Girls' Middle School
5.00 (3 reviews)
- The Girls' Middle School is committed to providing a positive and challenging learning environment that fosters self-esteem, empowerment and responsibility.
- GMS promotes intellectual curiosity and disciplined study habits through a stimulating curriculum that provides a well-rounded exposure to the arts and humanities while emphasizing science, math and computer technologies.
- We apply a hands-on project based approach that allows students to collaborate and think critically.
|School Membership(s)School Assoc.||National Coalition of Girls|
National Association of Independent Schools (NAIS)
California Association of Independent Schools (CAIS)
|Grades Offered||Grades 6-8|
|Learning Difference Programs||Yes|
|Total Students||204 students|
|Student Body Type||Co-ed|
|% Students of Color|
State avg.: 44%
|Students by Grade|
Academics and Faculty
|Total Classroom Teachers||26 teachers|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||8:1|
National avg.: 13:1
|% Faculty w/Advanced Degree|
|Average Class Size||18 students|
|List of Courses Offered||Link to List of Courses|
|Matriculation DataMatric. Data||Link to Matriculation Data|
|Classroom Dress Code||Casual|
Finances and Admission
|Admission Deadline||Jan. 15|
|Yearly Tuition Cost||$33,040|
|% on Financial Aid|
|Admissions Director||Rakiya Brown|
|Admissions Associate||Shantya Martinez|
|Total Sports Offered||10 sports|
|Sports||Basketball, Cross Country, Dance, Flag Football, Soccer, Softball, Surf Team, Tennis, Track and Field, VolleyballBasketball, Cross Country,|
Dance, Flag Football,
Surf Team, Tennis,
Track and Field, Volleyball,
|Total ExtracurricularsTotal Extra-curric.||3 extracurriculars|
|ExtracurricularsExtra-curric.||Club or Organization:|
Arts and Music Programs:
Recreational Athletic Programs:
- Criteria for Admission: The admission committee looks carefully at each application to assess her potential to thrive at GMS. Applicants are appraised in academic ability, creativity, problem-solving skills, interest in learning and their ability to work in groups. The fit between the student and GMS is also determined by recommendations from two teachers, along with a personal recommendation, past transcript, ISEE testing, and a family interview.
- School Location Miles Grades Students
- Altadena Grades: NS | 12 students
922 E Mendocino St
Altadena, CA 91001
(626)794-2244 314.4 NS
Hello My daughter (15 years) will be coming with me to San Diego, and I look forward to search for a suitable school and close to the UCSD Extension (9500 Gilman Drive. La Jolla. CA 92093-0176 So can you help me to nominate the right school ?. Salahuddin Alghanim
- Posted by Parent - salah
Dedicated faculty, out-of-the box thinking, and a very supportive environment. GMS truly lives the mission of providing a positive and challenging learning environment that fosters self-esteem, empowerment and responsibility. Not just your average private school: a completely different way of teaching and educating girls. Wish there had been a school like this when I was a girl!
- Posted by Parent - trici
I am a former GMS student and I could go on forever about the education I have received from the school. It has not only taught me how to work in a group but it also helped me get to know who I am. It has sparked my interest and passions that I will continue to explore in high school. GMS has also given me the gift of confidence in who I am. The teachers and staff have helped me progress as a student and athlete. The education and skills each girl receives is priceless. There is no other school like GMS. I strongly recommend the school to any one who is interested.
- Posted by Student/Alumni - mlove
You have just heard about a new private school opening soon in your area. Should you consider sending your child there? A look at the pros and cons of such a decision.
If you know the answers to all these questions, you probably teach or work in a private school. Be that as it may, these questions contain links with the answers.
As you evaluate schools, take time to explore fully what the schools which you are looking at teach.