- Located in Grosse Pointe Woods, a short drive from the bustle of downtown Detroit, University Liggett School is a nationally recognized, experiential learning-based private school for children from prekindergarten (age 3) through 12th grade.
- With our unique Curriculum for Understanding, students become active participants in their learning experience.
- They discover their passions.
- They uncover questions.
- They propose answers.
- And, in doing so, they turn information into understanding.
|School Membership(s)School Assoc.||National Association of Independent Schools (NAIS)
Independent Schools Association of the Central States
|Grades Offered||Grades Prekindergarten-12|
|Total Students||603 students|
|Student Body Type||Co-ed|
|% Students of Color||
State avg.: 17%
|Students by Grade|
Academics and Faculty
|Total Classroom Teachers||83 teachers|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||7:1
National avg.: 13:1
|% Faculty w/Advanced Degree||
|Average Class Size||14 students|
|List of Courses Offered||Link to List of Courses|
|Advanced Courses||Latin literature, French, Spanish, Biology, Chemistry, Physics, Calculus, U.S. History, World History, American Government and Politics, Comparative Politics, Music Theory, Studio Art, Art History, English Literature|
|Average ACT score||25|
|Matriculation DataMatric. Data||Link to Matriculation Data|
|Classroom Dress Code||Casual
(khaki pants and polo or dress shirts. No jeans.)
Finances and Admission
|Admission Deadline||None / Rolling|
|Yearly Tuition Cost||$25,000|
|Tuition Notes||Tuition ranges from $15,000 to $25,000 depending on level. Prekindergarten fees depend on several factors. Call for information.|
|% on Financial Aid||
|Admissions Director||Anne Frame Sheppard|
|Admissions Associate||Denise Deane|
|Total Sports Offered||13 sports|
|Sports||Baseball, Basketball, Cross Country, Field Hockey, Football, Golf, Ice Hockey, Lacrosse, Soccer, Softball, Swimming, Tennis, VolleyballBaseball, Basketball,
Cross Country, Field Hockey,
Ice Hockey, Lacrosse,
- Limited class sizes and challenging academics shape students, giving them a keen sense of self while simultaneously fostering lifelong appreciation for and an understanding of learning.The Liggett instructional method is based on critical thinking, creativity, teamwork, adaptability and universalism. These foundational characteristics are woven in at all levels of instruction and in all academic areas, including reading and writing, mathematics, science, technology and affective and emotional intelligence.Liggett’s education model encompasses three phases: Elements (Pre-K – Grade 5), Foundations (Grade 6 – Grade 10), and Horizons (Grade 11 – Grade 12). Each phase builds upon the previous one. The result is a well-rounded student, prepared for further education and a fulfilling life.Every one of Liggett’s graduates goes to college – many to their first choice and many to highly selective institutions, where many follow an academic passion first discovered as a Liggett student.
Profile last updated: 08/25/2015
- School Location Miles Grades Students
FranklinGrades: PK-12 | 1522 students
22305 W Thirteen Mile Road
Franklin, MI 48025
DetroitGrades: 7-12 | 876 students
8400 S Cambridge Avenue
Detroit, MI 48221
WarrenGrades: 9-12 | 776 students
14600 Common Road
Warren, MI 48088
Bloomfield HillsGrades: PK-12 | 462 students
1250 Kensington Rd
Bloomfield Hills, MI 48304
Madison HeightsGrades: 9-12
32000 Campbell Road
Madison Heights, MI 48071