Golda Och Academy (formerly Solomon Schechter Day School Of Essex & Union)
- Many families seek a Jewish education for their children, but also want a private school with the outstanding academics and programs associated with top preparatory schools in New Jersey.
- At Golda Och Academy, students and their families benefit from the best of both worlds with an excellent educational program that prepares students for the finest colleges and universities AND is rooted in Jewish values.GOA is accredited by the NJ Association of Independent Schools, and we meet or exceed the NJ State Core Curriculum Standards.Our high academic standards are paralleled by an emphasis on creating a compassionate and ethical community, grounded in Jewish values.
- Our students understand the concepts of derekh eretz (respect for oneself and others) and tikkun olam (making the world a better place), and these tenets of the Jewish faith form the basis of students` daily communications and interactions.
- Our graduates become proud and motivated participants in the Jewish community - and the world at large.We invite you to visit our school and find out more about our outstanding program for grades Pre-K through 12.
- Please contact us to arrange a tour of our school at 973-602-3601 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
|School Membership(s)School Assoc.||Solomon Schechter Day Schools (SSDS)|
New Jersey Association of Independent Schools
|Grades Offered||Grades Prekindergarten-12|
|Total Students||548 students|
|Student Body Type||Co-ed|
|% Students of Color|
State avg.: 30%
|Students by Grade|
Academics and Faculty
|Total Classroom Teachers||120 teachers|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||5:1|
National avg.: 13:1
|% Faculty w/Advanced Degree|
|Average Class Size||18 students|
|Number of AP Courses||4 courses|
|List of Courses Offered||Link to List of Courses|
|Average SAT score||1340|
|Average ACT score||29|
|Matriculation DataMatric. Data||Link to Matriculation Data|
|Classroom Dress Code||Casual|
(No shorts or tank tops permitted.)
Finances and Admission
|Admission Deadline||Jan. 15|
|Tuition Notes||Please see our website for more information regarding tuition and affordability.|
|Admissions Director||Gail Shapiro|
|Admissions Associate||Mara Suskauer|
|Total Sports Offered||9 sports|
|Sports||Baseball, Basketball, Cross Country, Lacrosse, Soccer, Softball, Swimming, Tennis, VolleyballBaseball, Basketball,|
Cross Country, Lacrosse,
|Total ExtracurricularsTotal Extra-curric.||27 extracurriculars|
|ExtracurricularsExtra-curric.||Annual Coffeehouse/Talent Show, Annual Musical Production, Art Club, Band, Chamber Music Ensemble, Choir, Community Service Clubs (several), Dance Team, Environmental Club, Fine Arts Club, High School Musical, High School Play, Israel Club, Juggling Club, Literary Magazine, Math Club, Middle School Musical, Mock Trial, Model UN, Molecular Biology Club, National Honor Society, Robotics, School Newspaper, Science Enrichment, Silk Screening Club, Student Government, Yearbook Art Club, Band, Choir, Dance Team, Fine Arts Club, Israel Club, Juggling Club, Math Club, Mock Trial, Model UN, Robotics, Yearbook, Annual Coffeehouse/Talent Show,|
Annual Musical Production,
Chamber Music Ensemble,
Community Service Clubs (several),
High School Musical,
High School Play,
Middle School Musical,
Molecular Biology Club,
National Honor Society,
Silk Screening Club,
- Located in West Orange, New Jersey, Golda Och Academy is an accredited private independent school, educating students from pre-Kindergarten through 12th grade in a flexible and caring environment that nurtures their minds and their spirits. In the tradition of Solomon Schechter schools, we ground a rigorous academic curriculum in the culture and tenets of Conservative Judaism, while welcoming students and families from a range of synagogue affiliations and Jewish expression. Golda Och Academy is a vibrant learning community that focuses on the individual intellectual, social and spiritual needs of each child. We cultivate in students a lifelong love of learning within the context of Jewish knowledge and heritage. Our school is located on two campuses - one for the Lower School and one for the Upper School - located about two miles apart in West Orange, serving approximately 550 students from more than 70 communities across New Jersey.
- School Location Miles Grades Students
- RandolphGrades: NS-8
146 Dover Chester Road
Randolph, NJ 07869
- SomervilleGrades: 9-12 | 769 students
240 Mountain Ave
Somerville, NJ 08876
- West OrangeGrades: 9-12 | 951 students
120 Northfield Ave
West Orange, NJ 07052
Nearby Homes for Sale
October 18, 2017
The Seattle area is home to many fine private schools as well as to major companies such as Microsoft, Boeing and Starbucks.
September 30, 2017
Scandals in private school are bound to raise questions for those of us thinking about sending our children to private school. Regardless of how sensational these scandals may appear, they are actually few and far between.
September 29, 2017
Parents have many reasons for deciding to take their children out of public school and enrolling them in private school. This circumstance is something which can happen at any stage of your child's education.