Grades: K-5 | 73 students
- At SMCS, the combined emphasis upon academic excellence and spiritual training, taught in an intimate, hands-on, stimulating classroom environment that inspires a love of learning, creates an outstanding elementary school experience.
- Qualified, experienced teachers who care for and pray for each student model joyful faith as they address the spiritual, academic and personal development of each child.
- Thus, our motto: "Educating for Life.".
|School Membership(s)School Assoc.||Association of Christian Schools International (ACSI)|
|Grades Offered||Grades Kindergarten-5|
|Total Students||73 students|
|Student Body Type||Co-ed|
|% Students of Color||
State avg.: 17%
|Students by Grade|
Academics and Faculty
|Total Classroom Teachers||8 teachers|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||9:1
National avg.: 13:1
|% Faculty w/Advanced Degree||
|Average Class Size||8 students|
Finances and Admission
|Admission Deadline||None / Rolling|
|Tuition Notes||(2012-13 school year) K-2: $4,300; 3-5: $4,800|
|Admissions Director||Danette Kelley|
- The elementary school years are the most important in a child's intellectual and spiritual development. It is universally understood that children who, in elementary school, receive a solid foundation in reading, writing, math, science and history are equipped to excel during the remainder of their academic careers. What is often overlooked is that, during these same years, each child is learning and internalizing the values and beliefs that will shape and determine in large part his or her faith and character in adulthood.
- SMCS exists to assist Christian parents in educating their children to better understand God’s Word and His world. It is our goal to partner with parents to lead their children to faith in Jesus Christ, and help them to acquire a Christian world and life view, develop Christian character, and become equipped and motivated to impact the world for Christ.
- SMCS provides a broad, stimulating education that inspires a lifelong love of learning. Whenever practical, our teachers use techniques pioneered by Charlotte Mason. These techniques enable students to bring all their mental faculties into play: to identify important information, to think critically, to make value judgments about the ideas and relationships introduced, to express themselves, and to learn the vocabulary of good writers. The atmosphere in each class is conductive to learning: an intimate setting incorporating nature, classical music, art and scents. Through the great writings of men and women who love their subjects, and using the original texts, SMCS students are introduced to important ideas and inspirational relationships such as love, service, authority, obedience, reverence and neighborly kindness; relationships with family, friends and neighbors, cause and country, the past and the present. Charlotte Mason techniques are complimented by traditional, proven curriculum including phonics based reading, Saxon Math, and rich science and history texts. In addition to Bible classes and scripture memory, Christian thought is integrated into every subject as appropriate. God is the Lord of history, math, science, social studies, fine arts, and all other areas of human scholarship and inquiry. Our daily curriculum is filled with the wonder of discovering God's infinite wisdom, power and love in every area of human activity. It is an outworking of a Christian world and life view that recognizes the divine presence in the intricacies of a single snowflake, or the sonatas of Mozart; in the order of the solar system, or the brush strokes of Rembrandt.
- The school functions as an extension of the home, making parents true partners in their child's education. Qualified, experienced teachers-who know each student's heart as well as his or her academic strengths and weaknesses-pray for each student and model joyful faith as they give individual attention to the spiritual, academic, physical and personal development of each child, and reinforce the mutual values of the parents and the school. Parents have abundant opportunities to assist in the classrooms by reading to the class or with individual students, helping in the library, making presentations in areas of parental expertise that enrich the curriculum, and accompanying school trips. Parents have frequent opportunities to meet with the teachers, including scheduled events like quarterly progress meetings and monthly Parent-Teacher-Board meetings at which parents are updated as to what is going on in the school, and pray for specific needs of the students, their families and each other. The result is a supportive community atmosphere and an outstanding elementary school experience for parents and students alike.
- SMCS uses use the Stanford Achievement Test as a measure of academic progress in the 3rd, 4th, and 5th grades. Using a national achievement test allows us to measure our students' progress against students from all states, not just Tennessee, in both public and private schools. Generally, SMCS students perform in the above average range, well above the national average, and exceed the national average by a greater and greater margin with each year of education. By 5th grade they usually average 4-7 years ahead with many testing post-high school.
- SMCS students have a very high acceptance rate at private prep schools and Christian middle schools. The feedback we have received from principals, admissions directors, and parents is that our students have good character, have an excellent academic foundation, and are very well prepared to succeed academically at those institutions.
- If you would like to know more about SMCS, we invite you to visit our website at smcstn.org, or call the school office at 423-886-1115.
- School Location Miles Grades Students
ChattanoogaGrades: PK-5 | 364 students
Po Box 8099
Chattanooga, TN 37414
ChattanoogaGrades: PK-5 | 319 students
1950 Hixson Pike
Chattanooga, TN 37405
ChattanoogaGrades: PK-8 | 168 students
800 Belvoir Ave
Chattanooga, TN 37412
ChattanoogaGrades: PK-5 | 199 students
7525 Min Tom Dr
Chattanooga, TN 37421
ChattanoogaGrades: PK-5 | 193 students
848 Ashland Ter
Chattanooga, TN 37415
February 11, 2017
Let's think about the employment process from the point of view of your making me want to hire you. Here are some points to ponder.
February 10, 2017
It is easy to fall into the trap of not keeping your skill-set current. There's no time and no need anyway. We look at why you need to keep things current and offer some suggestions as to how to proceed.
February 10, 2017
The only way private schools can build their financial security is through gifts. Major gifts offer proof of how deeply many donors feel about their private schools. Their munificence is a wonderful example to others.