Grades: PK-8 | 243 students
St. Mary Star of the Sea School is operated under the auspices of the Catholic Bishop of Chicago, a corporation sole, in the Archdiocese of Chicago.
St. Mary Star of the Sea School admits students of any race, color, sex, national and ethnic origin to all the rights, privileges, programs, and activities generally accorded or made available to students in this school.
St. Mary Star of the Sea School engages in the formation of an active Catholic Community.
We recognized that the educational process is accomplished in cooperation with the parents who are the primary educators and first role models.
Their cooperative efforts, support, and assistance enhance the lifelong learning process.
Our environment provides Religious, Academic, and Social components. The Mission of St. Mary Star of the Sea School is to offer a value-oriented curriculum based upon Catholic principles that meets the challenges of the future.
|School Membership(s)School Assoc.||National Catholic Educational Association (NCEA)
National Association for the Education of Young Children
|Religious Affiliation||Roman Catholic|
|Grades Offered||Grades Prekindergarten-8|
|Total Students||243 students|
|Student Body Type||Co-ed|
|Students by Grade|
Academics and Faculty
|Total Classroom Teachers||11 teachers|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||23:1
National avg.: 13:1
|Average Class Size||20 students|
|Classroom Dress Code||Formal|
Finances and Admission
|Admission Deadline||None / Rolling|
|Total Sports Offered||3 sports|
|Sports||Basketball, Soccer, VolleyballBasketball, Soccer,
|Total ExtracurricularsTotal Extra-curric.||8 extracurriculars|
|ExtracurricularsExtra-curric.||Band, Basketball, Boy/Cub/Girl Scouts, Folkloric Dancing, Lego Club, Running Club, Soccer, Volleyball Band, Basketball, Lego Club, Running Club, Soccer, Volleyball, Boy/Cub/Girl Scouts,
- Dear Parents and Guardians,
- Welcome to St. Mary Star of the Sea School. We are proud of our dedicated, experienced staff and enthusiastic learners!
- We are committed to the education of the total child, and recognize that you, the parents, are the primary educator. We pledge to work with you to help your child grow into an individual, well formed in their Catholic faith, who has the tools to be successful in future academic endeavors and the world beyond the classroom.
- As demands and complexities of teaching children increase, it becomes more evident that we all need to work together to insure that our children reach their potential. We believe that all of us the school, community and Church must work together in an extended family environment to ensure success for all our students. We believe it is everyone`s responsibility to empower children with the creative, intellectual, and decision making skills necessary for them to become academically, socially, physically and emotionally successful and responsible.
- At St. Mary`s we have many accomplishments of which we are proud. Our students perform above the national average on the TerraNova tests. They participate in a variety of after school activities such as a running club, song leaders, student council, band, Boy and Girl Scouts, a Lego club, and Folkloric Dancing. With the cooperation of the parents, a new Technology Lab and playground were built. Also, in conjunction with our school Weather Bug Station, Cecilia Arellano, a fifth grader (2015), was selected as a Friday Forecaster on WGN`s Morning News with Paul Conrad!
- Keeping this in mind, we invite you to become an active member of our Church and school community. Whether you are classroom volunteer, Parent Family Association member, special event participant, or member of one of our school committees, you are encouraged to be involved! Research on schools clearly demonstrates that parent participation in their child`s school coincides with a greater likelihood of academic success for their child.
- I look forward to having a long and rewarding relationship with you and your family.
- Candice M. Usauskas, Principal
November 21, 2016
What is really important in choosing a private school? Ranks? Academics? Financial aid? Sports programs? Arts programs? One of these criteria doesn't matter. The others do.
November 09, 2016
Private School Review has a robust search engine which will make your private school search process much easier to do. Here are some tips on how to use this tool.
November 09, 2016
We take a look at the enormous impact a private foundation can have on education.