Grades: K-8 | 174 students
Founded in 1889, St. Catherine's Academy is a Catholic school with a military tradition for boys in kindergarten – 8th grade.
With a student-to-faculty ratio of 10:1, students can receive personal attention and specialized instruction.
St. Catherine's strives to nurture in each student an awareness of God and a sense of moral responsibility. We welcome boys of all faith traditions and respect the religious beliefs of all members of our school community.
Our unique military program is designed to help each boy rise to his fullest potential. Based on positive peer pressure, our program helps students develop leadership skills and increase their self-confidence.
Our outstanding music department provides classroom instruction in music theory, music history, and musical experiences. Students are also welcome to play in the marching band and take private piano or guitar lessons.
St. Catherine's recognizes the important role that athletics plays in the development of a well-rounded young man. Our physical education program and championship athletic teams seek to develop skills and capabilities that reach far beyond the athletic field.
- Founded in 1889, St. Catherine's Academy is a Catholic school with a military tradition for boys in kindergarten – 8th grade.
- We provide young men with a faith-filled foundation for lifelong success.
- Our multifaceted program includes faith formation, all-boys academics, and a military tradition for leadership and self-motivation.
- We offer small classes, state-of-the-art technology, marching band, athletics, and much more.
- We welcome day and boarding students.
- As the only Catholic grade school with a military tradition in the US, our school is so unique you have to see it for yourself!.
|School Membership(s)School Assoc.||National Catholic Educational Association (NCEA)
Association of Military Colleges and Schools
National Coalition of Boys' Schools
Western Association of Schools and Colleges (WASC)
|Religious Affiliation||Roman Catholic|
|Grades Offered||Grades Kindergarten-8|
|Learning Difference Programs||Yes|
|Learning Programs Supported||ESL, Resource Specialist|
|Total Students||174 students|
|Student Body Type||All-boys|
|% Students of Color||
State avg.: 44%
|Students by Grade|
Academics and Faculty
|Total Classroom Teachers||15 teachers|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||12:1
National avg.: 13:1
|% Faculty w/Advanced Degree||
|Average Class Size||15 students|
|Classroom Dress Code||Formal|
Finances and Admission
|Admission Deadline||None / Rolling|
|Yearly Tuition Cost||$10,810|
|Tuition Notes||5-day and 7-day boarding options available for both U.S. and International students.|
|% on Financial Aid||
|Average Financial Aid Grant||$2,500|
National avg.: 85%
|Admissions Director||Graciela Salvador|
|Admissions Associate||Jesenia Botello|
|Total Sports Offered||7 sports|
|Sports||Basketball, Drill Team, Flag Football, Soccer, Softball, Swimming, VolleyballBasketball, Drill Team,
Flag Football, Soccer,
|Total ExtracurricularsTotal Extra-curric.||4 extracurriculars|
|ExtracurricularsExtra-curric.||Color Guard, Drill Team, Marching Band, Prayer Group Color Guard, Drill Team, Marching Band, Prayer Group,|
- Founded and operated by the Dominican Sisters of Mission San Jose, St. Catherine's Academy is an independent Catholic boys' academy with a military tradition. We are committed to guiding each boy to his fullest potential.
- As the only all boys' elementary school in southern California, we are dedicated to providing the best learning environment for boys by offering small class sizes, more teacher attention, structure and consistency. Our teachers are able to focus on the specific learning styles of boys and young men.
- St. Catherine's offers enrichment classes in music, physical education, Spanish, computer skills, laboratory science, teamwork and leadership, marching band, piano, and guitar.
- The St. Catherine's faculty consists of Dominican Sisters and lay colleagues. Our faculty members have an average of 23 years experience, and 64% hold advanced degrees. St. Catherine's teachers are known for their open communication with parents and dedication to overall student success.
- St. Catherine's offers opportunities for students' faith to find expression in their daily lives and choices by:providing liturgical experiences which encourage active participation as lectors, choir members, and altar servers; providing religion classes which present doctrine and scripture in a relevant and interesting manner; engaging cadets in various prayer experiences in class, in the dormitory, and at morning assembly; and helping cadets to reflect on the values and moral principles which guide their choices and actions.
- Our military program strives to instill in our boys leadership, confidence, honor, courage, commitment, responsibility, compassion, and respect. An SCA cadet places a high value on personal integrity and adherence to the honor code. The structure and consistency of this program enables our boys to develop leadership skills, self-motivation, and confidence.
- Our boarding option (grades 4 – 8 only) gives added structure to a student's day. Resident students participate in a full day of classes, activities, meals, and study hall before returning to one of our four dormitories, which are staffed by our Dominican Sisters.
- Approximately 20% of students are international, introducing our cadets to a variety of cultures.
- With a fun and secure 8-acre campus, SCA is located in southern California, just minutes away from Disneyland, Knotts Berry Farm, and the beach. Our spacious campus includes a football field, an obstacle course, an indoor heated pool, and a gymnasium.
- Our academic facilities are second-to-none. Each classroom is equipped with a SmartBoard. Facilities also include a computer lab, science lab, piano room with ten practice pianos, band room, guitar room, and newly renovated library.
- Our program is so unique you have to see if for yourself. Schedule your tour today!
- School Location Miles Grades Students
LakesideGrades: 1-7 | 84 students
1871 E Main Street
Lakeside, AZ 36055
CarlsbadGrades: 7-12 | 320 students
2605 Carlsbad Boulevard
Carlsbad, CA 92008
Costa MesaGrades: K-8 | 705 students
300 Fischer Ave
Costa Mesa, CA 92626
Buena ParkGrades: 5-12
8699 Holder St.
Buena Park, CA 90620
Santa AnaGrades: PK-8 | 313 students
12421 Newport Avenue
Santa Ana, CA 92705
Best school for boys. Outstanding education by the top teachers. Excellent discipline by ex military men via self control and physical exercise. Healthy, positive atmosphere empowering young men. Kind and nurturing guidance by the nuns and office staff. Wholesome, healthy meals from scratch 3 meals a day by kitchen crew. We drive because our boys deserve an amazing environment.
- Posted by Parent - irene
February 23, 2017
You probably have several reasons why you think a specific school might be a good fit for your needs and requirements. Have you considered all fifteen of these reasons?
February 11, 2017
Let's think about the employment process from the point of view of your making me want to hire you. Here are some points to ponder.
February 10, 2017
It is easy to fall into the trap of not keeping your skill-set current. There's no time and no need anyway. We look at why you need to keep things current and offer some suggestions as to how to proceed.