East Bay Waldorf School
5.00 (1 review)
Tel: (510) 222-3297 Ext. 1
East Bay Waldorf School Photo #2 - Sitting on 91 acres, the East Bay Waldorf School is an oasis in the busy East Bay. Just 20 minutes from Oakland, Berkeley, Orinda, or Vallejo, families come from all over the East Bay to prepare their children for life with a Waldorf Education.
East Bay Waldorf School Photo #3 - Imaginative play is the foundation of our Preschool and Kindergarten programs, supported with practical skills, art, and lots of outdoor time! Our magical early childhood program lays the essential foundation for academic learning, a healthy body, emotional health, and the self-regulation needed for a successful life.
East Bay Waldorf School Photo #4 - The Waldorf curriculum and methods have a 100-year track record of success. We recognize multiple intelligences and use a variety of methods to connect students with what they are learning. At East Bay Waldorf, learning is truly joyful!
East Bay Waldorf School Photo #5 - 5th and 6th graders enjoy an in-depth study of the Classical world -- Ancient Greece and Rome, but also ancient India, Persia, the Middle East, and Egypt -- as part of our "liberal arts" curriculum.
East Bay Waldorf School Photo #6 - Our math specialist brings innovative methods and individualized approaches to the study of math -- one way we make sure our Middle Schoolers are ready for whatever high school they choose -- public or private, college-prep, artistic, or alternative.
East Bay Waldorf School Photo #7 - Waldorf is the original "maker" school -- with handwork, woodwork, gardening and practical skills woven throughout the curriculum. Parents enjoy honing their maker skills as well!
East Bay Waldorf School Photo #8 - Did you know that proximity to nature improves academic outcomes? Our 91-acre campus sits next to Wildcat canyon where our students can enjoy hands-on learning of botany and zoology, as well as recess and hikes from PreK-Grade 8.
East Bay Waldorf School Photo #9 - Music is an important part of life at East Bay Waldorf. From singing to recorder to our String Orchestras -- in which all students participate beginning in 4th grade -- music has important academic and personal benefits!
- The East Bay Waldorf School offers a developmentally-appropriate, experiential approach to education, integrating the arts and academics for children from PreK through 8th grade.
- We cultivate the spark of individuality in each child helping them grow intellectually, physically, emotionally, and creatively.
- The Waldorf curriculum is challenging, experiential, and comprehensive.
- What others consider "extracurricular," we consider "essential" to becoming a well-educated and well-rounded human being. As part of their regular classes, all students study foreign language, singing, recorder, orchestra, fine arts, games, movement, handwork, woodwork, gardening and drama.
- Waldorf education is celebrating it's 100th Birthday this year -- with 1000 schools around the globe. We are the educational alternative with a proven track record of success.
- Families come from Oakland, Berkeley, Lafayette, Orinda, Walnut Creek, Richmond, El Cerrito, Vallejo, Pinole, Benicia and of course, El Sobrante to give their child the firm foundation of a Waldorf PreK-8 education.
- Our graduates go on to high schools that reflect their interests -- public or private, competitive academic, artistic or alternative. They are ready for anything and high schools appreciate their interest and engagement.
- The aim of Waldorf education is to inspire life-long learning in each student and enable them to fully develop their unique capacities.
- East Bay Waldorf School Receives 80 acres - 06/28/2019 - A generous land donation of about 80 acres of open space to East Bay Waldorf School in El Sobrante has expanded the school`s property from 11 to 91 acres, increasing ...moreopportunities for hands-on environmental education, according to a statement by the independent PreK-8th grade school. hide
|School Type||School with Special Program Emphasis|
|School Membership(s)School Assoc.||Association of Waldorf Schools of North America|
Waldorf Early Childhood Association of North America
|Grades Offered||Grades Prekindergarten-8|
|Total Students||159 students|
|Student Body Type||Co-ed|
|% Students of Color|
State avg.: 45%
|Students by Grade|
Academics and Faculty
|Total Classroom Teachers||16 teachers|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||10:1|
National avg.: 13:1
|Average Class Size||12 students|
|List of Courses Offered||Link to List of Courses|
|Classroom Dress Code||Casual|
(non-distracting & free of logos)
Finances and Admission
|Admission Deadline||Jan. 15 / rolling|
|Yearly Tuition Cost||$20,500|
|Tuition Notes||Need-based tuition adjustment available.|
|% on Financial Aid|
|Admissions Director||Katie Alemio|
|Total Sports Offered||2 sports|
|Sports||Basketball, VolleyballBasketball, Volleyball,|
|Total ExtracurricularsTotal Extra-curric.||2 extracurriculars|
|ExtracurricularsExtra-curric.||Arts and Music Programs:|
Drama Club, Music Ensembles
- In addition to reading, writing, math, the humanities and the sciences, our students have regular lessons in a wide variety of subjects, including:
- Handwork -- e.g. knitting, sewing
- Fine arts
- Games and Sports
- Eurythmy (Movement)
- Outdoor Education
- School Location Miles Grades Students
- San Pablo Grades: 2-12 | 78 students
4138 Lakeside Dr
San Pablo, CA 94806
(510) 262-1500 2.3 2-12
- El Cerrito Grades: PK-8 | 494 students
960 Avis Drive/2060 Tapscott Ave.
El Cerrito, CA 94530
(510) 809-9000 3.2 PK-8
- El Sobrante Grades: K-12 | 85 students
431 Rincon Rd
El Sobrante, CA 94803
(510) 223-9550 0.9 K-12
- Berkeley Grades: K-8 | 105 students
2722 Benvenue Avenue
Berkeley, CA 94705
(510) 549-0605 7.6 K-8
- Berkeley Grades: PK-8 | 296 students
1310 University Ave
Berkeley, CA 94702
(510) 665-8800 6.6 PK-8
We have been happy at this Waldorf school from early childhood into middle school now. You cannot beat the campus setting - it is an integral part of the East Bay Waldorf education that makes the kids here so terrific. The amazing teachers, Waldorf curriculum, multiple subjects and outdoor gardening and hiking all combine to make this a really special Waldorf school. We drive the 20 minutes from Berkeley because it's worth it. The students are relaxed and happy and love learning. They have inner motivation. This school truly preserves childhood while giving the children a terrific, multi-faceted education.
- Posted by Parent - mom of 2
Now that school has safely reopened, what can we parents do to support and encourage the schools we care about so much?
Sending your child to a single-sex school is one of several options you have when it comes to private schools.
This article aims to show you where to look for information about school reopening protocols, school reopening communications, schools that have closed, and schools with COVID-19 cases, among other COVID-19 related issues.