GW Community School
- Founded in the summer of 1999, the GW Community School embraces as its mission the development and implementation of a holistic educational program which will develop and optimize the giftedness and intelligence of each student in an in-depth, enriched, and technically advanced college preparatory environment that emphasizes authentic application of knowledge, not merely assimilation of information.
- Students will experience academic success and the development of social awareness and responsibility in an atmosphere where all are treated with respect and courtesy. The GW Community School recognizes the unique contribution of parents, students and community members striving for unity of purpose.
|School Membership(s)School Assoc.||Southern Association Of Colleges And Schools (SACS)|
|Grades Offered||Grades 9-12|
|Total Students||56 students|
|Student Body Type||n/a|
|% Students of Color|
State avg.: 24%
|Students by Grade|
Academics and Faculty
|Total Classroom Teachers||12 teachers|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||5:1|
National avg.: 13:1
|Average Class Size||8 students|
|Number of AP Courses||4 courses|
|List of Courses Offered||Link to List of Courses|
|Advanced Courses||AP Calculus, AP Computer Science Principles, AP US Government, AP US History, Honors Anatomy & Physiology, Honors Astrophysics, Honors English 9, 10, 11, 12, Honors Geometry, Honors Physics|
|Matriculation DataMatric. Data||Link to Matriculation Data|
|Classroom Dress Code||Casual|
Finances and Admission
|Admission Deadline||None / Rolling|
|Yearly Tuition Cost||$29,616|
|Tuition Notes||Discount payment plans and scholarships available.|
|Admissions Associate||Cassie Sinichko|
|Total Sports Offered||1 sports|
|Total ExtracurricularsTotal Extra-curric.||12 extracurriculars|
|ExtracurricularsExtra-curric.||Club or Organization:|
Chess, Coyote Robotics, History thru Movies, Music Club, Soccer, Student Government Association, Theatre / Improv, Weightlifting, Yearbook
Recreational Athletic Programs:
Co-ed Flag Football, Co-ed Softball, Personal Fitness
- Admissions Process: GW Community School has rolling admissions. We keep our class sizes small and want to keep our total enrollment at approximately 55 students therefore we do fill up and have to turn students away.
- GW Community School does not host an Open House for prospective families; instead we schedule personal interviews with our Director. If you are interested in learning more about GWCS we recommend the following:
- 1. Familiarize yourself with GWCS through our website: www.gwcommunityschool.com. If this sparks your interest or stirs up additional questions...
- 2. Call GWCS and ask to schedule a prospective interview: (703) 978-7208. Prospective interviews include student and parent(s) and last approximately one hour. You will meet with the Director, Alexa Warden. She will talk with you about GWCS, answer any of your questions, ask you questions and show you around the school including visiting classes that are insession at the time, interacting with students and teachers.
- 3. Submit an application complete with writing sample, photo and application fee.
- 4. Once application material has been received you will be notified of our decision by mail within two to three weeks.
- School Location Miles Grades Students
- Alexandria Grades: 6-12 | 55 students
4913 Franconia Road
Alexandria, VA 22310
(703)822-9300 7.5 6-12
Traditional academic curriculum with AP and Honors classes. Small, engaging classes with teachers who are smart, caring and supportive. Focus on authentic learning allows for interesting field trips, like observing a live open heart surgery at Inova Hospital, followed by a discussion with the surgical team. Internship program is excellent, and a real plus on college applications. Vibrant, warm environment. Small but mighty, this is truly a special school.
- Posted by Parent - Parent AS
GW Community School is small but mighty. Teachers are top-notch -- present, informed, engaged and caring. Classes are small and offer college prep curriculum with AP and Honors options. Internship program is excellent and a definite plus on college applications. Anatomy and Physiology class went to Inova Hospital to observe a live open heart surgery and talk with the surgical team. Kids blossom here, and won't fall through the cracks. Less stress, more learning. Glad we found GWCS.
- Posted by Parent - Parent AS
This school is amazing. The teachers, to a person, have deep passion for their profession and really go out of their way to accommodate children with different learning styles.
- Posted by Parent - Parent
This is an amazing school that has incredibly supportive teachers and staff. They offer advanced as well as remedial classes. It is a small school which has good and bad. The good individual attention and the ability to construct classes to meet specific student needs. The bad, there are not a lot of children and if there is a conflict between two students it there is little opportunity to move out of class. Overall, it is an amazing school that works very hard to change the class to meet the needs of the individual child rather than having your child try to meet the needs of the class.
- Posted by Parent - kang1