- West Sound Academy: an International Baccalaureate World School offering a college preparatory curriculum for grades 6-12 on the Kitsap Peninsula in Poulsbo, Washington. West Sound Academy transforms the lives of students by respecting and supporting the individual, preparing them for college and life beyond through superior teaching, excellent curriculum, and high expectations, and providing a safe community in an inspirational setting in which to grow and learn.
- The West Sound Academy campus resides on twenty pastoral acres overlooking Liberty Bay in Poulsbo, Washington.
- With views of the Olympic Mountains, our four modern buildings have state of the art science labs, a technology center, dance, drama and music studios, a library and seminar rooms.
- Outside there are sports fields, a picnic area and an outdoor amphitheater, all set amidst old fir and cedar trees.
- It is an ideal setting for students to learn and explore. Small classes ensure individual attention to students.
- The average class size is 11, with classes ranging from 7 students to 20 students. Since our first commencement in 2002, WSA graduates have been accepted to over 170 colleges and universities.
- These include some of the most selective schools and programs: American University of Paris, Mount Holyoke College, Pomona College, Reed College, Savannah College of Art and Design,University of California-Santa Cruz, University of Portland, University of Puget Sound, University of Washington, University of Wisconsin-Madison, Whitman College, and Willamette University.
|School Membership(s)School Assoc.||Other school association(s)
International Baccalaureate (IB) World School
|Grades Offered||Grades 6-12|
|Total Students||91 students|
|Student Body Type||Co-ed|
|% Students of Color||
State avg.: 27%
|Students by Grade|
Academics and Faculty
|Total Classroom Teachers||17 teachers|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||6:1
National avg.: 13:1
|% Faculty w/Advanced Degree||
|Average Class Size||11 students|
|Number of AP Courses||1 courses|
|List of Courses Offered||Link to List of Courses|
|Advanced Courses||AP Calculus AB, IB Biology HL/SL (Group 4), IB Chemistry HL/SL (Group 4), IB English (Group 2), IB French HL/SL (Group 2), IB Language and Literature in English HL/SL, IB Mathematical Studies (Group 5), IB Mathematics HL/SL (Group 5), IB Spanish HL/SL (Group 2), IB Theatre HL/SL, IB Visual Arts (Group 6), IB War & Peace in the 20th Century (Group 3),|
|Average SAT score||1822|
|Average ACT score||26|
|Matriculation DataMatric. Data||Link to Matriculation Data|
|Classroom Dress Code||Casual|
Finances and Admission
|Admission Deadline||Mar. 15|
|Yearly Tuition Cost||$16,120|
|Tuition Notes||$15,711 for Domestic Middle School and $17,356 for Upper School|
|% on Financial Aid||
National avg.: 85%
|Admissions Director||Lisa Gsellman|
|Admissions Associate||Susan Trower|
|Total Sports Offered||4 sports|
|Sports||Bowling, Dance, Kayaking, Rock ClimbingBowling, Dance,
Kayaking, Rock Climbing,
|Total ExtracurricularsTotal Extra-curric.||10 extracurriculars|
|ExtracurricularsExtra-curric.||Crafting Club, Debate Club, Kayak Club, Knowledge Bowl, Literary Journal, Middle School Math Club, Middle School National History Bowl, Rock Climbing Club, Upper School National History Bowl, Yearbook Crafting Club, Debate Club, Kayak Club, Knowledge Bowl, Yearbook, Literary Journal,
Middle School Math Club,
Middle School National History Bowl,
Rock Climbing Club,
Upper School National History Bowl,
- Mission - West Sound Academy is a college preparatory school that graduates accomplished, creative, intellectually curious young adults prepared to contribute responsibly to the world.
- Type of School - West Sound Academy is an independent college preparatory school serving students in grades six through twelve. The International Baccalaureate Diploma Programme is offered for students in grades 11 and 12.
- Location and Campus - West Sound Academy is located on a wooded, twenty-acre campus overlooking Liberty Bay in Poulsbo, Washington.The school's four buildings include classrooms, a library, a technology center, three science labs, four teaching studios (art, theatre, dance, and music), an art gallery, and a Commons.The outdoor setting and the magnificent views of the Olympic Mountains inspire students and staff. Outdoor facilities include an amphitheater, a playfield, and a sports court.
- Accreditation - IB World School, authorized to offer the International Baccalaureate Diploma Programme; Northwest Accreditation Commission (NWAC), and Subscriber School, Northwest Association of Independent Schools.
- Admissions - West Sound Academy admits students of any race, color, or national or ethnic origin. Qualified students are those who have sound academic records, a sense of individuality, are motivated toward discovery, demonstrate integrity, and have an abiding interest in their world.
- Students - West Sound Academy students typically come from all parts of the Kitsap Peninsula and Bainbridge Island, as well as from eastern Jefferson County. In line with our mission, approximately 20% of our student body is comprised of international students. West Sound Academy is a diverse community that affirms and values people's differences. We have a multiplicity of backgrounds and perspectives within our school family, and mutual appreciation and respect is encouraged in our students.
- Class Size - Class sizes vary according to grade level and course, but are always designed to insure individual attention to students. Average class size is 11, with classes ranging from 7 students to 18 students. Student to teacher ratio: 7 to 1.
- Faculty - West Sound Academy's faculty is comprised of seventeen full- and part-time teachers, with an administrative and support staff of seven. The Academy's enthusiastic faculty of talented professionals fosters curiosity and discovery and stress critical thinking and clear communication.
- Curriculum - Providing a rigorous
academic and art curriculum to prepare students for college, West
Sound Academy is an IB World School, authorized to deliver
the International Baccalaureate Degree Programme (IBDP) for
students in Grades 11-12. The curriculum for Grades 6- 9 is
centered on a pre-IBDP course of study, while Grades 10-12 have a
selection of challenging college preparatory courses in the six
academic areas of the Diploma Programme.
The curriculum stresses critical and disciplined thinking, effective communication and scientific analysis, and creative problem solving. Skills introduced and reinforced in the classroom, including critical reading, critical writing, and document analysis and evaluation, will prepare students for the rigors of the Diploma Programme and for success in college after their years at West Sound.
Graduates leave West Sound Academy with the intellectual, personal, emotional and social skills to live, learn and work in a rapidly globalizing world.
- Technology- West Sound Academy`s new Tech Center Classroom will open Fall 2015 providing new learning opportunities in the fields of robotics, programming, 3-D design and graphic design. This supports the new Science, Technology, Engineering, Arts and Math (STEAM) initiative that WSA launched in 2013. The overall objectives of the Tech Center are to practice problem-solving, teamwork, making and programming. West Sound Academy has a Bring Your Own Laptop Computer policy. WSA students learn appropriate use of technology so they can communicate effectively; collect, analyze, process, and present information; as well as master the technical skills necessary to succeed in college and later life.Students are provided Google Apps accounts which include email and other online collaborative tools.To best utilize online resources the school has a state of the art 10 MB+ fiber connection to the Internet with a campus-wide LAN and WiFi service.
- College Placement - 100% of the Class of 2015 admitted to college; average merit scholarship per student applying to American colleges: $148,862.
- Leadership Opportunities - A host of leadership opportunities are available from serving as officers or grade representatives on the WSA Student Council to student leadership in community service, to performing arts, to publications (yearbook and literary journal), to recreational clubs, and more.
- Advocacy Program - A small group of students is paired with a teacher for one or more years. The advocacy groups meet on a weekly basis to discuss important issues and to record reflections on CAS activities completed by the student. The advocate meets with students, teachers and their parents for two formal conferences during the school year and on an as-needed basis. New students and their parents meet with the student`s advocate and teachers for "Get To Know You Conferences" in September.
- Jan-Term: During Jan-Term the normal class schedule is suspended and students study two intensive classes of their choice for three weeks. Examples of Jan-Term offerings include: Money Management, French Language Immersion in France, Spanish Language Immersion in Spain, Rube Goldberg (invention creation), Star Trek`s Influence on Culture, Cajun Culture and Cuisine, Food Art, Craft Creations, Athletic Adventures, Gohn Dagow Martial Arts, Devised Theatre, and Music Ensemble.
- Experiential Education: Fall and Spring Trips take WSA students into real world settings from remote wilderness sites, to scientific retreats, to challenging sporting activities all the while teaching leadership, environmental ethics, and technical skills. These engaging outdoor adventures are opportunities for both environmental education and personal growth.
- Performance Art: Annual school drama productions; presentations by documentary film and music students
- Frodel Gallery: WSA's own gallery hosts work by local professional artists each quarter; artists speak at school assemblies and appear at evening receptions
- School Location Miles Grades Students
BremertonGrades: K-12 | 301 students
4012 Chico Way NW
Bremerton, WA 98312
Port TownsendGrades: K-8 | 45 students
Po Box 1917
Port Townsend, WA 98368
BremertonGrades: 7-12 | 16 students
245 4th St # 303
Bremerton, WA 98337
PoulsboGrades: PK-12 | 485 students
Po Box 2460 705 NE Lincoln
Poulsbo, WA 98370
I am so thankful for West Sound Academy and what it offers my daughter academically socially, and emotionally. Small class sizes, dedicated faculty, community-oriented, IB program allows students to begin college as sophomores (saving parents money), focus on math and science as well as the arts, everything I was looking for in a school and more. I am so impressed with this school, it is worth the tuition (and also offers scholarships & financial aid) and compared to Seattle private schools, it's a bargain for what each student receives. I''m so thankful to have this school in Kitsap County--it's truly filling a need no other schools around are. All classes are AP, and any extra help students need is there as well as a truly supportive faculty and administration. An incredible school for parents who want the best for their kids and for kids who want to do well academically and get a little more advantage when it comes to college and his or her future. Kind smart kids doing good things in the community (and the world), truly makes me thankful for West Sound Academy.
- Posted by Parent - kelli
My sons have both attended West Sound Academy. This school brings to light the true value of learning. That education is the cornerstone in a person's life. The philosophy of creating creative, independent life long learners is seen throughout the entire community. The students are challenged, stretched, and nutured all at the same time. I believe an education from West Sound Academy prepares my child for the future at a level I never imagined was possible when I became a parent. There are caring invested staff. There is a rich international culture. There is a community of students wanting to grow and learn every day. I cannot even beging to put a price on what this school has done for our family.
- Posted by Parent - sarac
We feel extremely fortunate to have found West Sound Academy. Coming from a homeschool environment, the small class sizes and welcoming atmosphere allowed our children to quickly gain confidence and thrive in this challenging academic environment. The faculty and staff are top-notch and truly treat each child as part of their family. More impressive, are the students themselves. They are extremely conscientious, well-rounded, polite, articulate and support each other. I continue to be extremely impressed with West Sound Academy.
- Posted by Parent - usn2k
An absolutely amazing school for 6-12 grade. Academics are a very strong focus as is kindness, community, and compassion. Faculty is incredible. They offer great financial aid (which has been fantastic for us as a middle class family) & WSA is the only IB program around Kitsap. Recommended for smart, motivated students who want to achieve great things in the world and attend college after graduating, and for parents who are disappointed with the local public schools and the "just get by" attitude.
- Posted by Parent - kelli