Grades: NS-3 | 48 students
At The Boyd School, we embrace a Montessori philosophy of education and create a warm, welcoming and secure place for children to challenge themselves and excel.
In this environment, children develop their intellectual, social and physical abilities and talents to their fullest.
We welcome family involvement, helping parents better understand the learning style and temperament of their child-and work together to maximize childrens strengths.
Our programs serve children from 18 months through grade 3e, and cater to a wide variety of families' schedules.
The Boyd School is fully accredited by the American Montessori Society and the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Council on Accreditation and School Improvement additionally, The Boyd School is recognized by the Virginia Council for Private Education.
|School Type||Montessori School|
|School Membership(s)School Assoc.||American Montessori Society (AMS)
Southern Association Of Colleges And Schools (SACS)
|Grades Offered||Grades Nursery/Preschool-3|
|Total Students||48 students|
|Student Body Type||Co-ed|
|Students by Grade|
Academics and Faculty
|Total Classroom Teachers||12 teachers|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||4:1
National avg.: 13:1
Finances and Admission
|Admission Deadline||None / Rolling|
|Tuition Notes||Monthly tuition ranges from $817 - $1,855 depending on the program enrolled|
|Admissions Director||Rigel Wysell|
- The custom built Reston Campus is nestled at the entrance to a quiet neighborhood at the border of Herndon and Reston, minutes from Great Falls. The consistent, nurturing environments of the carefully prepared classrooms encourage children to embrace learning. The campus features developmentally appropriate and secure play areas for toddlers through elementary in addition to a cozy and inviting library for children to enjoy everything from special presentations to storytime.
- Toddler (18 months - 3 years)
- Early Childhood (3 - 6 years)
- The Early Childhood (3-6 years) program at the Reston Campus of The Boyd School offers children a unique opportunity to learn and grow. In addition to the core curriculum offered at the Early Childhood level at all of The Boyd School campuses, the custom-built Reston school nestled in the lush corner of the Herndon / Reston border creates a quiet & safe, neighborhood style learning environment. Located minutes from Great Falls, Dranesville just off of Rte. 7, the location of the school allows students to take short trips for enriching educational field trips. Located directly across from Fire Station 39, parents have an added sense of security and The Boyd School is proud to call the firefighters and EMS personnel friends.
- The accredited Early Childhood program is instructed by credentialed teachers in class sizes below the average in Fairfax County. The individualized instruction of the Montessori program allows for children to advance at their own pace while developing a well-rounded, solid academic and social foundation.
- The actively engaged parent group provides families with ample opportunity to be a part of the school community through morning social events and parent educational events. Parents often visit the classrooms to share their rich and diverse experiences, cultures, and wisdom. From cultural presentations such as playing of the Didjeridu to engaging children in an interactive bone density presentation, the parents have a long history of sharing with the school community.
- Kindergarten (5 years prior to Dec. 31)
- The accredited Kindergarten program at Reston provides children with a full academic school day (8:30a - 3:00p). Students work in the mixed-aged Montessori classroom in the morning and are guided towards educational outcomes. The individualized curriculum allows for children to advance at their own pace while developing a strong sense of independent learning techniques.
- Because the children are in a mixed-aged environment in the morning, Kindergarten students develop a sense of added pride from beinging the oldest children in their classroom and often take on a roll of mentor to younger children.
- The afternoon of the Kindergarten program consists of the children working in a small group setting (typically less than 8 children). This environment provides our Kindergarten student the unique opportunity to explore more in-depth concepts and develop small group skills. The expansive outdoor environment provides children with a unique opportunity to not only read and learn about their environment and nature but to experience the world beyond their classroom first hand.
- Kindergarten students at the Reston campus take numerous field trips to take advantage of the rich opportunities of the DC Metropolitan area. Each year the Kindergarten students attend a number of age appropriate musical performances by the National Symphony Orchestra at the Kennedy Center and guided tours at the National Gallery of Art.
- Elementary School (6 - 9 years)
Nearby Private Schools:
- School Location Miles Grades Students
HerndonGrades: K-8 | 99 students
1089 Liberty Meeting Ct
Herndon, VA 20170
1309 North Village Rd.
Reston, VA 20194
HerndonGrades: PK-KG | 27 students
12215 Sugar Maple Dr
Herndon, VA 20170
11875 Lake Newport Rd.
Reston, VA 20194
HerndonGrades: PK-12 | 257 students
1545 Dranesville Rd
Herndon, VA 20170
Rental Market Monitor
January 25, 2016
This is a very practical list of things you must do before you graduate. The items on this list will enhance your college applications.
January 08, 2016
Here are my picks for 'must have' web sites when it comes to finding out about private K-12 schools.
January 05, 2016
Many parents search for an answer to the question "How do I provide the kind of religious education I want for my child?" Religious education is a very personal, subjective matter. We explore some of your options.