at Smith Rock in central Oregon Canoe and raft trips down the rivers of Utah Canyoneering in the San Rafael Swell in Utah Working at a Habitat for Humanity site in Florida
- Annual Arts Events - Friday Sound events (live music performances in the Commons on Friday evenings) Monthly openings for exhibiting artists at the Frodel Gallery on campus Performances of the school play or premieres of the school film production.
Profile last updated: 04/14/2014
- School Location Miles Students Grades
PoulsboPoulsbo Adventist School
1700 Ne Lincoln Rd
Poulsbo, WA 98370
(360)779-6290(Seventh-Day Adventist)2.3 mi | 20 students | Gr. 1-7
14000 Central Valley Rd NW
Poulsbo, WA 98370
(360)697-7526Alternative School2.6 mi | 54 students | Gr. K-6
PoulsboMartha & Mary Primary School
Po Box 127
Poulsbo, WA 98370
(360)394-4085Daycare / Preschool (Evangelical Lutheran Church in America (formerly AELC, ALC, or LCA))2.7 mi | 17 students | Gr. NS-K
PoulsboGateway Christian Schools (Including Crosspoint)
Po Box 2460 705 NE Lincoln
Poulsbo, WA 98370
(360)779-9189(Assembly of God)3.1 mi | 485 students | Gr. PK-12
Bainbridge IslandMontessori Country School
10994 Arrow Point Drive Ne
Bainbridge Island, WA 98110
(206)842-4966Montessori School3.4 mi | 144 students | Gr. NS-6