Grades: NS-8 | 98 students
- A child's Mead experience is unlike any other.
- Mead encourages children to take risks, to explore beyond what they believed was possible, to fearlessly engage in the unknown to discover something new about the world, and about themselves. Mead's unique two-teacher system helps each child become a passionate learner and a confident achiever.
- At Mead, expect your child to develop new academic muscles, a tireless curiosity, the courage to question and the skills required to be extraordinary.
- Our attention to deep learning, rich, challenging experiences, and personal development has helped us set the standard in education for over 40 years.
|School Type||Alternative School|
|School Membership(s)School Assoc.||National Association of Independent Schools (NAIS)
State or regional independent school association
|Grades Offered||Grades Nursery/Preschool-8|
|Total Students||98 students|
|Student Body Type||Co-ed|
|% Students of Color||
State avg.: 22%
|Students by Grade|
Academics and Faculty
|Total Classroom Teachers||22 teachers|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||5:1
National avg.: 13:1
|% Faculty w/Advanced Degree||
|Average Class Size||6 students|
|Classroom Dress Code||Casual|
Finances and Admission
|Admission Deadline||None / Rolling|
|Tuition Notes||Tuition Range: 15,826-$37,995|
|% on Financial Aid||
|Admissions Director||Joanne Costello|
|Total Sports Offered||3 sports|
|Sports||Baseball, Basketball, SoccerBaseball, Basketball,
|Total ExtracurricularsTotal Extra-curric.||12 extracurriculars|
|ExtracurricularsExtra-curric.||Baseball, Ceramics, Chess, Cooking, Creative Writing, Flag Football, Floor Hockey, Gymnastics, Improv Theatre, Nature & Zoology, Soccer, Tennis Baseball, Ceramics, Chess, Cooking, Flag Football, Floor Hockey, Gymnastics, Improv Theatre, Soccer, Tennis, Creative Writing,
Nature & Zoology,
- Founded in 1969, Mead is a progressive school committed to setting the standard in education for children from 2-years old to eighth grade. Our mission is to inspire and challenge students to achieve deep learning and become independent, creative thinkers. The Mead School cultivates in children the skills and values they need for emotionally, socially and intellectually fulfilling lives.
- Exceptional Teachers: Our dynamic teachers are the foundation of our approach. By developing a strong relationship with each child, teachers discover their students` individual strengths, talents and challenges. Teachers work collaboratively with students, tapping into their unique insights and passions, to guide them to their full potential. Ultimately, our goal is to have students take the lead in their own learning.
- Two-Teacher System: Each class has a Home Center that is led by a Home Center Director (HCD) - a teacher who is dedicated to the academic, emotional and social development of each child. The role of the HCD is to continually assess each student`s physical, social and emotional well-being and to guide students through challenges and opportunities as they arise. The HCDs work in partnership with our teachers, the Curriculum Directors (CDs). They are experts in specific subjects, such as language arts, math, early childhood development, Spanish, music and drama.CDs take an innovative, personalized approach to teaching. They design their curriculum to engage students on a more meaningful level by presenting the material in fresh and interesting ways. Mead students don`t simply learn facts and figures, they are challenged to think deeply about a subject and understand it from many different perspectives. The result is motivated students who love to learn.
- Our Approach: Our school celebrates academic excellence and personal achievement within an atmosphere of respect. The Mead School cultivates in children the skills and values they will need for emotionally, socially, and intellectually fulfilling lives. Our approach is built upon cognitive and developmental research that shows that individualized, experiential learning provides the most rewarding education for children. The expressive arts are key to our approach. We integrate the expressive arts and academics to create a classroom environment alive with excitement and curiosity, one that encourages profound learning by exposing students to different perspectives and fresh ways of applying their knowledge.
- Inclusive & Respectful Community: Our children are part of a culture that honors their perspective and challenges them to understand the experiences and lives of others. We provide a diversity of perspectives because understanding similarities and differences is critical in becoming a reflective, thoughtful member of society.
- School Location Miles Grades Students
GreenwichGrades: PK-9 | 864 students
Po Box 623
Greenwich, CT 06836
StamfordGrades: NS-4 | 50 students
2810 Long Ridge Road
Stamford, CT 06903
StamfordGrades: PK-12 | 664 students
1450 Newfield Ave
Stamford, CT 06905
GreenwichGrades: NS-8 | 432 students
969 Lake Avenue
Greenwich, CT 06831
KatonahGrades: 6-12 | 355 students
260 Jay St
Katonah, NY 10536
February 11, 2017
Let's think about the employment process from the point of view of your making me want to hire you. Here are some points to ponder.
February 10, 2017
It is easy to fall into the trap of not keeping your skill-set current. There's no time and no need anyway. We look at why you need to keep things current and offer some suggestions as to how to proceed.
February 10, 2017
The only way private schools can build their financial security is through gifts. Major gifts offer proof of how deeply many donors feel about their private schools. Their munificence is a wonderful example to others.