City Country School
- City and Country School, for children ages 2-13, was founded in 1914 by the poineering educator, Caroline Pratt, during the dynamic period of progressive education.
- Believing the education is fundamentally a social process, we strive to create a vital school community that supports each child's innate passion for learning while also expanding his or her understanding of communities and cultures that exist beyond school and home.
- The teacher's place is alongside the child, posing questions that elicit imaginative thinking, problem-solving and decision making in pursuit of a deeper perspective.
- In the partnership of learning among children and teachers, community is lived through purposeful experiences that foster responsibility, cooperation, active participation, care and respect--qualities necessary to the life of a democratic society.
|School Membership(s)School Assoc.||National Association for the Education of Young Children|
National Association of Independent Schools (NAIS)
State or regional independent school association
|Grades Offered||Grades Nursery/Preschool-8|
|Total Students||385 students|
|Student Body Type||Co-ed|
|% Students of Color|
State avg.: 29%
|Students by Grade|
Academics and Faculty
|Total Classroom Teachers||70 teachers|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||6:1|
National avg.: 13:1
|Average Class Size||16 students|
|Classroom Dress Code||Casual|
Finances and Admission
|Admission Deadline||Nov. 21|
|Tuition Notes||Please see website: cityandcountry.org|
|% on Financial Aid|
|Admissions Director||Elise Bauer|
|Admissions Associate||Erika Greenberg|
|Endowment Size||$6 million|
|Total Sports Offered||5 sports|
|Sports||Basketball, Cross Country, Soccer, Ultimate Frisbee, VolleyballBasketball, Cross Country,|
Soccer, Ultimate Frisbee,
- City and Country School, for children ages 2 8th grade, is an historically significant progressive school founded in 1914 by pioneer educator Caroline Pratt. Lower School classrooms are equipped with ample space and an abundant supply of carefully chosen materials including paint, sand, clay, wood, water, and Pratt`s creation: wooden unit blocks, now used the world over. These materials, along with teachers who expertly guide their use, inspire creativity, cooperation, and independence. Math, reading, and writing are taught effectively in systematic and contextual ways. In 3rd 8th grades, C&C's program emphasizes depth of learning and research skills as children engage in historical studies of our diverse world. Specials classes in Art, Technology, Library, Music, Rhythms, Science, Woodshop, Orchestra, and Spanish enable children to connect their scientific and artistic experiences with history, social justice, and culture. A hallmark is the Jobs Program: each grade has a job for the entire School community (post office, printing press, or school store, for example). Through their jobs, children solidify leadership, critical thinking, and problem-solving skills in a powerful and practical context, as well as develop a deep sense of responsibility and resourcefulness. Graduates are confident, creative thinkers with a true excitement for learning and the ability to collaborate and problem solve in any situation. Students are accepted to a wide range of high schools, and an extremely high percent attend their school of choice.
- School Location Miles Grades Students
- New YorkGrades: K-12 | 1281 students
108 E 89th St
New York, NY 10128
- New YorkGrades: NS-8 | 437 students
610 W 112th Street
New York, NY 10025
- New YorkGrades: K-12 | 587 students
210 E 77th Street
New York, NY 10075
- New YorkGrades: PK-12 | 819 students
312 East 95th Street
New York, NY 10128
- New YorkGrades: KG-12 | 646 students
260 W 78th St
New York, NY 10024
January 08, 2018
Changes to the Tax Code in late 2017 included the addition of saving for K-12 private school education to 529 plans. We take a look at what this means for families thinking about private school for their children.
January 07, 2018
From time to time we all wonder how things might have turned out if circumstances and situations had been different. We apply that questioning to private schools.
December 27, 2017
Hundreds of private schools, and for that matter, public schools, outside the United States will be happy to have you as a teacher for a few years.