5.00 (3 reviews)
Students, families, faculty, staff, and friends of the school are all members of the Gillispie Community. A strong sense of community, inclusion, and school-pride can felt on campus, and is celebrated at annual events like the Junior Olympics, the La Jolla Holiday Parade, and our Fall Family Night.
The atmosphere at Gillispie is one of support and encouragement. The synergy of forward thinking teachers, administrators, families and mentors provides the nurturing support that allows children to take risks, be creative, and think independently.
Gillispie students love coming to school at Gillispie. Our annual Field Day celebrates our students’ joyful spirit with a day of outdoor games.
Gillispie offers a nurturing environment that fosters kindness, respect, and individual commitment to one another and the larger world. Our book buddy program showcases that commitment.
International Day is celebrated annually at Gillispie. The community comes together to celebrate global education and diversity.
- Gillispie School, named La Jolla's Best Private Elementary School, is an independent, coeducational day school enrolling students from age two through Grade Six.
- Our school community is devoted to educational excellence, and our program serves as a springboard for children`s love of learning, creativity, and readiness for the future.
- We value kindness, respect, and individual commitment to the larger world. Our expansive campus is located in downtown La Jolla, and includes a fine arts center, early childhood art atelier, science bungalow, sustainable garden, and library.
- Two playgrounds, a sports field, and gymnasium provide areas for recess and physical education. Students benefit from San Diego's numerous natural and intellectual resources.
|School Membership(s)School Assoc.||National Association of Independent Schools (NAIS)|
California Association of Independent Schools (CAIS)
|Grades Offered||Grades Nursery/Preschool-6|
|Learning Difference Programs||Yes|
|Learning Programs Supported||Please inquire.|
|Summer School Offered||Yes|
|Total Students||275 students|
|Student Body Type||Co-ed|
|% Students of Color|
State avg.: 43%
|Students by Grade|
Academics and Faculty
|Total Classroom Teachers||27 teachers|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||10:1|
National avg.: 13:1
|Average Class Size||14 students|
Finances and Admission
|Admission Deadline||Feb. 1 / rolling|
|Yearly Tuition Cost||$20,000|
|Tuition Notes||Tuition varies by grade.|
|% on Financial Aid|
National avg.: 85%
|Admissions Director||Elyn Roberts|
|Endowment Size||$4.5 million|
- Gillispie School, named La Jolla's Best Private Elementary School, is an independent, coeducational day school enrolling students from age two through Grade Six. Our school community is devoted to educational excellence, and our program serves as a springboard for children`s love of learning, creativity, and readiness for the future. We value kindness, respect, and individual commitment to the larger world.
- Our expansive campus is located in downtown La Jolla and includes a fine arts center, early childhood art atelier, science bungalow, sustainable garden, and library. Two playgrounds, a sports field, and gymnasium provide areas for recess and physical education. Students benefit from San Diego's numerous natural and intellectual resources.
- Gillispie is a school where children can`t wait to arrive, never want to leave, and are eager to share their day`s adventures with families and friends. The synergy of forward-thinking teachers, administrators, families, and mentors provides the nurturing support that allows children to take risks, be creative, and think independently. Encouraged by exemplary and passionate teachers to express their knowledge and opinions, children become lifelong learners and critical thinkers. We use time, financial resources and physical space to create an environment that develops confident, competent children of character.
- For more information, visit www.gillispie.org or contact us at 858-459-3773.
- School Location Miles Grades Students
- La JollaGrades: K-6
6510 La Jolla Scenic Dr S
La Jolla, CA 92037
- San DiegoGrades: K-6 | 153 students
3975 Torrington Street
San Diego, CA 92130
- EncinitasGrades: PK-8 | 432 students
3616 Manchester Avenue
Encinitas, CA 92024
- La JollaGrades: NS-12 | 1155 students
9490 Genesee Avenue
La Jolla, CA 92037
- La JollaGrades: NS-8 | 230 students
2225 Torrey Pines Lane
La Jolla, CA 92037
Gillispie is truly a leader in Early childhood education. We have been parents at Gillispie for over 12 years. All three of my kids have truly LOVED their school. We feel Very fortunate to have found such a holistic, healthy, and nurturing environment for our children to grow and build strong foundations for their future academic experiences. The teachers are dedicated, experienced, caring, and truly go above and beyond to give their best to our children on a daily basis. The head of school is an amazing leader, a role model, and one who is dedicated to the well being of our children and the field of education. My Gillispie graduate, who is now in middle school has wonderful memories, and is truly thriving in 8th grade both academically and as an adolescent. He was very well prepared for middle school and has continuously excelled and challenged himself academically. . We know that our children are genuinely happy here and not under pressure and stress to perform like "mini adults". They are enjoying their childhood as they should, while learning to be critical thinkers, caring citizens, good friends, and developing a love of learning. For that we are very grateful to this school.
- Posted by Parent - Monica
My son attends Gillispie and we love this school. He looks forward to going to school every day. He is in the Early Childhood program, and the emphasis of the program is not on rote memorization but on socialization, critical thinking, and individual development. I was skeptical of the school's approach at first, but now I am a true believer. I''ve seen what they teach in action, and we are so pleased by our son's development, his love of learning (even at such an early age), and his enthusiasm for working on the various projects at school.
- Posted by Parent - shiny
We LOVE Gillispie!! It's more than another school; it's an environment, culture and extended family we feel blessed to be part of. Gillispie completely squashed my preconceived notions of private/independent schools.
- Posted by Parent - diana
April 20, 2018
Sending your children to a summer program or camp keeps them active in fun-filled settings. We explore your options.
April 19, 2018
We take a detailed look at the three popular early childhood methods to help you determine which one best suits your needs and requirements.
April 10, 2018
There's much more to running a small private school than offering great academics and teaching. Be sure to check under the hood regularly to make sure everything keeps running smoothly.