Cristo Rey Newark High School
Tel: (973)483-0033 Ext. 320
Cristo Rey Newark High School Photo #2 - At Cristo Rey Newark High School, academics forms the cornerstone of successful careers and lives.
Cristo Rey Newark High School Photo #3 - Our innovative Corporate Work Study Program incorporates work right into the school day. Our students help to offset their education costs while gaining valuable work experience at more than 60 corporate partners in the Greater Newark area. These employers range from large corporations to smaller firms, governmental agencies, universities, and non-profits.
Cristo Rey Newark High School Photo #4 - Corporate partners provide entry level jobs to our students that help them develop important skills that employers value: collaboration, accuracy, productivity, accountability, initiative, complex reasoning and persistence. Students work one day a week in the corporate setting. Some of our partners: Prudential, Horizon BCBSNJ, KPMG, Gibbons P.C., RWJBarnabas Health, Railroad Construction Company, Newark Museum, NJPAC just to name a few.
Cristo Rey Newark High School Photo #5 - Cristo Rey Newark students understand the importance of STEM classes to prepare themselves for future careers in Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics.
Cristo Rey Newark High School Photo #6 - Thanks to Students 2 Science, Cristo Rey Newark students are inspired to learn science in a whole new way. Through trips into the field, our students are immersed in project-based learning. These field visits help to make the connection between lessons in the virtual classroom and real life.
Cristo Rey Newark High School Photo #7 - Our students are engaged in project-based and problem-based learning, which greatly enhances their critical thinking and problem solving, research skills and practices, leadership ability and teamwork. All are necessary to succeed in the global economy. Students 2 Science helps to make this happen.
Cristo Rey Newark High School Photo #8 - Students need to be challenged academically. Cristo Rey Newark offers Advanced Placement courses to do just that. This year, in addition to AP Seminar, students will have the opportunity to take AP Research, AP Language and Composition, AP World History, AP U.S. History and AP Environmental Science.
Cristo Rey Newark High School Photo #9 - Beginning freshman year, Cristo Rey students understand that we expect every student to continue their education after graduation. Our students many of whom are the first in their families to attend college, gain acceptance to competitive colleges and earn substantial academic and need-based scholarships.
Cristo Rey Newark High School Photo #10 - The Mission of Cristo Rey Newark is that every student will graduate from high school AND from college. Our students succeed at outstanding colleges and universities. Many have already received undergraduate degrees. A number have continued their education and have been awarded advanced degrees, like Angelika Arias ('11) who received her law degree from Seton Hall University School of Law.
- A member of the national Cristo Rey Network of 37 schools, Cristo Rey Newark High School is a Catholic, college preparatory high school in Newark, New Jersey, providing a rigorous education for underserved students.
- We welcome students of all faiths and cultural heritages.
- We promote academic excellence, professionalism, and virtuous character rooted in Christian values through a college ready curriculum with an integrated work-study program focused on skills and experience for the purpose of transforming self and society.
|School Membership(s)School Assoc.||Not Available (School did not report any membership associatons).|
Middle States Association of Colleges and Secondary Schools
|Religious Affiliation||Roman Catholic|
|Grades Offered||Grades 9-12|
|Total Students||279 students|
|Student Body Type||Co-ed|
|% Students of Color|
State avg.: 30%
Academics and Faculty
|Total Classroom Teachers||19 teachers|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||15:1|
National avg.: 13:1
|Average Class Size||20 students|
|List of Courses Offered||Link to List of Courses|
|Advanced Courses||AP Environmental Science, AP Language and Composition, AP Research, AP Seminar, AP U.S. History, AP World History,|
|Average SAT score||1040|
|Classroom Dress Code||Formal|
Finances and Admission
|Admission Deadline||None / Rolling|
|Yearly Tuition Cost||$2,700|
|Tuition Notes||Cristo Rey Newark High School offers a payment plan consisting of 10 monthly installments. The average monthly payment ranges from $150 – $270. With scholarship assistance, 85% of our families pay less than the full $270 per month.|
|Admissions Director||Brenda Pescoran|
|Admissions Associate||Admissions Office|
|Total Sports Offered||10 sports|
|Sports||Basketball, Bowling, Cheering, Cross Country, Golf, Soccer, Softball, Track and Field, Volleyball, WeightliftingBasketball, Bowling,|
Cheering, Cross Country,
Softball, Track and Field,
|Total ExtracurricularsTotal Extra-curric.||4 extracurriculars|
|ExtracurricularsExtra-curric.||Club or Organization:|
Debate Team, Korean Culture Club, Sci-Fi Fantasy Club
Arts and Music Programs:
- Cristo Rey Newark, formerly Christ the King Prep, is in its second decade of educating urban students through a rigorous academic curriculum, innovative Corporate Work Study Program and formation in character development. This keenly focused approach has delivered extraordinary results.
- We envision a bright future for every young adult who enrolls at Cristo Rey Newark High School. Our students - representing a broad range of academic abilities - receive significant academic support and counseling to prepare them for the rigors of college. An extended school year with longer school days provides them with more time to develop into leaders. All Cristo Rey Newark High School students participate in our Corporate Work Study Program, building real-world job experience and professional contacts while earning a salary used to offset most of their high school tuition.
- At Cristo Rey Newark High School, academics forms the cornerstone of successful careers and lives. Our college preparatory curriculum transforms students into lifelong learners who think critically, communicate effectively and achieve confidently. During their four years here, students embrace the expectation that they will complete college and get a great job.
- Whether you`re an Honors/AP student or need remedial help, you`ll find the support you need to succeed from Cristo Rey Newark High School`s dedicated faculty and staff. In addition to caring teachers, you`ll also benefit from targeted services including a supervised homework center, SAT prep classes and service learning opportunities that apply your growing awareness of faith-based issues to real-world problems in the community.
Profile last updated:
- School Location Miles Grades Students
- Newark Grades: NS-12 | 154 students
580 Mount Prospect Ave
Newark, NJ 07104
(973)484-6646 0.2 NS-12
- Bloomfield Grades: K-12 | 90 students
60 West St
Bloomfield, NJ 07003
(973)429-8110 1.7 K-12
- Denville Grades: 9-12 | 413 students
200 Morris Ave
Denville, NJ 07834
(973)627-6674 19.1 9-12
- East Orange Grades: 1-8 | 229 students
23 N Clinton St
East Orange, NJ 07017
(973)677-1546 2.7 1-8
What is a lab school? It's a K-12 school or school with some variation of those grades which is operated by a university or college.
Helicopter, velcro and snowplow parents can't stand the thought of their children having difficulty with anything. Over-protective parents come in several flavors. More here.
Raising money for your small school never seems to end. There is always some pressing need. And a few long-term ones as well. We offer some tips, suggestions and strategies to help you tackle this important aspect of your school's financial situation.