Howe Military Academy
- Howe Military Academy is a unique, co-educational private boarding school for grades 7-12.
- For more than 130 years, we have been perfecting our education model so we can make life at Howe as predictable and stable as possible for your child.
- Our fusion of military structure, Christian values, and educational rigor helps students feel cared for while demanding respect, self-discipline, and academic growth.
|School Membership(s)School Assoc.||National Association of Independent Schools (NAIS)|
The Association of Boarding Schools (TABS)
|Grades Offered||Grades 7-12|
|Learning Difference Programs||Yes|
|Learning Programs Supported||IEPs, 504 Plan|
|Total Students||77 students|
|Student Body Type||Co-ed|
|% Students of Color|
State avg.: 20%
|Students by Grade|
Academics and Faculty
|Total Classroom Teachers||14 teachers|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||6:1|
National avg.: 13:1
|% Faculty w/Advanced Degree|
|Average Class Size||8 students|
|Number of AP Courses||3 courses|
|Average SAT score||1450|
|Average ACT score||24|
|Classroom Dress Code||Formal|
Finances and Admission
|Admission Deadline||Oct. 6 / Mar. 2 / rolling|
|Yearly Tuition Cost||$35,000|
|Tuition Notes||38000 for International Students|
|% on Financial Aid|
|Average Financial Aid Grant||$5,000|
National avg.: 85%
|Admissions Director||Mrs. Marisue Barton|
|Total Sports Offered||12 sports|
|Sports||Baseball, Basketball, Cheering, Drill Team, Lacrosse, Marksmanship, Riflery, Soccer, Tennis, Volleyball, Weightlifting, WrestlingBaseball, Basketball,|
Cheering, Drill Team,
|Total ExtracurricularsTotal Extra-curric.||24 extracurriculars|
|ExtracurricularsExtra-curric.||Acolytes, Alpha Delta Tau, Cannon Crew, Choir, Color Guard, CyberPatriot, Drill Team, ECS Club, Foreign Language Club, History Club, Iron Guard, Junior Classic League, L.I.F.E., Marching Band, National Honor Society, Old Guard, Raiders, Robotics, SCUBA, Sea Scouts, Speech Team, Student Government, Varsity Howe Club, Yearbook Staff Acolytes, Cannon Crew, Choir, Color Guard, CyberPatriot, Drill Team, ECS Club, History Club, Iron Guard, L.I.F.E., Marching Band, Old Guard, Raiders, Robotics, SCUBA, Sea Scouts, Speech Team, Yearbook Staff, Alpha Delta Tau,|
Foreign Language Club,
Junior Classic League,
National Honor Society,
Varsity Howe Club,
Howe is an independent, college-preparatory, co-ed, boarding school affiliated with the Episcopal Church for grades 7-12. Nestled on a 100 acre park-like setting, Howe is located in northeast Indiana`s beautiful lake country.
- Day School offered to students within a 30 mile radius of our campus for grades 7-12.
- After his death, the estate of Mr. John B. Howe, a successful educator, attorney, businessman and author, was combined with funds from Mrs. Howe and others to open the school in 1884. Ten years after the opening of the school, Howe was changed from a grammar school to a military school.
- Howe cadets learn how to transfer the benefits of military discipline, organization, and leadership to their college and career path.
- All high school cadets are required to enroll in Junior Reserve Officer Training Corps classes.
- Howe`s JROTC program has been recognized, since 1921 by the United States Army, as a program 'with distinction'.
- Now working with Trine University, Howe offers dual-credit courses to juniors and seniors. Ninety-seven percent of Howe`s graduates go on to college and University studies.
Nearby Private Schools
- School Location Miles Grades Students
- SturgisGrades: PK-12 | 44 students
70031 S Lakeview St
Sturgis, MI 49091
- HoweGrades: 1-8 | 26 students
4655 N 150 W
Howe, IN 46746
- SturgisGrades: K-6 | 65 students
306 S Nottawa Street
Sturgis, MI 49091
- SturgisGrades: 5-12 | 4 students
117 Spring St
Sturgis, MI 49091
- SturgisGrades: PK-8 | 143 students
406 S Lakeview Ave
Sturgis, MI 49091
The Howe School was instrumental in my son's success. He thrived on the structure and individualized instruction. Small class sizes made it possible to move through the curriculum at a comfortable pace, keeping class time interesting and challenging. Consistent positive reinforcement of good grades and behavior encouraged students to do the right thing. Leadership opportunities prepared them for life after Howe.
- Posted by Parent - debho
As a parent I cannot say enough about what goes on at this school. It does have a military structure but that's what has given my son the self control and confidence (which he did not have at his prior school) to thrive. It has been a beautiful thing to see this transformation. The loving but firm guidance by teachers and staff have provided my son the platform needed to maintain solid grades, participate in sports and succeed socially with his peers. I can say without hesitation that after one year at Howe my wife and I have a different kid. I look forward to the next two years as he matures and moves up the ranks. He's now thinking of how he can help other kids (this is an entirely new concept for him to be sure). Howe works tirelessly day after day to help grow these kids. As a result, from the outside looking in, they absolutely produce miracles.
- Posted by Parent - idcni
This school has been an absolute blessing for my son and family
- Posted by Parent - zentm
This is a wonderful school for all types of children. The classrooms are small and the focus is on creating a customized learning program that promotes academic excellence. All most all of the graduates go on to college, and 100% get accepted to a college. Wonderful experience - we will be returning!
- Posted by Parent - kscig