Tel: (808) 575-2954
- Horizons Academy of Maui's mission is to provide an education to those students that have a learning disability or difference, by giving them an education focused on academic, compensating learning strategies, life and emotional skills so that they may make a positive contribution to society, specifically the Maui Community.
- We serve students from K-12 with average to above average intelligence.
- With an individualized curriculum plan, the students are able to overcome their disabilities and focus on their capabilities in a nurturing and accepting environment that also enhances self-esteem.
- Our goal is to transition students back to mainstream academics.
- since being established in 1989 we have been giving the students the skills they need to make this learning transition back into the public or private school system.
|School Type||Special Education School|
|School Membership(s)School Assoc.||National Association of Private Special Education Centers|
|Grades Offered||Grades 5-12|
|Summer School Offered||Yes|
|Total Students||16 students|
|Student Body Type||Co-ed|
|Students by Grade|
Academics and Faculty
|Total Classroom Teachers||2 teachers|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||8:1|
National avg.: 13:1
|% Faculty w/Advanced Degree|
|Average Class Size||8 students|
Finances and Admission
|Admission Deadline||None / Rolling|
|% on Financial Aid|
National avg.: 85%
|Admissions Director||Debbi D'Angelo|
- Horizons Academy is based on the educational philosophy that children and youth have the potential to learn, thrive, and succeed when taught using specialized teaching strategies and effective educational practices. Our job is to find the way in which each child learns best and to teach in those ways using research-based effective practices. * Horizons Academy provides quality education to students kindergarten through tenth grade and is committed to providing best practices in the field of special education. With this mission, we research and identify the most effective programs, curricula, and instructional tools to meet our students' needs. The alternative educational program that Horizons Academy provides has become widely known, respected and recognized in Maui, the state of Hawaii, and North America. * Grades/Ages: Grade levels taught are kindergarten through tenth (ages 5 to 18 years). The compositions of our classrooms are based on each student's skill level rather than actual grade level. * Class size: With an average teacher to student ratio of 1 to 7, Horizons Academy gives each student an abundance of individualized attention. Team conferencing is held regularly on each student to ensure that all students are making their appropriate academic and social gains. Curriculum & Instruction: Students are provided with an exciting learning environment that meets their individual needs. With the use of direct, multi-sensory instruction, students receive the highest quality instruction in the areas of phonological awareness, reading decoding, reading comprehension, visual imagery, auditory processing, expressive writing, writing mechanics, spelling, math computation, math reasoning, critical thinking skills, science, social studies, visual perception skills, as well as social and problem-solving skills. The Horizons Academy staff is trained in numerous proven effective instructional Strategies and techniques including Lindamood-Bell TM. Self-Esteem: One of our most important tasks is to increase each child's self-esteem, thus, allowing them to reach their fullest potential. High Behavior Standards/Counseling: High Behavioral and social standards are expected of our students. As part of the curriculum, students are provided instruction in social skills, problem solving, impulse control and anger management within a positive learning environment. Individual, group, and/or family mental health therapy is available for students who may benefit from counseling by our trained counselor and/or mental health therapist. Computer Technology: The school is equipped with a modern computer network and Internet access. Individually tailored computer & multimedia instruction is provided on Macintosh and Windows computers. Students receive instruction in keyboarding and word processing. Specialized software provides tutoring and instruction in mathematics, reading, spelling, writing, & critical thinking. Transitioning: Our goal is to teach our students academic, social, organizational, and self-advocacy skills that will allow them to successfully transition into larger private or public school settings. Our staff works closely with the student, parents, and new school to ensure continued academic success. Summer School: A specialized summer school program is provided that includes an intense academic program for students who have learning challenges, as well as those who are gifted.
- School Location Miles Grades Students
- Kahului Grades: K-12 | 47 students
777 Mokulele Hwy
Kahului, HI 96732
(808) 871-2477 20.1 K-12
- Makawao Grades: K-12 | 973 students
270 Aapueo Pkwy
Makawao, HI 96768
(808) 572-3100 12.3 K-12
- Makawao Grades: 6-12 | 438 students
480 Olinda Road
Makawao, HI 96768
(808) 572-7235 10.5 6-12
- Wailuku Grades: K-12 | 260 students
1627 Mill St A
Wailuku, HI 96793
(808) 244-4190 23.2 K-12
As the COVID-19 virus spreads throughout the United States, we look at steps schools and parents can take to protect themselves from this highly contagious virus.
Raising children involves constant attention to their development and progress. Identifying learning disabilities must be part of your plan.
This article aims to show you where to look for information about school reopening protocols, school reopening communications, schools that have closed, and schools with COVID-19 cases, among other COVID-19 related issues.