Grades: 6-12 | 291 students
Tilden Preparatory School believes that all students have an inherent right to a quality education, delivered with the highest respect for all concerned.
The school emphasizes individual achievement and promises a learning environment in which students master learning in all subject areas.
Two locations: 1231 Solano Avenue, Albany, CA 94707 and 1475 N. Broadway, Ste.
200, Walnut Creek, CA 94596
|School Type||Alternative School|
|School Membership(s)School Assoc.||Western States Association of Schools and Colleges (WASC)|
|Grades Offered||Grades 6-12|
|Learning Difference Programs||Yes|
|Learning Programs Supported||Call to inquire|
|Total Students||291 students|
|Student Body Type||Co-ed|
|Students by Grade|
Academics and Faculty
|Total Classroom Teachers||83 teachers|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||4:1
National avg.: 13:1
|% Faculty w/Advanced Degree||
|Average Class Size||1 students|
|Number of AP Courses||29 courses|
|List of Courses Offered||Link to List of Courses|
|Average SAT score||1720|
|Average ACT score||27|
|Matriculation DataMatric. Data||Link to Matriculation Data|
|Classroom Dress Code||Casual|
Finances and Admission
|Admission Deadline||None / Rolling|
|Tuition Notes||$75 per hour billed hourly.|
|% on Financial Aid||
National avg.: 85%
|Admissions Director||Sallie Bryan|
|Admissions Associate||Gail Alter|
- Personalized Education
- Tilden Preparatory School, originally named School For Independent Learners East Bay, is a private, college preparatory school for grades 6-12 that uses a tutorial style to teach curriculum one-to-one and in small groups. One-to-one teaching provides a tremendous opportunity for students to work at their own pace (either faster or slower than usual), with attention to their style of learning, and to maximize opportunities to pursue their areas of interest in greater depth. Group class opportunities complement the one-to-one classes so that students have the option and benefit of both learning environments. Tilden Prep offers more AP course options than most high schools, so that highly academic students have the opportunity to pursue as many areas of interest as they wish in greater depth, while students who prefer a more leisurely pace can take the time needed to fully understand the course material before moving on.
- Tilden Preparatory School is a full-time school for many students, and also offers individual classes for students enrolled in another school. In addition to teaching courses one-to-one and/or in small groups, we use a mastery learning approach, working with students to achieve 80% (B) or higher level mastery of the course material in order to ensure success in the current course and in similar future courses.
- Students in our full-time school have the opportunity to individualize their entire education. A personalized academic program can be created for the student who seeks greater intellectual challenge, for the athlete or musician who needs flexible scheduling, or for the student with learning differences that aren’t addressed in a large classroom setting. All courses taught at our school have been approved by the University of California (go to Academics or www.ucop.edu/doorways to see a list of UC approved courses) and meet requirements for college eligibility. Our requirements for high-school graduation exceed those designated by the State of California, and our graduates have been admitted to UC/CSU and private colleges (see our College Acceptances list) throughout the United States. We provide full-time students with opportunities for extracurricular activities, physical education, elective classes, and community service. Our part-time program is for students who want to remain in their current school, but are looking for individual or small group instruction in one or more classes. As in our full-time program, all classes count towards high school graduation and college eligibility, and we work closely with local schools to comply with their requirements.
- Tilden Preparatory School is fully accredited by the Schools Commission of the Western Association of Schools and Colleges, and our college-preparatory curriculum has been fully accepted by the University of California and the California State University systems.
Profile last updated: 11/19/2015
Nearby Private Schools:
- School Location Miles Grades Students
AlbanyGrades: PK-K | 20 students
1370 Marin Ave
Albany, CA 94706
El CerritoGrades: K-8 | 196 students
320 San Carlos Ave
El Cerrito, CA 94530
BerkeleyGrades: 9-12 | 619 students
1294 Albina Ave
Berkeley, CA 94706
BerkeleyGrades: 4-8 | 65 students
1475 Rose St
Berkeley, CA 94702
BerkeleyGrades: PK-K | 41 students
1600 Sacramento St
Berkeley, CA 94702
Rental Market Monitor
November 24, 2015
Many parents search for an answer to the question "How do I provide the kind of religious education I want for my child?" Religious education is a very personal, subjective matter. We explore some of your options.
November 19, 2015
Myths, urban legends and just plain misinformation abound concerning private schools. We shed some light on the facts you may not have known.
October 04, 2015
This A-Z list is designed to make you aware of the many things involved in choosing the right school for your child.