Grades: 9-12 | 306 students
The academic environment at Madeira is driven by curiosity and passion for not just acquiring knowledge, but for applying it
Capitol Hill internships in the offices of senators and representatives are a hallmark of the junior year at Madeira
The Smithsonian Natural History Museum is just one of 300 internship placements available to seniors through Madeira's award winning Co-Curriculum program
Madeira is an independent boarding and day school educating 320 girls in grades 9 through 12.
Our 376-acre campus is located 15 minutes from Washington, D.C. in McLean, Virginia.
Madeira’s challenging academic programs and experiential learning opportunities, like the award winning Co-Curriculum program, cultivate women leaders who are ready to make positive impacts in their local and global communities.
|School Membership(s)School Assoc.||National Coalition of Girls
National Association of Independent Schools (NAIS)
The Association of Boarding Schools (TABS)
Virginia Association of Independent Schools (VAIS)
|Grades Offered||Grades 9-12|
|Learning Difference Programs||Yes|
|Total Students||306 students|
|Student Body Type||All-girls|
|% Students of Color||
State avg.: 26%
|Students by Grade|
Academics and Faculty
|Total Classroom Teachers||37 teachers|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||9:1
National avg.: 13:1
|% Faculty w/Advanced Degree||
|Average Class Size||12 students|
|Number of AP Courses||18 courses|
|List of Courses Offered||Link to List of Courses|
|Advanced Courses||Art History, Biology, Calculus AB, Calculus BC, Chemistry, Comparative Government & Politics, English Language, English Literature, French Language, French Literature, Latin Literature, Latin: Vergil, Physics B, S Government & Politics, Spanish Language, Spanish Literature, US History|
|Average SAT score||1945|
|Matriculation DataMatric. Data||Link to Matriculation Data|
|Classroom Dress Code||Casual|
Finances and Admission
|Admission Deadline||Jan. 31 / rolling|
|Tuition Notes||$52,710 for Boarding $39,830 Day School Tuition|
|% on Financial Aid||
|Average Financial Aid Grant||$33,964|
|Admissions Director||Ann Miller|
|Admissions Associate||John Bonhom|
|Total Sports Offered||13 sports|
|Sports||Basketball, Cross Country, Diving, Equestrian, Field Hockey, Lacrosse, Soccer, Softball, Squash, Swimming, Tennis, Track and Field, VolleyballBasketball, Cross Country,
Field Hockey, Lacrosse,
Tennis, Track and Field,
|Total ExtracurricularsTotal Extra-curric.||7 extracurriculars|
|ExtracurricularsExtra-curric.||60+ Clubs, A Capella and Glee Groups, Chamber Orchestra, Dance, Karate, Technical Theater, Theater 60+ Clubs, Dance, Karate, Theater, A Capella and Glee Groups,
- Madeira’s curriculum is grounded in expert teaching and active involvement of the students when planning their academic paths. Personal academic advising enables girls to customize a schedule beyond graduation requirements, offering them the highest degree of challenge that best suits their interests. From AP Art History to iPad App Development, students may take advantage of the many upper-level courses offered.
- The innovative Co-Curriculum program at Madeira integrates
experiential learning with the cultural, political, and business
life of the nation’s capital. Every Wednesday, girls learn
from real-world experience, graduating with a solid resume that
rivals that of college students. The unique grade-level objectives
of the Co-Curriculum program progress from learning about identity
and community during freshman and sophomore years to experiencing
“real-life work” and leadership training during
junior-year internships in Capitol Hill offices and
student-selected internships during the girls’ senior
Madeira has 13 inter-scholastic sports, including an equestrian team, as well as instruction in music, dance, film, visual and performing arts, which give students competitive and creative outlets.
- The campus, which overlooks the Potomac River from 376 scenic acres, is a place for study, play, and competition, home to superior academic, athletic, riding, and arts facilities. Sports facilities include a 32,000 square foot sports center with basketball and volleyball courts, indoor competition size pool, dance/aerobic studio, and strength and conditioning room. There are also eight hard-surface tennis courts, three playing fields, 49 stall barn, indoor riding arena, and extensive riding and hiking trails. The arts facilities includes a 500 seat proscenium theater, drama rehearsal space, scene shop, dance studios, private vocal and instrumental studios, and an art gallery.
- With Washington, D.C. is 15 minutes away, students take advantage of shopping in Georgetown, movies at Tysons Corner, and dim sum in Chinatown. The 20 other independent boarding and day schools (including all-boys and co-ed schools) nearby provide plenty of social opportunities on the weekends.
Profile last updated: 06/10/2016
- School Location Miles Grades Students
OaktonGrades: PK-12 | 998 students
3320 Jermantown Road
Oakton, VA 22124
BethesdaGrades: 3-12 | 664 students
7303 River Road
Bethesda, MD 20817
Mc LeanGrades: K-12 | 1039 students
1301 Potomac School Rd
Mc Lean, VA 22101
MiddleburgGrades: 9-12 | 165 students
Po Box 5555
Middleburg, VA 20118
Mc LeanGrades: 6-12 | 184 students
850 Balls Hill Road
Mc Lean, VA 22101
January 11, 2017
Letters of interest and cover letters are frequently used interchangeably even though they have different purposes.
January 03, 2017
When you visit schools, please don't make the following common mistakes. A little thought and preparation will help you make the best impression possible.
December 21, 2016
Bullying has gone electronic. It's called cyberbullying and it is rampant.