Chapel Haven Schleifer Center, Inc.
Tel: (203)397-1714 Ext. 148
- Founded in 1972, Chapel Haven Schleifer Center is an award-winning, nationally accredited transitional living program and approved private special education with a mission of teaching adults with cognitive disabilities and social disabilities to live independent and productive lives. Chapel Haven Schleifer Center has grown to serve more than 250 adults (18 years of age and older) in the residence and the community with three distinct programs; REACH, Asperger`s Syndrome Adult Transition (ASAT), and Chapel Haven West (Tucson, AZ). Beginning in 2017, Chapel Haven is underway with a $41.5 million campus expansion at its founding campus in Westville, CT that has delivered a new, four-story REACH residential and classroom campus; a new Welcome Center, and, in 2020, the Schleifer Adult Independent Living (SAIL) center, designed for adults to age in place in a vibrant and non-institutional setting.
- Chapel Haven has also launched the Center for Employment and Service Opportunities (CESO), dedicating to securing meaningful employment and volunteer opportunities for adults.
|School Type||Special Education School|
|Grades Offered||Grades 12|
|Offers Post-Graduate Year||Yes|
|Learning Difference Programs||Yes|
|Total Students||10 students|
|Student Body Type||Co-ed|
|% Students of Color|
State avg.: 22%
|Students by Grade|
Academics and Faculty
|Total Classroom Teachers||10 teachers|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||1:1|
National avg.: 13:1
|% Faculty w/Advanced Degree|
|List of Courses Offered||Link to List of Courses|
|Matriculation DataMatric. Data||Link to Matriculation Data|
|Classroom Dress Code||Casual|
Finances and Admission
|Admission Deadline||None / Rolling|
|Yearly Tuition Cost||$70,000|
|Tuition Notes||Tuitions for our programs vary from $40,000 to $72,400|
|% on Financial Aid|
|Admissions Director||Catherine DeCarlo|
|Endowment Size||$100 million|
|Total Sports Offered||14 sports|
|Sports||Alpine Skiing, Basketball, Bowling, Climbing, Cross Fit, Cycling, Equestrian, Golf, Soccer, Softball, Swimming, Tennis, Track and Field, VolleyballAlpine Skiing, Basketball,|
Cross Fit, Cycling,
Track and Field, Volleyball,
- Chapel Haven offers 3 comprehensive programs:
- REACH (Residential Education at Chapel Haven)1040 Whalley Ave.New Haven, CT 06515www.chapelhaven.orgAdmissions Office: 203-397-1714, Ext. 185Email: email@example.com In the traditional REACH (Residential Education at Chapel Haven) program, based in New Haven, Conn., adults 18+ with mild developmental disabilities and autism live apartment-style in an intensive 24-month Residential Life Skills program on the Chapel Haven campus. They learn to negotiate all aspects of independent living while enjoying a state approved education program and a nationally accredited transitional living program. Upon graduation, 85% of our adults choose to continue living in the Chapel Haven community, and receive continued supports from Chapel Haven.
- Asperger Syndrome Adult Transition Program (ASAT)1040 Whalley Ave.New Haven, CT 06515www.chapelhaven.orgAdmissions Office: 203-397-1714, Ext. 185Email: firstname.lastname@example.org The Asperger Syndrome Adult Transition (ASAT) Program at Chapel Haven is nationally renowned for guiding adults to live independent and productive lives. Chapel Haven`s ASAT Program serves a range of individuals, from those who are 18 and still completing their high school program to older adults who can benefit from our a la carte supports. Our program is highly flexible, caters to each individual`s specific means, and is guided by a curriculum divided into four major domains:Social communicative competency (SCC) learning to maintain relationships, problem-solve social communication breakdowns and consider the perspective of others. Self-determination learning to set goals, regulate emotions, self-advocateIndependent living life skills, apartment living, managing a budget, mobilityCareer and college supports More details on the ASAT program offerings include: Cognitive-Behavioral TherapyCognitive-behavioral therapy (CBT) is a goal-oriented treatment with a practical approach to problem solving. It may be used to help individuals regulate their emotions, develop impulse control or manage anxiety. CBT sessions are offered not only in the clinician`s office, but also, as appropriate, in the settings where challenges are actually occurring. In addition to individual sessions, a number of CBT-based small group classes are offered on a rotating basis. Social CommunicationSocial communication therapy focuses on developing conversational skills, as well as skills related to the nonverbal aspects of communication. This area of support strives to allow students to become more independent and successful in personal relationships, post-secondary education and/or the world of work. The speech-language pathologist provides individual and small group instruction, in addition to intervention infused into community settings. Independent Living Developing and living within a budget, managing medications and medical care, preparing meals, and maintaining an apartment are all skills addressed within our supports for independent living. These supports may be accessed by participants living in the supported apartments on our campus, as well as by those living in their own apartments, college housing, or their families` homes. Employment ServicesThe ASAT program strives to assist participants in finding a career path that is not only a vehicle for employment, but also for an increased quality of life. Classes, workshops, career counseling, interview prep, internships, job shadowing and placement assistance are among the many facets of this vital and multi-dimensional component of our programming. College Supports Chapel Haven`s ASAT Program is highly skilled in facilitating college success. On and off campus supports are offered to help students to navigate both the academic and non-academic aspects of college life. Chapel Haven also offers a supported housing option to college students who benefit from a higher level of residential structure and supervision. Adult Education ClassesAdult education classes on a wide range of topics, such as budgeting, cooking, art, job search skills and dating/sexuality are held on a rotating basis. These classes are generally held weekly for a 12-14 week session. There are day and evening classes available.
- Chapel Haven West1701 N. Park AvenueTucson, Arizona 85719 Phone: 1-877-824-9378 Email: email@example.com Web: http://www.chapelhaven.org/ Information:Chapel Haven West opened in 2008 in Tucson, AZ and provides residential transition and lifelong supports for adults 18+ with autism spectrum disorders and related social disabilities. The program is a satellite of Chapel Haven, Inc., in New Haven, Conn., founded in 1972 by parents and dedicated to providing lifelong supports for adults with cognitive and social disabilities. Chapel Haven`s other two programs are based in New Haven, CT. Chapel Haven West is a 24-month transition program that focuses in four key areas: independent living, self-determination, college/vocation and social communication skills. Students live in an apartment complex within walking distance a few blocks from the University of Arizona. They learn apartment management skills along with cooking, budgeting, grocery shopping and doing laundry. The program`s close proximity to the University of Arizona provides a rich array of benefits for Chapel Haven West students, including classes, involvement in the university`s state-of-the-art SALT Center and job shadowing opportunities. Chapel Haven West also offers classes, social communication therapy and supported living services for families living within the Tucson area. Information about extended services provided by Chapel Haven West available upon request.
Profile last updated:
Nearby Private Schools
- School Location Miles Grades Students
- New Haven Grades: PK-8 | 320 students
351 Mckinley Ave
New Haven, CT 06515
(203)387-5693 0.1 PK-8
- New Haven Grades: 6-12 | 44 students
446a Blake St Ste 100
New Haven, CT 06515
(203)468-5316 0.7 6-12
- Woodbridge Grades: PK-K | 51 students
1666 Litchfield Tpke
Woodbridge, CT 06525
(203)397-8178 1.1 PK-K
- New Haven Grades: 9-12 | 95 students
292 Norton Street
New Haven, CT 06511 1.2 9-12
Nearby Homes for Sale
What are the attributes which make 21st century military schools so special? We find out in this article.
A parent and I chat about finding the best school for her daughter. While the parent may be fictitious, her questions are quite typical of the kind of questions and concerns parents have when thinking about sending their children to private school.
We look at several ways you can use to search for private schools. Whether you are beginning the search process for a school for your child or just want to find out more about particular schools, we offer some tips and tricks to make searching more efficient.