Tel: (510) 964-7184
Big Minds is an attachment-based, community focused school designed to give twice exceptional (2e) students the time and support necessary to grow into thoughtful, articulate citizens.
Our focus is on socio-emotional development that supports both cognitive and creative growth.
Students and teachers are continually engaged in a passionate, reciprocal learning process. Our academic work is inquiry-based, dynamic, and follows student interests.
|School Type||School with Special Program Emphasis|
|Grades Offered||Grades 1-8|
|Learning Difference Programs||Yes|
|Total Students||32 students|
|Student Body Type||Co-ed|
|% Students of Color|
State avg.: 45%
Academics and Faculty
|Total Classroom Teachers||12 teachers|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||3:1|
National avg.: 13:1
|% Faculty w/Advanced Degree|
|Classroom Dress Code||Casual|
Finances and Admission
|Admission Deadline||None / Rolling|
|Yearly Tuition Cost||$28,500|
|Admissions Associate||Dr. Melanie Hayes|
- Big Minds is designed to specifically support a 2e child`s intense drive to learn, differing levels of ability/asynchronous development, overexcitabilities, need for specific social/emotional support, and desire to belong to a community of true peers. Our goal is to help students develop positive self-efficacy, self-advocacy, and self-directed learning and growth. We welcome all 2e children to apply, but cannot serve students who are physically or verbally aggressive.
Profile last updated:
- School Location Miles Grades Students
- Berkeley Grades: 4-12 | 55 students
41 Bolivar Drive
Berkeley, CA 94710
(510) 649-1177 9.5 4-12
- Berkeley Grades: 5
2855 Telegraph Ave. Suite 312
Berkeley, CA 94705
(510) 845-1321 10.2 5
- El Sobrante Grades: 4-12 | 24 students
1060 Manor Rd
El Sobrante, CA 94803
(510) 300-6350 1.5 4-12
- Richmond Grades: K-8 | 75 students
6226 Arlington Blvd
Richmond, CA 94805
(510) 221-6760 4.3 K-8
- San Pablo Grades: 2-12 | 78 students
4138 Lakeside Dr
San Pablo, CA 94806
(510) 262-1500 2.3 2-12
Choosing a private school is a process with many parts to it. It also takes 18-24 months to complete. This collection of articles deals with the first part of the process in which you begin to look at private schools and what they offer.
Marketing the small private school can be done affordably and effectively. We suggest five easy steps to make that happen.
Solid parent-teacher relationships have always been an important part of K-12 education. During this interminable pandemic, parent-teacher relationships have become even more important.