- Hualalai Academy is a K-12 college preparatory school that empowers students through an integrated curriculum and experiential learning to develop their academic, artistic, social, and physical skills.
- Hualalai Academy provides a safe, healthy, and nurturing environment that encourages exploration, community involvement, and lifelong learning.
|School Membership(s)School Assoc.||National Association of Independent Schools (NAIS)|
Hawaii Association of Independent Schools (HAIS)
|Grades Offered||Grades Kindergarten-12|
|Total Students||135 students|
|Student Body Type||Co-ed|
|% Students of Color|
State avg.: 74%
|Students by Grade|
Academics and Faculty
|Total Classroom Teachers||22 teachers|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||6:1|
National avg.: 13:1
|% Faculty w/Advanced Degree|
|Average Class Size||18 students|
|Classroom Dress Code||Casual|
(Uniform is logo t-shirt 4 days per week)
Finances and Admission
|Admission Deadline||Mar. 1 / rolling|
|Tuition Notes||K-5 12,300 6-12 12,800|
|% on Financial Aid|
|Admissions Director||Elizabeth Sharma|
|Total Sports Offered||6 sports|
|Sports||Cross Country, Dance, Golf, Sailing, Tennis, VolleyballCross Country, Dance,|
- Hualalai Academy, a K-12 college preparatory school, is the only private, independent K-12 school in the Districts of Northand South Kona on the Island of Hawai`i. Hualalai Academy began in 1985 as a K-5 satellite of Hawai`i PreparatoryAcademy in Waimea. Since it became independent of HPA in1996, Hualalai earned accreditation from the Hawai`i Association of Independent Schools and the Western Association of Schools and Colleges, established a middle school and high school, and built an ever-growing campus on14.875 acres that was recently certified a "Wildlife" Habitat bythe National Wildlife Federation.
- With a 9:1 student/teacher ratio, Hualalai students are encouraged to participate in state and national programs and have won recognition and numerous awards for academic achievement, athletic performance and artistic pursuits. Each child receives the needed support to excel at his or her own pace.
- Hualalai’s core values are based on the Hawaiian principal of kina`ole – doing the right thing, in the right way, at the righttime, in the right place, with the right people, for the right reason, with the right feeling, the first time.
- Hualalai’s “Expected School-wide Learning Results” teach students to become independent learners and develop a desire for lifelong learning:
- Think critically and problem solve
- Recognize & produce quality work
- Exhibit respect for self & others
- Appreciate the arts & diversity of all cultures
- Take responsibility for living a healthy lifestyle
- School Location Miles Grades Students
- Kailua Kona Grades: PK-12 | 269 students
74-4907 Palani Road
Kailua Kona, HI 96740
(808)329-3093 2.2 PK-12
- Kailua Grades: PK-12 | 931 students
917 Kalanianaole Highway
Kailua, HI 96734
(808)261-0707 164.6 PK-12
- Hilo Grades: PK-12 | 344 students
1000 Ululani St
Hilo, HI 96720
(808)935-4936 58.9 PK-12
- Kamuela Grades: K-6 | 48 students
65-1237 Kawaihae Rd
Kamuela, HI 96743
(808)885-0067 31.5 K-6
Every private school parent is encouraged to help the school in whatever way he can. Here are some things you can do to make a contribution to your school.
It seems to be highly likely that the COVID-19 virus will spread to the United States. We look at step schools and parents can take to protect themselves from this highly contagious virus.
This article aggregates all the articles I have written about running a small private school. Use it as a handbook and a reminder of things you should look at from time to time.