- "The Montessori School of Holmes Run opened in September of 1973 in its present location in the Friendship United Methodist Church on Gallows Road in Falls Church.
- In the fall of 1995, the parent company, Designs for Early Learning, Inc., purchased the Falls Church Children.
- Our developmental approach allows a child to learn at his or her own pace instead of making each child fit the program.
- Dr. Montessori provided a wide variety of cognitive materials and prepared an environment that would foster learning in all areas.
- Learning takes place in multi-age classrooms where children at various stages of development can learn from and with each other.
- We are dedicated to providing a safe, nurturing and stimulating environment for your child.
- All Montessori teachers employed by the school have completed, at a minimum, a Bachelor's degree by an accredited institution; in addition they are certified Montessori teachers.
- The staff consists of Montessori teachers and assistants, all of whom have several years of experience working with children.
- Our goal is to provide a warm, supportive atmosphere in which each child can learn and develop at his or her own rate.
- We are aware of the child's need and desire to be independent.
- After a lesson, a child may explore and work with an exercise as often as desired.".
|School Type||Montessori School|
|School Membership(s)School Assoc.||American Montessori Society (AMS)|
|Grades Offered||Grades 1-7|
|Total Students||43 students|
|Student Body Type||Co-ed|
|% Students of Color||
State avg.: 26%
|Students by Grade|
Academics and Faculty
|Total Classroom Teachers||8 teachers|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||5:1
National avg.: 13:1
Finances and Admission
|Admission Deadline||None / Rolling|
- School Location Miles Grades Students
AlexandriaGrades: PK-5 | 97 students
6300 Florence Ln
Alexandria, VA 22310
Mc LeanGrades: PK-6 | 239 students
1711 Kirby Road
Mc Lean, VA 22101
AlexandriaGrades: PK-6 | 128 students
8334 Mount Vernon Hwy
Alexandria, VA 22309
RestonGrades: PK-6 | 172 students
11180 Ridge Heights Rd
Reston, VA 20191
CentrevilleGrades: PK-12 | 222 students
15452 Lee Highway
Centreville, VA 20120
My children have been attending MSHR since 2007. My youngest child started started at Children's House, the preschool campus of MSHR. It was such a huge improvement from his last preschool, it made me rethink the experience my older son was having in the Falls Church City Public school system. I decided to pull my older son from public school and start him at MSHR for first grade. It was one of the best decisions I have made for my children. I never intended to keep my children in private school as we live in a very good school district, but if you read my last review, you will see I found Montessori to be a very good fit for our family. Last year my oldest son graduated from the Middle School program. I had not planned on keeping him at MSHR for Middle School, as I thought it was too small and would limit his peer group. As he approached the difficult middle school (teen) years, I discovered that limiting his peer group was a advantage and helped him to mature. He had plenty of friends both in and out of school, but he was able to avoid some of the peer pressure and bullying that comes from a larger less controlled environment. He was able to get individual attention from his teacher, but at the same time was allowed to be independent. He is now a Freshman at Paul VI High School and is doing very well. His younger brother will graduate from MSHR middle school this year and join him at PVI. I am very proud of both my boys and I feel that MSHR has done a great job preparing them for the bigger world and the rest of their academic career.
- Posted by Parent - jejan
April 21, 2017
Making your job application easy to read will help your application make the first cut.
April 20, 2017
Private high schools offer strong college counseling programs which are ongoing and fully integrated into the daily activities.
April 19, 2017
As you narrow the field in your private school search process, you will develop a short list of three to five schools which you will evaluate in detail. Visiting each school is an essential part of your due diligence.