Heritage Christian Academy
5.00 (3 reviews)
Heritage Christian Academy Photo #2 - Kindergarten visits the Pumpkin Patch. Heritage Christian Academy offers a full-day kindergarten program, which includes several field trips and special days such as Grandparent's Day, 100th Day, Dr. Seuss week and more.
Heritage Christian Academy Photo #3 - Reading Buddies - Heritage Christian Academy 7th & 8th Grade English classes host reading buddies for the lower school.
Heritage Christian Academy Photo #4 - Heritage Christian Academy Praise & Worship Team - HCA students in grades 9-12 may audition to be a part of the praise & worship team. The team performs at weekly chapel and other events throughout the year.
Heritage Christian Academy Photo #5 - Heritage Christian Academy offers band, choir and general music classes. The band and choir programs have fall and spring concerts each year.
Heritage Christian Academy Photo #6 - Heritage Christian Academy offers Varsity, Junior Varsity and Youth Seasonal Sports.
Heritage Christian Academy Photo #7 - Heritage Christian Academy Upper School Students participate in the Disney Youth Education Series with hands-on learning opportunities.
- Heritage Christian Academy (HCA) is an independent, community, Christian School serving grades K4 through 12.
- The mission of HCA is to assist Christian parents in their responsibility to equip students for life through academics and service to Christ.
- The school, founded in 1974, is fully accredited by Southern Association of Colleges and Schools (SACS) and is a member of the Association of Christian Schools International (ACSI).
- HCA offers academics, athletics and arts all with a Christian worldview.
- AP US history, AP Biology and AP Calculus are offered. Dual enrollment is available for English 101 and 102.
|School Membership(s)School Assoc.||Association of Christian Schools International (ACSI)|
Southern Association Of Colleges And Schools (SACS)
|Grades Offered||Grades Prekindergarten-12|
|Total Students||193 students|
|Student Body Type||Co-ed|
|% Students of Color|
State avg.: 21%
|Students by Grade|
Academics and Faculty
|Total Classroom Teachers||38 teachers|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||5:1|
National avg.: 13:1
|% Faculty w/Advanced Degree|
|Average Class Size||15 students|
|Number of AP Courses||3 courses|
|Advanced Courses||AP Biology, AP Calculus, US History|
|Average ACT score||24|
|Classroom Dress Code||Casual|
(jeans, khakis, collared shirts)
Finances and Admission
|Admission Deadline||None / Rolling|
|Tuition Notes||Please visit www.hcachristian.org Admissions Page for 2017-2018 application packet for tuition & fee schedule|
National avg.: 85%
|Admissions Director||Beth Buyck|
|Admissions Associate||Kelly Hill|
|Total Sports Offered||10 sports|
|Sports||Baseball, Basketball, Cheering, Cross Country, Golf, Soccer, Softball, Track and Field, Volleyball, Winter TrackBaseball, Basketball,|
Cheering, Cross Country,
Softball, Track and Field,
Volleyball, Winter Track,
|Total ExtracurricularsTotal Extra-curric.||12 extracurriculars|
|ExtracurricularsExtra-curric.||Club or Organization:|
Chapel Committee, National Honor Society, Prom Committee, Student Ambassadors, Student Council, Yearbook
Arts and Music Programs:
Concert Band, Concert Choir, Percussion Ensemble, Theatre
Recreational Athletic Programs:
Youth Basketball, Youth Cross Country
- Heritage Christian Academy (HCA) is an independent, community, Christian School serving grades K4 through 12. The school provides a strong academic program with a Christian worldview. The mission of HCA is to assist Christian parents in their responsibility to equip students for life through academics and service to Christ. The school, founded in 1974, is fully accredited by Southern Association of Colleges and Schools (SACS) and is a member of the Association of Christian Schools International (ACSI). AP US history, AP Biology and AP Calculus are offered. Dual enrollment is available for English 101 and 102.
- School Location Miles Grades Students
- Bessemer Grades: PK-12 | 354 students
1705 4th Ave Sw
Bessemer, AL 35022
(205)428-6288 10.1 PK-12
- Birmingham Grades: PK-8 | 317 students
4901 Old Leeds Rd
Birmingham, AL 35213
(205)956-9731 10.1 PK-8
- Gardendale Grades: PK-12 | 376 students
2649 Decatur Hwy
Gardendale, AL 35071
(205)631-9318 19 PK-12
In an area of big schools - this small school is well worth a look. Our kids have been at SMCS for 5 years & it's a blessing to know our kids friends AND their parents. We enjoy a diverse community of Christians in a setting other than church. Academics are strong, with nurturing teachers that love on kids in the lower grades and mentor the older students. The principal appears to have made diffiicult decisions recently in a committment to raising academic standards with a focus on quality hiring decisions in math & science. The theatre and band productions are immensly enjoyable when you know the performers. In athletics, SMCS provides opportunities for kids to play multiple sports while at the same time having the flexibility to be a part of other activities. Numerous student-athletes in surrounding shools work tirelessly year-round from their middle school days through high school in hopes of making one sports team at the super-sized schools. Unfortunately, a lot of those kids burn out or loose their passion for the game just as they peak at a cost of never exploring the arts. The well-rounded multi-sport student athlete of 20 years ago is back at SMCS!
- Posted by Parent - RnSFa
We move our kids from another good Christian school to Shades Mountain Christian a few years ago and have been very thankful we did. The academic experience and Biblical foundation have been just as good but the kids have thrived socially in the smaller class environment and with the more diverse population of students.
- Posted by Parent - tlatk
High expectations of students and teachers who know their content and encourage students academically and spiritually are the qualities we have experienced since our children started there 2 years ago. Small class sizes are also a huge deal!
- Posted by Parent - Ashmc
The SSAT’s questions are different than questions on other standardized tests. Make sure you learn about the best SSAT test prep programs out there.
Bullying lurks everywhere. Learn the warning signs and how to protect your child.
It is illegal for an interviewer to ask certain questions at your job interview. Be aware of what they can and cannot ask you.