Grades: PK-8 | 168 students
Trinity students attend Chapel each Wednesday morning, where birthdays are celebrated and Values of the Month are highlighted.
Trinity's renovated gymnasium hosts physical education classes, as well as a variety of sports teams.
Trinity's 21st-century learning lab allows students to take electives like Digital Storytelling. Other electives include Lego Robotics, Movie Making 101, Outdoor Education, Martial Arts, Band, Chorus, World Drumming, Personal Finance, Art, Bowling, Yearbook, and more.
Trinity's Outdoor Education elective is a long-standing tradition which offers students the chance to canoe and kayak, camp, hike, bike, and more -- all while learning to sustain and care for the world around us.
Overlooking the James River in the Huntington Heights Historic District of Newport News, Trinity Lutheran School is a socially, economically, and racially diverse co-educational day school serving students ages three through grade 8.
Currently the only private school in Hampton Roads bearing the distinction of being an authorized International Baccalaureate World School, Trinity offers the International Baccalaureate Primary Years Programme (IBPYP).A Trinity education emphasizes the lifelong learning process, the development of the whole child, and the growth of worldwide intercultural awareness and understanding, all within the framework provided by a values-based moral compass.
|School Membership(s)School Assoc.||Other school association(s)
International Baccalaureate (IB) World School
|Religious Affiliation||Evangelical Lutheran Church in America (formerly AELC, ALC, or LCA)|
|Grades Offered||Grades Prekindergarten-8|
|Awards||Blue Ribbon School - Selected in 2015|
|Total Students||168 students|
|Student Body Type||Co-ed|
|% Students of Color||
State avg.: 26%
|Students by Grade|
Academics and Faculty
|Total Classroom Teachers||16 teachers|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||9:1
National avg.: 13:1
|% Faculty w/Advanced Degree||
|Classroom Dress Code||Casual
Finances and Admission
|Admission Deadline||None / Rolling|
|Yearly Tuition Cost||$7,075|
|Tuition Notes||Preschool - $3975 K - $6425 1st-5th - $7075 6th-8th - $7675 Payment plans available.|
|Admissions Director||Lynne Fritzinger, Head of School|
|Admissions Associate||Crystal Phillips|
|Total Sports Offered||8 sports|
|Sports||Baseball, Basketball, Cross Country, Fencing, Mountain Biking, Mountaineering, Soccer, VolleyballBaseball, Basketball,
Cross Country, Fencing,
Mountain Biking, Mountaineering,
|Total ExtracurricularsTotal Extra-curric.||4 extracurriculars|
|ExtracurricularsExtra-curric.||SCA, NJHS, Honor Council, Safety Patrol SCA, NJHS, Honor Council, Safety Patrol,|
- We are so happy that you have an interest in Trinity Lutheran School. We feel that our school offers the best program in Hampton Roads for young people in Preschool to Grade 8. Our recent authorization in International Baccalaureate Primary Years Programme (IBPYP), our work with Preschool Partners, our candidacy with AdvancED (the world’s largest educational accreditation organization), our affiliation with Global Learning and Observation to Benefit the Environment (GLOBE), our work in becoming a Science, Technology, Engineering and Math (STEM) school and our brain-based approaches to learning all demonstrate that our school is at the forefront in providing rigorous, values-driven approaches to educate young people and to personalize their learning. Many distinctions can be found at Trinity Lutheran School which set us apart from other schools in the area.
- Our International Baccalaureate Primary Years Programme (IBPYP) authorization affords young people the ability to develop “international-mindedness.” With technology of today, the barriers that once secluded one country from other areas of the world have been lifted. Our young people must be able to understand the dynamics of other countries and the impact on their own lives. The IBPYP provides this platform. It is also designed to take learners into and beyond all realms that spell success: critical thinking, problem solving, producing and creating, humanitarianism, and leadership.
- The AdvancED accreditation, which we are currently working to attain, will also bring our school in line internationally. AdvancEd serves colleges and schools in over 65 countries and across the United States. Its focus on education and achievement provides the perfect platform to show the successes of our young people. The GLOBE Program recently recognized Trinity Lutheran School’s approach to science instruction, and we hope to continue this success in the future. Our current 4-Star rating from Preschool Partners also shows our commitment to the individual and diverse talents, developmental needs, and unique characteristics that make each young person quite special at Trinity Lutheran School.
- For over 50 years, Trinity Lutheran School has been educating children. This longevity demonstrates that we are a school that is truly committed to the education of young people and making a difference in the world. We are quite proud of our school, and we invite you to come and see firsthand our wonderful school’s accomplishments and dreams for the future. We are dedicated to our noble work of “Building Foundations for Life.”
Profile last updated: 10/19/2015
Nearby Private Schools:
- School Location Miles Grades Students
Newport NewsGrades: PK-KG | 50 students
9288 Warwick Blvd
Newport News, VA 23607
Newport NewsGrades: PK-1 | 28 students
1116 Briarfield Rd
Newport News, VA 23605
Newport NewsGrades: PK-5 | 101 students
45 Main Street
Newport News, VA 23601
HamptonGrades: NS-6 | 103 students
403 Whealton Rd.
Hampton, VA 23666
Newport NewsGrades: K-5 | 39 students
3509 Chestnut Ave
Newport News, VA 23607
Rental Market Monitor
January 25, 2016
This is a very practical list of things you must do before you graduate. The items on this list will enhance your college applications.
January 08, 2016
Here are my picks for 'must have' web sites when it comes to finding out about private K-12 schools.
January 05, 2016
Many parents search for an answer to the question "How do I provide the kind of religious education I want for my child?" Religious education is a very personal, subjective matter. We explore some of your options.