New Canaan Country School
|School Membership(s)||National Association of Independent Schools (NAIS)
State or regional independent school association
|Grades Offered||Grades Nursery/Preschool - 9|
|Learning Difference Programs||Yes|
|Total Students||646 students|
|Student Body Type||Co-ed|
|% Students of Color||16% (CT School Avg.: 24%)|
|Students by Grade|
|Academics and Faculty|
|Total Classroom Teachers||124 teachers|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||6:1 (National school avg.: 13:1)|
|% Faculty w/Advanced Degree||68%|
|Average Class Size||16 students|
|Number of AP Courses||2 courses|
|List of Courses Offered||Link to List of Courses|
|Matriculation Data||Link to Matriculation Data|
|Classroom dress code||Casual
(Middle and Upper School boys are required to wear collared shirts. Shorts may be worn during fall and spring trimesters.)
|Finances and Admission|
|Admission Deadline||Jan. 15 / rolling|
|% on Financial Aid||20%|
|Admissions Director||Nancy R. Hayes|
|Admissions Associate||Cathy Schinella|
|Total Sports Offered||11 sports|
|Cross Country||Field Hockey|
|Total Extracurriculars||16 extracurriculars|
|Cake Boss||Community Service|
|Computer Building Club||Debate Club|
|Ecological Task Force Club||Glee Club|
|Guitar Club||Happy Feet Dance Club|
|Harry Potter Club||Movie Making|
|Photography 101||Ping Pong Club|
|Robocode Club||T-shirt Design Club|
|Taste Around the World||chess Club|
New Canaan Country School is an independent day school for students in pre-Kindergarten through Grade 9. Founded in 1916, the school offers a strong academic program, balanced with arts and athletics, in an environment that fosters learning by doing, and develops higher-level critical thinking skills along the continuum of developmental stages.
1. Extraordinary Teachers Seasoned professionals and apprentices, men and women, diverse in all respects, the Country School faculty is our most important asset. Over 65% have advanced degrees. Weekly training on and off campus ensures that our teachers are lifelong learners and inspire children to be the same.
2. Excellence in Every Classroom Our students will attend the most demanding secondary public and private schools in the country. Across the continuum, from Beginners through grade nine, we challenge children to learn core academic skills and concepts, to express themselves in all art forms, and to push themselves on the playing fields.
3. Respect for Childhood Childhood is a vital but fleeting period in life. We design all of our curriculum and activities so that they are just right for each age group. Children learn differently as they mature: we want them to fully appreciate what it means to be three, six, ten, or fourteen.
4. Learning from Experience Children learn best by doing: discussing, debating, asking questions, working in teams, taking risks, experiencing the natural world, and interacting in the community. For 93 years, we have helped children become confident by expecting them to actively participate in the learning process.
5. Preparation for the World to Come The 21st century world in which our children will live and lead is increasingly diverse in terms of class, religion, race, gender, and orientation. Our curriculum and the make-up of our community ensure that children learn how to navigate a multicultural world with curiosity and respect.
6. Technology Tools for Today Every day students here use technology to learn critical thinking skills, creativity, and collaboration. Videoconferencing with students in the Middle East, using web-based tools for collaboration, researching a science topic, or creating art; technology is a tool that helps children to learn about themselves and the world.
7. A Community of Good Character Beginning in the earliest grades, we emphasize rights and responsibilities in our school community. We value high standards of academic and personal behavior, and accountability for one's actions. Parents are vital partners in the school's success, older and younger students work together, and academic buildings are designed to foster community.
8. Compassion in Action Among the many lessons our students learn are how to be kind and compassionate. We create a safe climate with mutual respect between teachers and students, teaching the will and skills to solve conflicts and a commitment to social justice. Daily campus jobs and regular service projects put theory into action.
9. A 75-acre Classroom Our expansive campus is an ideal classroom for our 649 students, with multiple school buildings, gyms, playing fields, a woodshop, and 30 acres of woods and trails. Every day we teach independence and care for nature in a safe, beautiful setting.
10. A "Green School" Leader Country School is a leader among private and public schools in its commitment to sustainability. In the curriculum, service projects, campus operations, energy use, building construction, and food programs, we model environmental responsibility for families and the community.
Profile last updated: 02/14/2012
Related School Videos:
Share Your Shoes
17 days ago
Related School News:
- New Canaan Country School donates 125 games to P2P toy store - Newcanaannewsonline
posted on December 24, 2012 at 07:41:49 pm
New Canaan Country School donates 125 games to P2P toy storeNewcanaannewsonlineChildren in the Lower School at New Canaan Country School brought in 125 games to ...
- New Canaan Offices, Schools Close For Christmas - The Daily Voice
posted on December 22, 2012 at 05:17:14 am
New Canaan Offices, Schools Close For ChristmasThe Daily VoiceNew Canaan Public Schools, which had a half-day on Friday, will be closed for a holiday break before ...
- New Canaan to Tanzania Skype call a learning experience for students - Newcanaannewsonline
posted on December 5, 2012 at 10:57:05 pm
New Canaan to Tanzania Skype call a learning experience for studentsNewcanaannewsonlineStudents in Kristen Ball's fifth-grade class at New Canaan Country School wave to ...
Gr. Nursery/Preschool-9 | 0 mi. away
Gr. PK-12 | 1 mi. away
Gr. K-2 | 1.4 mi. away
Gr. K-6 | 1.6 mi. away
Gr. K-6 | 2 mi. away
Gr. 7-9 | 2.1 mi. away
- October 27,2012 - NCCS is a great school for all ages. My sibling have all gone their and so have I. My kids currently go there also.*-Posted by Parent *