|School Type||School with Special Program Emphasis|
|School Membership(s)School Assoc.||European Council for International Schools
Western States Association of Schools and Colleges (WASC)
International Baccalaureate (IB) World School
Other special emphasis association(s)
|Grades Offered||Grades 6 - 12|
|Total Students||262 students|
|Student Body Type||Co-ed|
|% Students of Color||20%
State avg.: 41%
|Students by Grade|
Academics and Faculty
|Total Classroom Teachers||32 teachers|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||9:1
National avg.: 13:1
|% Faculty w/Advanced Degree||97%|
|Average Class Size||12 students|
|Number of AP Courses||22 courses|
|List of Courses Offered||Link to List of Courses|
|Advanced Courses||French Bac Advanced Biology, French Bac Advanced Economics & Social Sciences, French Bac Advanced French Literature, French Bac Advanced History/Geography, French Bac Advanced Mathematics, French Bac Advanced Physics/Chemistry, French Bac Advanced Spanish, French Bac Philosophy, IB Film, IB Higher Level Biology, IB Higher Level Chemistry, IB Higher Level Economics, IB Higher Level English A Literature, IB Higher Level French A Language and Literature, IB Higher Level History, IB Higher Level Mathematics, IB Higher Level Philosophy, IB Higher Level Psychology, IB Higher Level Spanish Language, IB Higher Level Visual Arts, IB ITGS (Information Technology for a Global Society), IB Theory of Knowledge,|
|Matriculation DataMatric. Data||Link to Matriculation Data|
|Classroom Dress Code||Casual
(School dress code rules are strictly enforced.)
Finances and Admission
|Admission Deadline||None / Rolling|
|Yearly Tuition Cost||$15,900|
|Tuition Notes||This is an average tuition amount. Tuition depends on grade.|
|% on Financial Aid||25%|
|Average Financial Aid Grant||$7,000|
National avg.: 85%
|Admissions Director||Juliette Lange|
|Admissions Associate||Anneli Harvey|
|Total Sports Offered||15 sports|
|Sports||Badminton, Basketball, Bowling, Dance, Equestrian, Freestyle Skiing, Gymnastics, Ice Hockey, Indoor Soccer, Soccer, Surf Team, Swimming, Tennis, Ultimate Frisbee, VolleyballBadminton, Basketball,
Equestrian, Freestyle Skiing,
Gymnastics, Ice Hockey,
Indoor Soccer, Soccer,
Surf Team, Swimming,
Tennis, Ultimate Frisbee,
|Total ExtracurricularsTotal Extra-curric.||11 extracurriculars|
|ExtracurricularsExtra-curric.||11th/12th Grade Madrid, Spain trip, Basketball Team plays at Staples Center, Chess Club, Dance Show, Drama Club, French Exchange, International School OIympics, Model United Nations, Montreal Exchange, Rome, Italy Exchange, Writing Club Chess Club, Dance Show, Drama Club, Writing Club, 11th/12th Grade Madrid, Spain trip,
Basketball Team plays at Staples Center,
International School OIympics,
Model United Nations,
Rome, Italy Exchange,
- Our Burbank campus hosts our secondary division (6th through 12th) with an enrollment of 262 students and an academic team of over 30 full-time teachers, of whom 97% have a teaching credential and 100% have a post-graduate degree. Due to the nature of the pedagogical program, the majority of the teaching staff is recruited from France. All speak English and many have mastered a third or fourth language. English, Literature, and American History classes are taught by native speakers. The school's faculty is recognized for being extremely professional and also personable. Students know their professors personally through the small class sizes.
- LILA is an IB (International Baccalaureate) World School, in addition to being accredited by the French Ministry of Education and the Western Association of Schools and Colleges (WASC). LILA also belongs to the Agence pour l’enseignement français à l’étranger (AEFE) and Mission laïque française (MLF) networks of schools.
- At the end of 9th grade, all students sit the French National Brevet examination. At the end of 10th grade, students choose between one of two Baccalaureate programs for their final two years at LILA: both programs are rigorous, pre-university courses of study that meet the needs of highly-motivated high school students. Regardless of orientation, each student takes an average of 34 class periods per week; each period is 50 minutes in length.
- LILA's core values are: first and foremost, academic excellence; collaboration, communication and community; commitment to the curriculum; utmost respect for all individuals within the school community; cultural diversity; and intellectual curiosity and open-mindedness.
- LILA teaches a bilingual program that culminates in the bilingual International Baccalaureate Diploma or the French Baccalauréat degree.
- The International Baccalaureate is a comprehensive two-year curriculum which promotes student-autonomy, independent research and a rich, post-modern educational environment. Consequently, the Diploma model is based on the pattern of no single country but incorporates the best elements of several. In short, it is designed as a microcosmic version of a university degree program.
- The French Baccalauréat: LILA offers three sections of the Baccalauréat Général: S, ES, and L. The Scientific Section (S) aims to develop both the apprenticeship of fundamental scientific knowledge and the conscience of the future citizen. This is possible thanks to an implementation of a thinking process engaged in a situation of research through a practical approach: use of appropriate techniques of observation, analysis, description, report writing, execution of experimental protocols, analysis and evaluation of the results. The Economics and Social Sciences Section (ES) is multidisciplinary in nature, integrating the socio-economic environment to contemporary issues, within a historical, geographical, mathematical, linguistic and cultural context. Its objective is to develop the knowledge and comprehension of the economies and societies of our time, thus helping students become responsible citizens while developing their critical thinking skills and curiosity. The Philosophy, Language, and Literature Section (L) integrates human sciences, literature, and languages without leaving aside the scientific field. Its multidisciplinary aspect aims to develop and promote critical thinking, curiosity, and a deep knowledge of authors and philosophers while supporting students on their path to multiculturalism.
- LILA prides itself on offering more than a rigorous academic program. To fulfill the goal to educate and develop the whole person, all juniors and seniors complete 150 hours of Community Service (CAS: Creativity, Action, Service). In addition, enriching extracurricular activities and internship opportunities for high school students are offered.
- Being immersed in a truly multicultural environment helps develop the ability to better understand one’s own culture - what makes it different, but also in which ways it is similar. This, in turn, helps maintain a strong sense of one’s own background. Teachers, staff and students come from all over the world, each bringing their own experiences and perspectives. Our students study and live in a world community every day.
- 5 campuses: - Burbank (Secondary) - Los Feliz - West Valley (Tarzana) - Pasadena - Orange (Santa Ana)
- Students from the Los Feliz, West Valley and Pasadena campuses are shuttled to the Burbank campus for secondary school.
Profile last updated: 02/03/2014
- School Location Miles Students Grades
Burbank Music Box Preschool & Kindergarten
720 S Main St
Burbank , CA , 91506
(818)848-0206Early Childhood / Day Cares0.5 mi | 70 students | Gr. K
BurbankSt. Finbar Parish School
2120 W Olive Ave
Burbank , CA , 91506
(818)848-0191(Roman Catholic)0.8 mi | 289 students | Gr. K-9
BurbankProvidence High School
511 S Buena Vista Street
Burbank , CA , 91505
(818)846-8141(Roman Catholic)0.8 mi | 420 students | Gr. 9-12
BurbankLearning Academy, The
510 N. Buena Vista Ave.
Burbank , CA , 91505
BurbankStudy Circle Preschool & Kindergarten
Burbank , CA , 91502
(818)842-1166Early Childhood / Day Cares1.4 mi | 39 students | Gr. K