Grades: NS-8 | 403 students
The Laurel Hill School is a vibrant learning community dedicated both to excellence in education and to improving the quality of individual student life.
With helping hands, Laurel Hill encourages students to initiate journeys culminating in the establishment of individuality.
|Grades Offered||Grades Nursery/Preschool-8|
|Total Students||403 students|
|Student Body Type||Co-ed|
|% Students of Color||
State avg.: 29%
|Students by Grade|
Academics and Faculty
|Total Classroom Teachers||28 teachers|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||15:1
National avg.: 13:1
|Average Class Size||16 students|
|Classroom Dress Code||Casual
(Casual and dress uniforms K-8)
Finances and Admission
|Admission Deadline||None / Rolling|
|Total Sports Offered||3 sports|
|Sports||Baseball, Basketball, SoccerBaseball, Basketball,
|Total ExtracurricularsTotal Extra-curric.||18 extracurriculars|
|ExtracurricularsExtra-curric.||Broadway Babies, Chess, Chinese, Community Theater, Dalcroze Music, Debate, Drama, Foreign Language club, Intramurals, Lego Challenge, Long Island Science & Engineering, Math Olympiads, Micro Society, Mock Trial, NASA Quest, Science Quest, Soccer, Suzuki Chess, Chinese, Dalcroze Music, Debate, Drama, Intramurals, Lego Challenge, Math Olympiads, Micro Society, Mock Trial, NASA Quest, Science Quest, Soccer, Suzuki, Broadway Babies,
Foreign Language club,
Long Island Science & Engineering,
- The achievement of top academic performance is certainly a standard for each student, but learning how to achieve shares equal importance. We invite critical thought, welcome creative leaps, and encourage passion in learning and doing.
- Every grade employs a small-class size model to enable close student and teacher interaction, promote individualized studies, and to encourage independent learning. An educational assistant is assigned to each class.
- Students organize to help our local, national, and world communities. Boys and girls work with "outreach" organizations to relieve some of the most pressing social needs.
- Themes are school-wide curriculum enrichment projects that allow the entire student body to study together as a community. Some previous themes include Black History, Poetry, The Election, Classical Literature and Earth Day.
- Students are encouraged to act in accord with their values and to always consider the best interests of others in their decision making. Caring, kindness, respect, responsibility, honesty and trustworthiness are central character building virtues emphasized throughout.
- Our Preschool Center is specially designed for infants, toddlers and preschoolers from 6 weeks old to 5 years old.
- Preschoolers, our 3-5 year old children, live in a magical time and space. The Preschool is a wonderland of opportunity to explore, discover and encounter the world. The program includes literature, reading readiness, math readiness, music movement, science discoveries, social studies explorations, physical education, computers, art, and playtime fun!
- Toddlers from 2-3 enjoy a fun-filled romp with everything our preschoolers do but tailored to their development. Language and social and motor skills receive special emphasis, as well as, careful attendance to emerging interests and voracious curiosity needs. All done under the guidance of warm, sensitive and genuinely caring teachers.
- Infants are our babies from 6 weeks old to under 2 years. And yes, they too have a scheduled day that includes music, movement, language, and activities for cognitive development to grow on. Personal schedules and routines are created under parental guidance. Food, sleep, diaper changing and much more are individualized. Daily reports are sent home. A baby's needs for gentleness, love, comfort, trust, and quality relationship with caregivers remain paramount concerns throughout each and every day!
Profile last updated: 02/02/2016
- School Location Miles Grades Students
SmithtownGrades: PK-6 | 280 students
211 Brooksite Drive
Smithtown, NY 11787
Lake GroveGrades: PK-3 | 28 students
821 Hawkins Ave
Lake Grove, NY 11755
CenterportGrades: PK-6 | 135 students
Po Box 628
Centerport, NY 11721
PatchogueGrades: PK-8 | 93 students
179 E Main Street
Patchogue, NY 11772
Stony BrookGrades: K-12
1266 N Country Rd
Stony Brook, NY 11790
Laurel Hill School has been, and continues to be, a great fit for our family. The caring teachers and administration help all of the students learn how to achieve their own highest academic performance. The school produces well rounded students with critical thinking, writing, mathematics, foreign language and creative arts as part of every grade's curriculum. Every grade employs a small-class size, close student/teacher interaction, individualized studies and independent learning. There are opportunities such as micro-society, the mentor program and teaching to the student's academic level which can not be found elsewhere. All of this in a neighborhood school with an excellent learning environment free from bullying.
- Posted by Parent - k_bfo
January 11, 2017
Letters of interest and cover letters are frequently used interchangeably even though they have different purposes.
January 03, 2017
When you visit schools, please don't make the following common mistakes. A little thought and preparation will help you make the best impression possible.
December 21, 2016
Bullying has gone electronic. It's called cyberbullying and it is rampant.