- The Beekman School is a top private school for grades 9 through 12 located in New York City.
- We deliver a traditional college preparatory program characterized by strong academic standards while maintaining the flexibility necessary to meet individual needs. Beekman specializes in personalized learning.
- To that end, we provide flexible scheduling, rolling admissions, classes of no more than 10 students and the option of one-on-one instruction and customized courses through The Tutoring School.
- Contact our school today and learn how we can work with you.
|Grades Offered||Grades 9-12|
|Offers Post-Graduate Year||Yes|
|Learning Difference Programs||Yes|
|Learning Programs Supported||Mild Learning Differences|
|Total Students||62 students|
|Student Body Type||Co-ed|
|% Students of Color||
State avg.: 29%
|Students by Grade|
Academics and Faculty
|Total Classroom Teachers||10 teachers|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||7:1
National avg.: 13:1
|% Faculty w/Advanced Degree||
|Number of AP Courses||4 courses|
|List of Courses Offered||Link to List of Courses|
|Advanced Courses||Advanced Economics, Advanced Government, AP Calculus, AP English Language & Composition, AP English Literature & Composition, AP United States History, Theoretical Physics|
|Average SAT score||1577|
|Classroom Dress Code||Casual|
Finances and Admission
|Admission Deadline||None / Rolling|
|Yearly Tuition Cost||$38,500|
|Tuition Notes||Tuition is pro-rated and payable in installments.|
|Average Financial Aid Grant||$19,250|
|Admissions Director||George Higgins|
|Admissions Associate||Maren Holmen|
|Total ExtracurricularsTotal Extra-curric.||2 extracurriculars|
|ExtracurricularsExtra-curric.||Student Council, Yearbook Yearbook, Student Council,
- The Beekman School/The Tutoring School, a private high school for grades 9 through 12, founded in 1925, provides a competitive preparatory school curriculum with the advantage of offering highly individualized instruction where teaching is designed specifically to meet the needs of the individual. Class size is limited to 10 students in The Beekman School and 3 students in The Tutoring School. Its mission is to provide a supportive environment in which students can realize their academic potential and achieve their educational goals. This program can also educate students who require private or semi-private classes. Students who require such classes range from student actors or dancers who need to be out of school by the afternoon, students who want to accelerate and graduate early, those who wish to create an individualized honors program, students who need slight remediation in certains subjects as well as students who would like to take any type of Advanced Placement course.
- The Beekman School`s objective is to provide students with the tools and the confidence required to control their own destiny, to become life-long learners and to give back to their communities. Beekman is tailored to nurture the development of each individual student. To that end, we provide flexible scheduling, rolling admissions, classes of no more than 10 students and the option of private instruction and customized courses through The Tutoring School. Despite our size, we have a diverse student body with young men and women from all walks of life and all parts of the world. Beekman students play an active role in shaping their education, which helps to instill in them a sense of commitment and responsibility. They interact on a daily basis with an exceptional faculty that they come to know on a first-name basis. And when they graduate, they leave not only with a solid academic foundation, but with a keen sense of what lies ahead.
- School Location Miles Grades Students
New YorkGrades: 6-12 | 350 students
40 West 68th Street
New York, NY 10023
New YorkGrades: K-12 | 1281 students
108 E 89th St
New York, NY 10128
New YorkGrades: PK-12 | 1240 students
5 W 93rd St
New York, NY 10025
New YorkGrades: K-12 | 587 students
210 E 77th Street
New York, NY 10075
New YorkGrades: 9-12 | 206 students
980 Park Avenue
New York, NY 10028
I first discovered The Beekman School in 2005 when my older son had left a boarding school that was not a good fit, and we found ourselves looking for a school for his senior year, not an easy task. My husband had died unexpectedly the year before, so I was doing this on my own. Arriving at our appointment, Headmaster George Higgins immediately made us feel comfortable, and was most encouraging. Under his direction the application process was easy, and the transition smooth. My son soon found himself with wonderful teachers who were eager to bring out his strengths, and as his confidence grew, he quickly began earning the best grades of his life. The very small class sizes were ideal in helping him to focus, and if extra support was needed, The Tutoring School within Beekman was right there to help. He also quickly made friends, finding the other Beekman students lively and diverse, friendly and caring. He still keeps in touch with many of them. He had an amazing senior year, and only wished he had been able to benefit from all four years at Beekman. In 2012, my younger son, adopted from Eastern Europe, was experiencing some reading comprehension challenges, and although passing, was struggling at his school. There was also some teasing going on. I called George Higgins again, and he welcomed us warmly, as returning family members. My younger son started Beekman in his sophomore year, and to our delight, many of the teachers are still there, all these years later. Having always been a good Math student, my son quickly started to receive top grades in Algebra and Physics, and for the first time did well in English and History, challenging subjects for him before. The individual attention Beekman offers has made him blossom, and he has been an Honor Roll student. He has made many friends, and there is no teasing. He is part of Student Government, and loves going to school. He will graduate in 2015. I couldn't be more grateful to George Higgins and the dedicated teachers of The Beekman School, for giving both my sons such an excellent and enjoyable high school experience.
- Posted by Parent - judre
Beekman school is direct in its management, academics, in or out of school activities, personal interaction, and importantly the quality of its staff. As innovation facilitates our lives, it is in the same way Beekman school juxtaposes its genuine state of the art humanitarian approach. It is a school that has evolved, and hasn't lost its refined moral workmanship, towards one another. It possesses a true quality education, academically with a deep sense of value.
- Posted by Parent - ella
As the College Counselor at Beekman, spring is an exciting, and rewarding time. All the seniors that applied to college have been admitted to college, and they are excited about where they will continue their education. Most seniors have many choices. There's no anger or disappointment about their future plans. Students at Beekman don't seem to have a sense of entitlement. They are genuinely happy, and grateful that they will be attending college. What's particularly intriguing to me is that students attend colleges throughout the world. Unlike some suburban high schools where students apply to the same name brand colleges, Beekman students seek academic opportunities internationally. The name of the college is not the priority of students or parents. Juniors are very aware of the process seniors have endured. They are very attentive during our spring Junior Class Meeting where we discuss the college selection, and admissions process in detail. Each junior is made aware of several things they need to do over the summer to begin the application process, such as drafting an essay, creating accounts for CUNY colleges, and for the Common Application. Each student will meet with me in September and October to confirm or establish realistic college choices. All students have my email and are strongly encouraged to contact me anytime throughout the process. I'm happy to say, most students do this.
- Posted by Teacher - scott
Beekman provided excellent academics. The teachers were smart and inspiring. My daughter enjoyed Calculus. She also took Mandarin individually in the tutoring school. Beekman was flexible enough to give my daughter credit for her twice weekly singing lessons and her performances. I am proud to be able to say that my daughter was on honor roll. Beekman was the first school she liked.
- Posted by Parent - robin
After teaching at a large public school for ten years, I was beginning to forget why I had become a teacher in the first place. That is why teaching at The Beekman School for the past four years has been a very rewarding experience. The small class sizes have allowed me to make a more meaningful impact on my students and renewed my passion for my chosen profession. All of the teachers I work with at the school enjoy what they do and look forward to coming to work. This is the sign of a positive learning environment!
- Posted by Teacher - ianr
Beekman School provided amazing acceleration and enrichment opportunities for my son in his areas of interest via their tutoring school. I was thrilled with the quality of instruction my son received in math (including Calculus), chemistry lab, and English--the three subjects he studied at Beekman. He was able to move at his own pace and to have meaningful discussions about course content with his instructors. They respected his individuality and utilized a variety of learning-styles. He loved and looked forward to going to every class at Beekman. FYI, the Beekman School was wiling to teach him calculus at age 10! We were so impressed with The Beekman School!
- Posted by Parent - profs