Grades: PK-8 | 57 students
As part of a unit on ancient civilizations, middle schoolers help first graders bake biscuits based on a 3,700-year-old Mesopotamian recipe.
Middle schoolers are held to a high standard of academic achievement to pave the way for a successful transition to high school. Low student/teacher ratios ensure students get the support they need.
Kindergarten teacher and student practice counting using an abacus. Manipulatives are central in teaching beginning math at TNCA.
The New Classical Academy offers a classical education in a hands-on environment; our students master concept as well as content, develop the internal motivation to become lifelong learners, discover the value of intellectual and social collaboration, and enjoy coming to school every day.
|School Type||Alternative School|
|Grades Offered||Grades Prekindergarten-8|
|Total Students||57 students|
|Student Body Type||Co-ed|
|% Students of Color||
State avg.: 18%
|Students by Grade|
Academics and Faculty
|Total Classroom Teachers||8 teachers|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||8:1
National avg.: 13:1
|% Faculty w/Advanced Degree||
|Average Class Size||12 students|
Finances and Admission
|Admission Deadline||None / Rolling|
|Yearly Tuition Cost||$8,300|
|% on Financial Aid||
National avg.: 85%
|Admissions Director||Andy Cross|
|Total Sports Offered||3 sports|
|Sports||Basketball, Flag Football, SoccerBasketball, Flag Football,
- Inside our multi-age classrooms, students work at their own pace, with the one-on-one support they need from teachers to meet age-appropriate standards, and the freedom to further pursue the topics that most engage them.
- Self-directed study is balanced with small group work and instruction as well as experiential activities, both within each classroom and school-wide, that help bring the curriculum to life: science experiments, theater, art projects, crafts, music, math games, and more.
- We spend at least a full hour outside every day for lunch and fun, and provide many additional opportunities for fresh air and creative play.
- Our presentation of the material is shaped by the classical concept of the “trivium”: three progressive stages of learning that mirror and leverage children’s natural cognitive development in order to cultivate academic growth. The trivium gives students first the knowledge, then the understanding, and finally the creativity to approach each subject in the fullest way.
Profile last updated: 07/16/2015
- School Location Miles Grades Students
HendersonvilleGrades: PK-12 | 61 students
802 S Grove St A
Hendersonville, NC 28792
Black MountainGrades: K-8 | 74 students
Po Box 1143
Black Mountain, NC 28711
AshevilleGrades: PK-8 | 155 students
574 Haywood Road
Asheville, NC 28806
AshevilleGrades: 9-12 | 287 students
360 Asheville School Road
Asheville, NC 28806