|School Membership(s)School Assoc.||International Baccalaureate (IB) World School
Other school association(s)
Other school association(s)
|Grades Offered||Grades 6 - 12|
|Total Students||91 students|
|Student Body Type||Co-ed|
|% Students of Color||30% (WA School Avg.: 24%)|
|Students by Grade|
Academics and Faculty
|Total Classroom Teachers||17 teachers|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||6:1 (National school avg.: 13:1)|
|% Faculty w/Advanced Degree||76%|
|Average Class Size||11 students|
|Number of AP Courses||1 courses|
|List of Courses Offered||Link to List of Courses|
|Advanced Courses||AP Calculus AB, IB Biology HL/SL (Group 4), IB Chemistry HL/SL (Group 4), IB English (Group 2), IB French HL/SL (Group 2), IB Literature in English (Group 1), IB Mathematical Studies (Group 5), IB Mathematics HL/SL (Group 5), IB Spanish HL/SL (Group 2), IB Visual Arts (Group 6), IB War & Peace in the 20th Century (Group 3)|
|Average SAT score||1822|
|Average ACT score||26|
|Matriculation DataMatric. Data||Link to Matriculation Data|
|Classroom Dress Code||Casual|
Finances and Admission
|Admission Deadline||None / Rolling|
|Yearly Tuition Cost||$16,120|
|Tuition Notes||$14,600 for Middle School and $16,120 for Upper School|
|% on Financial Aid||30%|
|Admissions Director||Lisa Gsellman|
|Admissions Associate||Susan Trower|
|Total Sports Offered||4 sports|
|Sports||Bowling, Dance, Kayaking, Rock ClimbingBowling, Dance,
Kayaking, Rock Climbing,
|Total ExtracurricularsTotal Extra-curric.||10 extracurriculars|
|ExtracurricularsExtra-curric.||Crafting Club, Debate Club, Kayak Club, Knowledge Bowl, Literary Journal, Middle School Math Club, Middle School National History Bowl, Rock Climbing Club, Upper School National History Bowl, Yearbook Crafting Club, Debate Club, Kayak Club, Knowledge Bowl, Yearbook, Literary Journal,
Middle School Math Club,
Middle School National History Bowl,
Rock Climbing Club,
Upper School National History Bowl,
- Mission - West Sound Academy is a college preparatory school that graduates accomplished, creative, intellectually curious young adults prepared to contribute responsibly to the world.
- Type of School — West Sound Academy is an independent college preparatory school serving students in grades six through twelve. The International Baccalaureate Diploma Programme is offered for students in grades 11 and 12.
- Location and Campus — West Sound Academy is located on a wooded, twenty-acre campus overlooking Liberty Bay in Poulsbo, Washington. The school's four buildings include classrooms, a library, a computer lab, three science labs, three teaching studios (art, dance, and music), an art gallery, and a Commons. The outdoor setting and the magnificent views of the Olympic Mountains inspire students and staff. Outdoor facilities include an amphitheater, a playfield, and a sports court.
- Accreditation — IB World School, authorized to offer the International Baccalaureate Diploma Programme; Northwest Accreditation Commission (NWAC), and Subscriber School, Northwest Association of Independent Schools.
- Admissions — West Sound Academy admits students of any race, color, or national or ethnic origin. Qualified students are those who have sound academic records, a sense of individuality, are motivated toward discovery, demonstrate integrity, and have an abiding interest in their world.
- Students — West Sound Academy students typically come from all parts of the Kitsap Peninsula and Bainbridge Island, as well as from eastern Jefferson County. In line with our mission, approximately 20% of our student body is comprised of international students. West Sound Academy is a diverse community that affirms and values people's differences. We have a multiplicity of backgrounds and perspectives within our school family, and mutual appreciation and respect is encouraged in our students.
- Class Size — Class sizes vary according to grade level and course, but are always designed to insure individual attention to students. Average class size is 11, with classes ranging from 7 students to 18 students. Student to teacher ratio: 7 to 1.
- Faculty — West Sound Academy's faculty is comprised of seventeen full- and part-time teachers, with an administrative and support staff of seven. The Academy's enthusiastic faculty of talented professionals fosters curiosity and discovery and stress critical thinking and clear communication.
- Curriculum — Providing a rigorous academic and art curriculum to prepare students for college, West Sound Academy is an IB World School, authorized to deliver the International Baccalaureate Degree Programme (IBDP) for students in Grades 11-12. The curriculum for Grades 6- 9 is centered on a pre-IBDP course of study, while Grades 10-12 have a selection of challenging college preparatory courses in the six academic areas of the Diploma Programme. The curriculum stresses critical and disciplined thinking, effective communication and scientific analysis, and creative problem solving. Skills introduced and reinforced in the classroom, including critical reading, critical writing, and document analysis and evaluation, will prepare students for the rigors of the Diploma Programme and for success in college after their years at West Sound. Graduates leave West Sound Academy with the intellectual, personal, emotional and social skills to live, learn and work in a rapidly globalizing world.
- Technology— A wide variety of hardware and software is available at West Sound Academy to assure that students learn appropriate use of technology to help them communicate effectively; collect, analyze, process, and present information; as well as master the technical skills necessary to succeed in college and later life. Technology resources include: Student to computer ratio: 2.5 to 1 The school has a state of the art 10 MB+ fiber connection to the Internet with a campus-wide LAN and WiFi service. Technology assets include an Apple file server for storage of student work, computer lab, mobile laptop cart, digital projectors, digital document cameras, digital still cameras and video Flip cameras. Software assets include applications from Microsoft (Office 2008), Apple (iWork, iLife,), and Adobe (CS3, Final Cut, Logic). Additionally, Upper School students are provided Google Apps accounts which include email and other online collaborative tools.
- College Placement — 100% of the Class of 2013 admitted to college; average merit scholarship per domestic student applying to American colleges: $40,000.
- Leadership Opportunities — A host of leadership opportunities are available from serving as officers or grade representatives on the WSA Student Council to student leadership in community service, to performing arts, to publications (yearbook and literary journal), to recreational clubs, and more.
- Advocacy Program — West Sound Academy offers an Advocacy Program that pairs a small group of students with a teacher for one or more years. The advocacy groups meet on a weekly basis to discuss important issues and work together on service projects for the school. The advocate meets with students and their parents for occasional conferences during the school year.
- Experiential Learning and Outdoor Education — Fall and Spring Trips take West Sound Academy students into real world settings from remote wilderness sites, to working ranches, to urban museums all the while teaching leadership, environmental ethics, and technical skills. These challenging outdoor adventures are opportunities for both environmental education and personal growth. Trips in recent years have included: A sailing trip on a schooner across Puget Sound Biking and kayak trips through the San Juan Islands A rock climbing adventure at Smith Rock in central Oregon Canoe and raft trips down the rivers of Utah Canyoneering in the San Rafael Swell in Utah Working at a Habitat for Humanity site in Florida
- Annual Arts Events - Friday Sound events (live music performances in the Commons on Friday evenings) Monthly openings for exhibiting artists at the Frodel Gallery on campus Performances of the school play or premieres of the school film production.
Profile last updated: 02/17/2014
Poulsbo Poulsbo Adventist School
(Seventh-Day Adventist)2.3 mi | 17 students | Gr. 1-8
Poulsbo Silverwood School
Poulsbo Gateway Christian Schools (Including Crosspoint)
(Assembly of God)3.1 mi | 485 students | Gr. PK-12 1 Review
Poulsbo Martha & Mary Primary School
Early Childhood / Day Cares (Evangelical Lutheran Church in America (formerly AELC, ALC, or LCA))3.1 mi | 17 students | Gr. NS-K
Bainbridge Island Montessori Country School
Montessori School3.4 mi | 148 students | Gr. NS-6
- February 09, 2014 - I am so thankful for West Sound Academy and what it offers my daughter academically socially, and emotionally. Small class sizes, dedicated faculty, community-oriented, IB program allows students to begin college as sophomores (saving parents money), focus on math and science as well as the arts, everything I was looking for in a school and more. I am so impressed with this school, it is worth the tuition (and also offers scholarships & financial aid) and compared to Seattle private schools, it''s a bargain for what each student receives. I''m so thankful to have this school in Kitsap County--it''s truly filling a need no other schools around are. All classes are AP, and any extra help students need is there as well as a truly supportive faculty and administration. An incredible school for parents who want the best for their kids and for kids who want to do well academically and get a little more advantage when it comes to college and his or her future. Kind smart kids doing good things in the community (and the world), truly makes me thankful for West Sound Academy. - Posted by Parent
- February 09, 2014 - We feel extremely fortunate to have found West Sound Academy. Coming from a homeschool environment, the small class sizes and welcoming atmosphere allowed our children to quickly gain confidence and thrive in this challenging academic environment. The faculty and staff are top-notch and truly treat each child as part of their family. More impressive, are the students themselves. They are extremely conscientious, well-rounded, polite, articulate and support each other. I continue to be extremely impressed with West Sound Academy. - Posted by Parent
- February 09, 2014 - My sons have both attended West Sound Academy. This school brings to light the true value of learning. That education is the cornerstone in a person''s life. The philosophy of creating creative, independent life long learners is seen throughout the entire community. The students are challenged, stretched, and nutured all at the same time. I believe an education from West Sound Academy prepares my child for the future at a level I never imagined was possible when I became a parent. There are caring invested staff. There is a rich international culture. There is a community of students wanting to grow and learn every day. I cannot even beging to put a price on what this school has done for our family. - Posted by Parent
- October 06, 2012 - An absolutely amazing school for 6-12 grade. Academics are a very strong focus as is kindness, community, and compassion. Faculty is incredible. They offer great financial aid (which has been fantastic for us as a middle class family) & WSA is the only IB program around Kitsap. Recommended for smart, motivated students who want to achieve great things in the world and attend college after graduating, and for parents who are disappointed with the local public schools and the "just get by" attitude. - Posted by Parent