A Better Chance School/California Autism Foundation
- California Autism Foundation's mission is to provide people with autism and other developmental disabilities the best possible opportunities for lifetime support, training and assistance in helping them reach their highest potential for independence, productivity and fulfillment.
- Our community based education programs at A Better Chance School and ABC Camp provide 35 children with education and activities year round.
|School Type||Special Education School|
|School Membership(s)School Assoc.||California Association of Private Special Education Schools (CAPSES)|
|Grades Offered||Grades Kindergarten-12|
|Offers Post-Graduate Year||Yes|
|Summer School Offered||Yes|
|Total Students||34 students|
|Student Body Type||n/a|
|% Students of Color|
State avg.: 44%
Academics and Faculty
|Total Classroom Teachers||6 teachers|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||6:1|
National avg.: 13:1
|% Faculty w/Advanced Degree|
|Average Class Size||8 students|
|Classroom Dress Code||Casual|
Finances and Admission
|Admission Deadline||None / Rolling|
|Tuition Notes||Paid by school districts|
|Admissions Director||Edith Molinier|
- ABC School is a non-public school that serves children and young adults from ages 6 to 22 that have autism and other developmental disabilities. ABC School offers community-based programming which provide students the opportunity to learn generalized skills that are transferable to daily real world settings in addition to the classroom environment. ABC School`s highly specialized curriculum and highly trained staff, excel in helping students who have been unable to succeed elsewhere. ABC School`s functional skills curriculum includes math, language arts, vocational training, culinary classes, art classes, music classes, travel training and self-help skills. ABC School utilizes Applied Behavior Analysis (ABA), TEACCH structured teaching methodologies, Pivotal Response Training, and Community Based Instruction (CBI). ABC School specializes in behavior management, offering a positive behavior support approach to maladaptive behaviors that prevent the student from being successful in a less restricted environment. Utilizing a team approach, students are regularly assessed to determine skill acquisition and maintenance in accordance with the Individualized Education Plan (IEP) goals. ABC provides 1:2 staff to student support unless otherwise specified in a student`s IEP. Workability vocational training and transition preparation program for students 16 years of age and older is provided. In this comprehensive program, students are assessed to identify areas of strength and employable skills and then matched with an employment opportunity in the local community. Students receive training to include: mock interview trials, job application practice, mobility training with public transportation, budgeting and banking skills, problem solving, and safety skills within the work environment. Additionally, Students receive on the job training through staff assistance and job coaching and bi-weekly paychecks! Some of our current job partners are: Berkeley Repertory TheaterWest CATMaking Waves AcademyPets with Attitude Pet SalonThe Watershed ProjectPoint Isabel Regional Park Graduating students of ABC School receive a Certificate of Completion and will transition from school to adult life with confidence, work skills and community experiences that will promote future success.
- School Location Miles Grades Students
- El Sobrante Grades: PK-8 | 159 students
3800 Clark Road
El Sobrante, CA 94803
(510)222-3297 2.3 PK-8
- San Pablo Grades: K-12 | 37 students
16330 San Pablo Ave
San Pablo, CA 94806
(510)724-4494 0.8 K-12
- El Cerrito Grades: K-8 | 474 students
960 Avis Drive/2060 Tapscott Ave.
El Cerrito, CA 94530
(510)236-5800 5 K-8
- El Sobrante Grades: K-12 | 85 students
431 Rincon Rd
El Sobrante, CA 94803
(510)223-9550 2 K-12
- Pinole Grades: K-8 | 286 students
1961 Plum St
Pinole, CA 94564
(510)724-0242 2.4 K-8
Nearby Homes for Sale
We take a detailed look at the three popular early childhood methods to help you determine which one best suits your needs and requirements.
This article aggregates all the articles I have written about running a small private school. Use it as a handbook and a reminder of things you should look at from time to time.
Ever wish you could pick the brain of A+ students? Well, we did it for you — we spoke with dozens of students and educators to find out their secrets for success.