Grades: K - 9 | 309 students
St. Stephen Martyr School opened its doors in 1926 to provide the families of Monterey Park with an opportunity for their children to receive a Catholic School education. Under the leadership of Fr. Michael Conneally, four classrooms were opened and staffed by the sisters of the Holy Names of Jesus and Mary. The school celebrated its first graduating class in 1928.The needs of the Catholic community in Monterey Park continued to grow. As a result, a new church and convent were built. New classrooms were added to the school until it became a fully enrolled 16-room school serving students in grades 1 through 8. front When the 16-room configuration was completed in 1964, the school served 743 pupils. By early 1980ís, enrollment was approximately 600 students. St. Stephen Martyr uses a collaborative school model. Shared participation from stakeholders such as parents, students, and the community allow us to gather diverse input and buy-in. We have a formal Advisory School Board, Parent-Teacher-Organization, and Student Council. Shared governance is important in accessing the talents and skills of our community to promote the well-being of our students. At St. Stephen Martyr School, parents, teachers, students and staff form a learning and faith community committed to helping each student develop academic and communication skills, grow in understanding of Catholic faith, demonstrate Christ-like qualities of compassion, tolerance and respect, become life-long learners who demonstrate personal responsibility and commitment to the larger community.