Grades: PK-9 | 151 students
Upland began the first international exchange program at the middle school level in the country. Each year, two or more students from Turku, Finland spend their ninth grade year at Upland and Upland 8th and 9th graders travel to Finland and Germany or England to play hockey or lacrosse, experience the culture and take part in a tradition that dates back more than 35 years.
- Upland Country Day School`s mission is to develop independent and lifelong learners.
- We want our students to be courageous, to be conscious and engaged learners, to appreciate the uniqueness of self and others, to be good citizens, and to demonstrate outstanding communication skills.
- Our academic program, enhanced by The Harkness Method, our Kleberg IDEA Center, Singapore Math, state-of-the-art technology, the arts, and athletics, is designed to promote the intellectual, moral, and physical potential of each child.
- Since 1948, Upland has endeavored to create a nurturing environment with small classes and a dedicated faculty who care deeply about children.
- We want our our students to find joy in their learning, while maximizing their potential in the classroom, on the stage, in the studio or on the field of play.
- All members of our school community - from faculty and administration to parents and students - work together to support the exciting things that happen here every day.
- But it is to Upland's future that we look with an eager eye. We have adopted schoolwide innovations to promote student engagement, such as the Harkness Method of teaching, our new IDEA Center (Innovation, Discovery, Engineering and Art), flexible seating, cross-curricular collaboration, and Singapore math. Our small size allows us to embrace the latest research in teaching and learning to innovate our program and benefit our students.
- We are also attempting to combat the declining quality of interpersonal communication by ensuring that every graduate leaves here with outstanding communication skills that they can translate to the modern world.
- For 68 years Upland has been known throughout Chester County as a small school with big ideas about education.
- But we would like to ask: Have you heard about Upland lately? Come and see what all the buzz is about!.
|School Membership(s)School Assoc.||National Association of Independent Schools (NAIS)
Pennsylvania Association of Independent Schools (PAIS)
Delaware Association of Independent Schools
Association of Delaware Valley Independent Schools
|Grades Offered||Grades Prekindergarten-9|
|Total Students||151 students|
|Student Body Type||Co-ed|
|% Students of Color||
State avg.: 22%
|Students by Grade|
Academics and Faculty
|Total Classroom Teachers||28 teachers|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||6:1
National avg.: 13:1
|% Faculty w/Advanced Degree||
|Average Class Size||12 students|
|Classroom Dress Code||Casual
(dress pants/skirts, collared shirts)
Finances and Admission
|Admission Deadline||None / Rolling|
|Tuition Notes||$8,800 (PK) to $24,750 (Gr. 9)|
|% on Financial Aid||
|Average Financial Aid Grant||$12,750|
|Admissions Director||Patrick Manahan|
|Total Sports Offered||5 sports|
|Sports||Field Hockey, Ice Hockey, Lacrosse, Soccer, Winter TrackField Hockey, Ice Hockey,
|Total ExtracurricularsTotal Extra-curric.||11 extracurriculars|
|ExtracurricularsExtra-curric.||Art, Art Studio, Chorus, Drama Productions, Film, Instrumental Music, Peer Mentoring, Robotics, Student Council, Vocal Ensemble, Yearbook Art, Art Studio, Chorus, Film, Peer Mentoring, Robotics, Vocal Ensemble, Yearbook, Drama Productions,
- Small classes, a solid curriculum, strong test scores, highly credentialed teachers- You expect these things from any good school. But at Upland Country Day, you should expect much more for your child. You should expect her to be known as an individual and valued as a member of a dynamic school community. You should expect him to be surrounded with a wealth of artistic, athletic, and character building opportunities so he discovers his own strengths and his own path. You should expect to be surprised how comfortable and confident she is and how easy it is for her to take risks and try things she never thought she would try. You should expect him to gain an appreciation and understanding of his world locally and globally. And, you should expect her to become not just her smartest self, but also her best self. When your child leaves here, he or she will be ready for anything. That`s what you should expect from Upland Country Day School.
Upland is really an amazing school. My kids moved over from the local public school this year and it has been the best decision we have ever made. My daughter was shy and intimidated to try sports or anything out of her comfort zone. The teachers and the school community were so welcoming and encouraging -- This year she sang a solo in the the holiday show, played (and loved) field hockey, ice hockey and lacrosse and has become confident in herself as a young woman. My son thought of himself as an athlete, and academics and the arts were just not cool for a middle schooler. With Upland's full participation program, he discovered that he was more than an athlete, though he is still excelling in sports. He found an interest in and talent for art and, because of the encouragement of his outstanding teachers, he enjoys school and even made the honor roll for the first time. I am so proud of and happy about the growth and confidence in my children because of their Upland experience!
- Posted by Parent - hyzny
We have one graduate and one current Upper School student. Upland's 4 A's (Attitude, Academics, Arts & Athletics) is a well-rounded program which gives students the opportunity to experience and excel in areas which they might not otherwise attempt in a larger public school. Both our children discovered their strengths, talents and interests from trying new things, both in and out of the classroom at Upland Country Day School. Our graduate was confident in moving on to 10th grade & college and we continue to see our Upper School student becoming a mature leader in school. Would highly recommend the school for its supportive, creative and engaging teachers and the strong sense of community.
- Posted by Parent - vhorn
I feel indebted to Upland Country Day School for the education both my son (attended grade 4-9) and my daughter (K-9) received. They both learned solid study habits, reinforced with academic excellence which gave them the opportunity to attend excellent prep schools (St. Andrews in DE and Pingree in MA) with confidence and success. Additionally, they were able to pursue sports and arts in a fun, learning school community. My daughter's favorite sport was ice hockey and she has continued to play in her new school thanks to Uplands excellent start. The faculty, facility and community make Upland a wonderful place to be!
- Posted by Parent - kande
Upland has done an amazing job for all 4 of my children, who are each very different learners and personalities. My oldest two children have graduated, and they were able to dictate where they went on to high school as they were so well prepared. My younger two are still at Upland and loving it. It is challenging and nurturing and the faculty is completely committed. Great campus, too!
- Posted by Parent - ddama
I have put 2 kids through Upland Country Day School and presently have my 3 and last child enrolled. We are very happy with the school and highly recommend it. I love the small class sizes and the personel attention my kids recieved. The parent community are involved and the teacher care for the school and the kids. Best kept secret for the value paid.All the kids get involved with sports and the arts. I watched my shy daughter blossem out of that mold due to 100%of student participation.
- Posted by Parent - louki
Upland Country Day School is more than just a school. It is a wonderful community of warm and loving faculty, students and families. We recently transferred here from a large public school and have been blown away by the changes we have seen in our daughters. My "artist" is loving and embracing sports. My "I hate school" kid is up, dressed and excited to get out the door to Upland. The campus is beautiful. The teachers are friendly, enthusiastic and accessible. The parents are welcoming and kind. Yoga in the classrooms, sports, arts & academics...Upland is cultivating not just awesome students but well-adjusted, balanced citizens. We love it here!!
- Posted by Parent - TheYi
To this day, my favorite teachers still reside at Upland. I attended from K through 9, and I cannot speak highly enough about the people at Upland who helped mold me into a successful graduate. They were sensitive to my learning style, they took a vested interest in my success, they challenged me to try new things, and they have always enthusiastically supported my life after graduation. It is a special place, and one where I love to return each and every year to say "thank you".
- Posted by Student/Alumni - patri
February 11, 2017
Let's think about the employment process from the point of view of your making me want to hire you. Here are some points to ponder.
February 10, 2017
It is easy to fall into the trap of not keeping your skill-set current. There's no time and no need anyway. We look at why you need to keep things current and offer some suggestions as to how to proceed.
February 10, 2017
The only way private schools can build their financial security is through gifts. Major gifts offer proof of how deeply many donors feel about their private schools. Their munificence is a wonderful example to others.